Why rush to board?

21 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Then I just don’t understand your post # 12. 

Um, maybe it was a little, subtle dig at your slightly snarky post about people getting onboard early to drink?  We alway try to board as early as possible and never have a drink until 4 or 5 o'clock pre-dinner, and this includes times when we have had a beverage package.   Being onboard early is a good chance to check out where your table for dinner is, explore the ship a little, have lunch, or just find a spot to sit and people watch unit the cabins open up. :-)

22 minutes ago, KevInPitt said:

Would you elaborate on the difference?

If the theory is one has paid for the first day and therefore should avail themselves getting onboard as soon as feasible (to get the most out of what they paid for), the same theory should hold true for the last day also paid for so one should leave as late as allowable (to get the most out of what they paid for).

In the end, it boils down to "I want to be first on the ship and I want to be first off the ship".    There's nothing wrong with admitting that but those who justify it with "I want my money's worth" only on the front end is shallow.

Big difference between the first day and last day to us.  We can use the pool, enjoy the entertainment, wander and get used to a new ship, enjoy lunch and just the overall excitement of starting off our vacation on that first day.  As others have stated I don't relax until I am onboard so the earlier the better.

On the last day just about everything is closed.  Yes you can breakfast which we do, but you need to be out of the cabin early and there really isn't anything left to do.  Unless you have a late flight get the depressing time of leaving the ship over with.  We have driven to our last few cruises and usually do self assist just before 8 to get on the road.

But, as I and many others have said no right or wrong and very glad we all have different perspectives.  What a mess if we were all the same and all showed up at once.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KevInPitt said:

If the theory is one has paid for the first day and therefore should avail themselves getting onboard as soon as feasible (to get the most out of what they paid for), the same theory should hold true for the last day also paid for so one should leave as late as allowable (to get the most out of what they paid for).

In the end, it boils down to "I want to be first on the ship and I want to be first off the ship".    There's nothing wrong with admitting that but those who justify it with "I want my money's worth" only on the front end is shallow.

Technically, no, we haven't paid for that last day, just that last night, so while we could be slow off, I hate the crowds at the end more and so much is closed, they are now working for the next round of passengers day one so I like to disembark promptly and head to the next stage of vacation or home as is usually the case!

My DW and I are early risers as it is.. I can never sleep right in a hotel anyway.  Check out of the hotel around 9am and head to the port.. there's no use staying in the room watching reruns of Judge Judy or Property Bros..  I got a vacation to get to! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KevInPitt said:

"The last day" you are referring to is the 8th DAY.  We pay for a 7 NIGHT cruise.  Basically, my cruise is over when I got to bed on the last NIGHT.  Its just an added bonus I can eat breakfast on the 8th DAY.  This is one of the most horrible comparisons Ive ever seen on this forum.   

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KevInPitt said:

Did I say anything about getting my money's worth? Please show me where I did. That is your "shallow" asumption. Nor do I care about being either first on or off the ship. The first day with the excitement of my cruise and vacation ahead of me is very different than the last morning where it is over and the hassle of getting through airports, making flights, and then driving home is facing me. And the vibe on the ship is much different. On the last day the crew is facing turning the ship over and it is no longer all about the present group. It is now all about getting ready for the next group of passengers.

Hope I made my take on things more clear though it doesn't really matter if anyone agrees with me or not. That is the difference as to how I am affected between the first day and last morning.

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Not necessarily the case.  Last cruise, I dropped our suitcase off early and gave them a $20 tip to take good care of it.  Not only did it arrive late, but they broke the retractable handle. 

There goes that theory. 

That's funny, in 23 cruises we've never had our luggage lost or damaged and on much less tip too.  We typically only have one large bag.  Late, maybe 3 times but never what you experienced...so sorry.

We live in S. Florida, where we sail out of most often.  We generally plan to be on the ship early.  Why....we enjoy the afternoon onboard at the pool in the sun (hopefully) without the crowds.  We also enjoy 'people watching' as the arriving cruisers come through wherever we are sitting and their looks of amazement.  It brings back warm memories of what we must have looked like when we took our first cruise.  You can usually tell the 'first time cruisers'.  For us it is about getting to start to enjoy the ship before Muster Drill -- Let's face it, it is called Day 1.  We aren't heavy drinkers, so it has NOTHING to do with getting the most out of our drink package, which we don't buy.

• Like 1

That's funny, in 23 cruises we've never had our luggage lost or damaged and on much less tip too.  We typically only have one large bag.  Late, maybe 3 times but never what you experienced...so sorry.

Usually don’t tip that for a single bag, but that was the smallest I had. It was ok, because Royal gave me enough to cover the cost of a replacement handle from Samsonite. Just got the new handle and installed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Ditto the "enjoy the WHOLE day" thing but this might sound silly, and it's just a theory...but I think if you drop your luggage at 9:30 or so, its one of the first taken to the holding area on each deck and then distributed earlier.  Since we started arriving then, no problems with our luggage coming late. Its almost always at our door at 1:00 when we go to the cabin.

We usually arrive at 9:30, Todd drops me and the checked bags at the first part of the terminal with the porters and he goes to park across the street and walks back over.  I've never waited any longer than 15 minutes for him to rejoin me.  Of course that is Galveston I am referring to.  For Florida, fly in day before, but same principle applies for arriving at terminal.  We go early.

The only thing we retain and goes through the scanner with us is Todd's backpack (camera and tablet) and my beach bag (jewelry, wine and meds)...much easier to run around on the ship until 1:00 than dragging a carry-on.  Anyway, we like to be first, just our nature.  We don't mind sitting around in the lounge talking to people until 11:00 or so when they announce the suites and tier levels can board.

Of course we have to get up at 5:00 am to make the 4 hr drive by then, but we never sleep the night before anyways.  

We also are of the 'enjoy the whole day' theory yet arrive around 11am, and often have no wait time to board.  Sometimes our luggage is at our room at 1pm but usually before Muster Drill.  We like you minimize what we are 'carrying on' to only include DH's backpage (techy stuff in it with his meds) and beach bag and small makeup case that has my meds in it.  I have tried to pack an outfit for evening, just in case luggage doesn't come....never needed it though.  It is MY first day....so I want to enjoy the afternoon onboard, even if broken up by Muster Drill.    On the last morning, we get off early.   We boarded early and want to give the next cruisers their 'first day'...to enjoy -- Not that we are doing 'early morning walk off/self departure' because we feel those people who must do that because of early flights have enough to contend with.

So I am absolutely the girl that gets on early and self disembarks lol! I have a few reasons. First, I want to enjoy every second that I paid for. We always do Chops for lunch because we feel it's a more elegant way to set the tone for our vacay. Last year was my friends first time cruising and I wanted to be on early to show her around. That was Explorer. This year in Indy so I want her to have even more time to walk around. 

Biggest difference this year is we have The Key. So we will arrive at 11 and hopefully get right on board! Because of the key we can have our carry on brought to our room and then enjoy lunch at Chops. Then O cant wait to show my friend around the promenade and see her face!

On our last day we always get a daypass at a resort in Florida. This way we get off the ship early, uber to our resort and enjoy a full last day! We usually do an evening flight so we arent rushed. It's all so personal!

1 hour ago, Paulette3028 said:

We live in S. Florida, where we sail out of most often.  We generally plan to be on the ship early.  Why....we enjoy the afternoon onboard at the pool in the sun (hopefully) without the crowds.  We also enjoy 'people watching' as the arriving cruisers come through wherever we are sitting and their looks of amazement.  It brings back warm memories of what we must have looked like when we took our first cruise.  You can usually tell the 'first time cruisers'.  For us it is about getting to start to enjoy the ship before Muster Drill -- Let's face it, it is called Day 1.  We aren't heavy drinkers, so it has NOTHING to do with getting the most out of our drink package, which we don't buy.

Not being snarky or anything, but what do you do with your luggage while you’re at the pool before cabins are ready?

Dan

24 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Not being snarky or anything, but what do you do with your luggage while you’re at the pool before cabins are ready?

Dan

Under the chair.  We don't bring a lot of carryons, but one is our pool bag. Once they announce cabins are open one of us will take what we don't need to the cabin.

Also, since you are there early, no chair hits so you have a great choice of seats.  If you want find one at the end and set your bags next to it.  We aren't ones that need to be right next to the pool so never been an issue finding a spot.

Edited by akcruz
Added info

2 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

Technically, no, we haven't paid for that last day, just that last night, so while we could be slow off, I hate the crowds at the end more and so much is closed, they are now working for the next round of passengers day one so I like to disembark promptly and head to the next stage of vacation or home as is usually the case!

And us B2B cruisers can proceed with our TAD process until all you non-consecutive cruisers are off the ship. 😉

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Did I say anything about getting my money's worth? Please show me where I did. That is your "shallow" asumption. Nor do I care about being either first on or off the ship. The first day with the excitement of my cruise and vacation ahead of me is very different than the last morning where it is over and the hassle of getting through airports, making flights, and then driving home is facing me. And the vibe on the ship is much different. On the last day the crew is facing turning the ship over and it is no longer all about the present group. It is now all about getting ready for the next group of passengers.

Hope I made my take on things more clear though it doesn't really matter if anyone agrees with me or not. That is the difference as to how I am affected between the first day and last morning.

Exactly! 👍

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Under the chair.  We don't bring a lot of carryons, but one is our pool bag. Once they announce cabins are open one of us will take what we don't need to the cabin.

Also, since you are there early, no chair hits so you have a great choice of seats.  If you want find one at the end and set your bags next to it.  We aren't ones that need to be right next to the pool so never been an issue finding a spot.

Our plan as well.  Works great every time, except when the weather stinks!

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Dan

We give our luggage to porters....we only have a small backpack and my pool bag and makeup case....not all of our luggage.  I am usually wearing a bathing suit under my shorts and top, and wearing waterproof sandals.  Although I will say, I do see some people lugging around their luggage.  Difficult for sure.  Once cabins are open, we drop off whatever we don't need and continue to enjoy the afternoon.

I did not take it as being snarky....it just shows I wasn't clear as to what we had with us.  

I agree. If you want to drink that early, why not drink before boarding, somewhere where it's way cheaper? 

I've done enough drinking for a lifetime in my younger years. 6 1/2 days of opportunity to drink is way more than I need, or want. 
We're only talking a couple of hours more so why go somewhere else? We usually arrive before boarding starts and only bring small carry-ons. The bars and the Jammer don't fill up until noon. Once we've had something to eat and/or drink, we'll either wait in the Suite Lounge or tour the ship until the cabins open

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk