Dress for Cunard

airugo

45 minutes ago, Wiltonian said:

I do think that honest reply, even it it seems a bit brutal, is the best response to these questions. Advice about how to avoid the restrictions: "you can go to A & B, but not to C & D" is not really helpful. I'm sure it can be done, but, especially on formal nights, most people dressed very casually would feel conspicuous. After all, the formality and etiquette that goes with it is the USP of Cunard. To want to avoid it entirely is a bit like saying, Can I go to McDonalds and never eat a burger or fries? You can, but what's the point?

Stuart

Or booking a Disney cruise and then saying,  I really can't stand children .

• Like 5

11 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

Yo are right there. Not the right cruise line for you and we tried it and it definitely to formal and stuffy for us. Beware!!

Just because people dress in a traditional  (dare I say respectable?) manner  does not mean the atmosphere is stuffy.  The most laughter and fun we ever had at meals on any ship was at a large table in the Queen's Grill on a QM2 crossing. People were dressed elegantly on the three formal nights, but not every man had a tuxedo and not every woman wore a ball gown.

If anyone considers a suit and tie on gala nights and "jacket - tie optional" on others to be too formal and stuffy, by all means go on one of the other hundreds of ships.

• Like 9

Getting dressed up has almost become a dirty word. My husband and I have worn uniforms all our adult lives. I as a Police Officer, him as a milkman. Our upcoming cruise on the QV is a chance for us to branch out and feel like we are living in a fantasy world, even for just a short time. I can't wait to be able to step out in formal wear on the ship and enjoy myself in the evening. I know that the childhood practice of dressing in your mothers high heels is just a game, but these are MY high heels.

We chose Cunard simply for the experience of dressing up and living like the "other half". We only have two formal nights on our cruise, so it is not such a bother to dress up. My feeling is that if you can't see yourself doing that even for just two nights, then Cunard may not be for you. I know that I have had so much fun getting our wardrobes together. My husband is not as excited as I am, but he will still enjoy himself.

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Stella1250 said:

We chose Cunard simply for the experience of dressing up and living like the "other half". We only have two formal nights on our cruise, so it is not such a bother to dress up.

My husband is not as excited as I am, but he will still enjoy himself.

I agree that dressing up is not such a bother, and can actually be quite enjoyable for those of us who rarely dress to the nines.

On our first crossing, I worried about dressing, as neither my husband no I are sartorially inclined. T-shirts and shorts are our normal daily wear. We NEVER dressed up. But the experience on the QM2 taught us that we can dress up, be comfortable (even dance), and look forward to it. He bought a suit that could be worn as a tux or with a less formal jacket. 

Since our crossing last year we’ve attended several more formal occasions and enjoyed them. It’s been a pleasant revelation to learn something new at this age.

• Like 8

Last year when I did a transatlantic on the QM2 I would say about 1/3 of the men did not have a tie on for the smart attire nights, and for the gala nights about 1/5 wore a suit with a regular tie rather than a DJ/Tuxedo.  So you certainly wouldn't look out of place if you went to the more relaxed end of the dress code.  

However if that is too much I would say that you'd probably be better off with another cruise line - it would most likely be cheaper too!

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 1:41 PM, rjsretired said:

My husband does not like to wear a tie or a Jacket.  Does this mean that Cunard is not the right ship line for us?

It depends what you mean by “...does not like...”.   Other things being equal, I prefer wearing chinos, a collared shirt, no jacket or tie most of the time.  When the occasion indicates, I am perfectly happy to comply - even to the (rare) extent of wearing black tie to an evening wedding.

Someone who refuses to comply - or is simply very unhappy while complying- with a dress code should accept the fact that ships (or other environments) with applied dress codes are not right for him/her.  There are plenty of “do your own thing” opportunities elsewhere.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lovetotraveltx said:

How many formal nights will be on the Queen Mary 2 transatlantic crossing to Southampton. And, we are new to this line. Is a Tie absolutely required? Thank you

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

There will be 3 formal/gala nights on a typical crossing. A tie is required if you want to use the Main Dining room and the majority of the bars/entertainment venues after 6pm.

Just to clarify,

a tie is not required on the nights that are not "gala" (i.e., formal), the other four nights.  However, for gents a jacket IS required even without a tie.

On the (probably three) gala nights, a Black Tie ensemble is preferred (why would you wear black tie, without a tie?), but a dark suit WITH a tie is acceptable (i.e., "Black Tie Optional" code).

So here we are in May Airugo. How was the crossing? Was the dress code too much for you or was it one of those "jump in the deep end" experiences that you will always remember. Please share your adventure with those of us between QM2 sailings.

Dee

• Like 2

I am always somewhat surprised by the reluctance of so many to dress appropriately for a sailing on a Cunard ship.  Are there really that many men who do not own a suit (or never have occasion to wear one)?  

Sure, everything else being equal, I would prefer khakis and an open collar shirt;  but the brief experience of a sit down dinner for a week or so is not equal to day to day living.  After all, part of the reason to travel is to have a change from the everyday routine:  life should not be lived permanently in ones play clothes (or non-dress work clothes).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I am always somewhat surprised by the reluctance of so many to dress appropriately for a sailing on a Cunard ship.  Are there really that many men who do not own a suit (or never have occasion to wear one)?  

Agreed!

Why would a person accept a invitation to a "Black Tie Optional" dinner party, only to dress in shorts and sandals because "dressing up" is just too inconvenient?  Much less, why would they pay extra and travel farther to do the same?  It is honoring the wishes of the hosts, and of the other attendees, to dress appropriately for the occasion.

There are plenty of other ships and itineraries where shorts and flip-flops are de rigeur, it seems that in most cases rejection of the dress code on Cunard is just making a statement, and one that won't change the culture nor probably be cared about by anyone else.

My first cruise experience was on Carnival, in the 1980's  In those days even on the basic Caribbean cruise there was a "formal" night where full-on black tie was perfectly common.  How far the industry has dropped with respect to dress. Brand differentiation is a good thing, patrons can vote with their money and have different experiences.  Why try to drive the experience to be like all of the less formal?

• Like 3

A quick question about the Black and White ball. Does everyone actually wear only those colours. I have many beautiful evening gowns but none in black or white , want to know if I really need to buy a black evening dress , I only cruise once every couple of years and first time on Cunard ( except for the 2 nighters to Bruge) , so not sure when I would wear it again  🙂

thank you 

On previous themed gala nights, the extent to which people have followed the theme has varied widely. For example,  in my first cruise on Queen Victoria there was a Victorian Ball. Some people went all out - full period dresses and men with fake facial hair, canes and top hats. I’d brought a top hat with me, which remains unopened in its original plastic wrapping at the top of my wardrobe!  

You certainly won’t be an outlier if you don’t strictly follow the theme of a gala night, in particular, if it not a ‘heavily’ themed event (and even then many (most?) people don’t bother with the specifics). 

The theme is mostly about the Queens Room, not the whole ship. The ones that are easy to do, like black and white or Royal Cunard (red and gold IIRC) are more visible all around the ship than the ones that require true "costumes" like Victorian. The one "costume" theme that I've seen followed most is "roaring 20's." It's easy for men, as they can just do a tux, but a lot of ladies (including me) bought "flapper" dresses. I love mine--it wasn't expensive (Ebay), it's easy to pack, and it's fun to wear. 

• Like 1

What a timely discussion! So on formal nights, would we be barred from entertainment in the theater if my husband doesn't wear a tie?  We don't mind eating in the Lido, but do enjoy the entertainmen on ships.  Cunard has the only transatlantic schedule that works for our plans in Europe.

We recently did an Indian Ocean cruise on Queen Victoria.

I don't know if the theatre dress code is enforced on transatlantic crossings but on our cruise it wasn't. I often saw men without ties or jackets. 

11 hours ago, Peggy Tuten said:

What a timely discussion! So on formal nights, would we be barred from entertainment in the theater if my husband doesn't wear a tie?  We don't mind eating in the Lido, but do enjoy the entertainmen on ships.  Cunard has the only transatlantic schedule that works for our plans in Europe.

Per the guidelines, a tuxedo or dark suit (with tie) is expected in most of the ship on "Gala" nights.

It's unusual for the ship's staff to approach people to remind them of the dress code.

11 hours ago, Peggy Tuten said:

On our crossing in August, 2018, gentlemen were reminded of the expected dress requirements at the theatre, Commodore Club, and Queen’s Room. 

• Like 1