Internet Rant/Vent...

MsSoCalCruiser

15 minutes ago, reiddg said:

Yes, you can buy unlimited internet by the day.  I just got off the Caribbean Princess on 2/9 and it was offered at $9.99/day if you bought for the entire cruise on the first day.  My wife and I each get 250 minutes (14 day cruise) and I thought I was going to have to buy a day or two toward the end of the cruise but I ended up not needing to.  I believe the daily price was slightly higher than the $9.99 but can't recall the exact price.  As unreliable as MedallionNet is, they should be giving it away.  My Wi-Fi connection was constantly dropping and connecting was a pain in the rear.  40+ years in IT and I've never seen such a shoddy implementation of technology.

Unreliable?? Thats not good to hear that.   When we sailed the CB in September it was lightning fast and better than my internet at home.

FWIW......thats another reason we love the unlimited then I don't have to worry about burning up minutes and keeping track.

Just stayed logged in 24/7.

3 hours ago, madjohn said:

I think the internet could be the end of my cruising.  I loved getting on a ship and not seeing people on there phones.  I loved not having mine and not using it.

I never go through my free minutes, but then it takes only a few minutes to check emails every day 

7 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Unreliable?? Thats not good to hear that.   When we sailed the CB in September it was lightning fast and better than my internet at home.

FWIW......thats another reason we love the unlimited then I don't have to worry about burning up minutes and keeping track.

Once connected, the performance was acceptable.  However, while on the ship, every time I picked up my phone to look at the ship activities or use one of the ocean apps, my Wi-Fi had disconnected and it usually took 2-3 attempts to get back on MedallionNet.  The IT staff just shrugged and said that was normal...smh.

I agree that unlimited would be great.  My wife and I own our own business and need to be on the internet.  We've yet to burn through our free minutes but have come close.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Another thought... There was something going on with MedallionNet most of our cruise on the Caribbean Princess.  By mid-afternoon of embarkation day, the line for the internet cafe went the entire beam back to the dining room.  I was told a high number of people had their minutes erased.  I wasn't able to connect to Wi-Fi until after we departed.  Most mornings of the cruise, the line averaged 8-10 deep for Tech help whenever I walked by it.  I've never seen it that bad before.

Edited by reiddg

Just now, reiddg said:

Another thought... There was something going on with MedallionNet most of our cruise on the Caribbean Princess.  By mid-afternoon of embarkation day, the line for the internet cafe went the entire team back to the dining room.  I was told a high number of people had their minutes erased.  I wasn't able to connect to Wi-Fi until after we departed.  Most mornings of the cruise, the line averaged 8-10 deep for Tech help whenever I walked by it.

That sucks and something I would not like to deal with during my cruise.

On the Regal in Nov I had the same issue toward the end of my cruise.

I was really frustrated as it was disconnecting constantly and the lines were similar to what you saw.

I really think they have a ways to go to get MedallionNet to work the way to is supposed to.

I thought they would have had all these issues sorted out by now especially on the CB. 😬

13 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

That sucks and something I would not like to deal with during my cruise.

On the Regal in Nov I had the same issue toward the end of my cruise.

I was really frustrated as it was disconnecting constantly and the lines were similar to what you saw.

I really think they have a ways to go to get MedallionNet to work the way to is supposed to.

I thought they would have had all these issues sorted out by now especially on the CB. 😬

I was in the Regal at the end of November when they were converting floors to medallion.  MedallionNet averaged 2-3 outages a day.  I was talking to one of the IT people brought on board for the conversion.  He was touting the new technology but clammed up when I started asking pointed technical questions about the outages.  Honestly, I think it's a very poor design and they're just overwhelmed and not able to handle the issues.  To make matters worse, Marketing won the battle on communicating medallionNet to the guests and as a result,  there are no clear, consistent, user friendly instructions on how to connect and use it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

waltd,  it is ironic that Princess is one of the only lines that does not offer free internet for suite guests.  I have sailed both Royal Caribbean and Norwegian; and both offer free internet for suite guests; plus a lot of other features too

They used to but that was discontinued around 2012/2013.

We were on the CB in November but did not buy the unlimited as I really need to stay off the internet and enjoy my cruise.  I managed to get by using only the P/E internet minutes checking email daily.  One time near the start of the cruise I lost my connection so I shut down my computer.  Later when I tried to access the internet it said all my time was used.  Down to the IC to complain and they without any questions restored my time.  There was one other person they were working with at the time.  I never say a line at their counter even though I spend a lot of time in the Piazza.  I was getting 100+ mbps up and down.  

10 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I think $59 is a great price for the new high speed internet.  Under the old system even with free platnium minutes; plus buy some more; the price would be more than $59.

The free minutes that Platinum/Elite passengers get have a cost higher than $59 if you had to purchase those minutes.

Essentially, Princess is charging you $59 to give up your free minutes that cost more than $59 if purchased.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, reiddg said:

Yes, you can buy unlimited internet by the day.  I just got off the Caribbean Princess on 2/9 and it was offered at $9.99/day if you bought for the entire cruise on the first day.  My wife and I each get 250 minutes (14 day cruise) and I thought I was going to have to buy a day or two toward the end of the cruise but I ended up not needing to.  I believe the daily price was slightly higher than the $9.99 but can't recall the exact price.  As unreliable as MedallionNet is, they should be giving it away.  My Wi-Fi connection was constantly dropping and connecting was a pain in the rear.  40+ years in IT and I've never seen such a shoddy implementation of technology.

Yet on the Regal we didn't have a bit of a problem for the entire cruise. We got the $9.99 a day several days into the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bemis12 said:

I suspect that's not what he's talking about.

Look around when you're not on a ship and you'll see the same thing.  People sitting in restaurants not talking because they are texting, checking Facebook, etc.

It's an absolute scourge. The smart phones are causing the death of human interaction.

I disagree. 

The deal that I have read multiple posts about is a 25% discount for Platinum and above if you purchase Medallion Net the first day of the cruise, hence $52.45 for a seven day cruise ($9.99 X 7 X .75).  It's a tiny amount better than the $59.99 that is advertised to all passengers pre-cruise.  Sure seems like Princess is phasing out the Platinum / Elite Internet perk...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Doug R. said:

Yet on the Regal we didn't have a bit of a problem for the entire cruise. We got the $9.99 a day several days into the cruise.

That's good.  It's too bad there's so much inconsistency in guest experiences and the information being disseminated.  

20 hours ago, caribill said:

The free minutes that Platinum/Elite passengers get have a cost higher than $59 if you had to purchase those minutes.

Essentially, Princess is charging you $59 to give up your free minutes that cost more than $59 if purchased.

That’s how I was looking at it... 

12 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

The deal that I have read multiple posts about is a 25% discount for Platinum and above if you purchase Medallion Net the first day of the cruise, hence $52.45 for a seven day cruise ($9.99 X 7 X .75).  It's a tiny amount better than the $59.99 that is advertised to all passengers pre-cruise.  Sure seems like Princess is phasing out the Platinum / Elite Internet perk...

I’ve already pre-paid everything so I guess there is no discount available for me this cruise.  I will try to remember that for the next time.  It does seem like that perk is being phased out… 

On 2/10/2019 at 6:33 PM, reiddg said:

Once connected, the performance was acceptable.  However, while on the ship, every time I picked up my phone to look at the ship activities or use one of the ocean apps, my Wi-Fi had disconnected and it usually took 2-3 attempts to get back on MedallionNet.  The IT staff just shrugged and said that was normal...smh.

I agree that unlimited would be great.  My wife and I own our own business and need to be on the internet.  We've yet to burn through our free minutes but have come close.

I hope I have good luck with the MedallionNet next month.  I had such bad luck with the regular per minute Internet a few weeks ago on the Ruby Princess that I burned through my platinum minutes in no time. 

$59 for unlimited internet for 7 days is a screaming bargain.  What is the catch?

Perhaps this is a temporary transition price?

If $59 is the actually price long term, then I concur it should be the benefit for the Elite internet.  Or at a minimum the unlimited should be offered at a significant discount.  Celebrity offered Elite stautus members a 30% discount for the unlimited (or 90 minutes), Elite plus is a 35 % discount (or around 240 minutes).  But the cost of the unlimited package is 3 or 4 times as much.

I suspect Princess is hesitate to start offering unlimited internet to people with Elite status, because of the abuse (sharing) when they previously provided the unlimited internet as a benefit.  At least the laundry benefit is easier to monitor.

The bottom line is the current standard  unlimited internet ($59) pricing with no benefit does not make much sense for Elite status cruisers.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 5:34 PM, XBGuy said:

I'm thinking out loud, here.  My wife and I are both Platinum level and, so, we both get an allocation of internet minutes for every cruise.  Typically, my wife runs out of minutes from her allocation after five or six days.  What she does, then, is to log on as me, and start on my allocation.  This has never happened, but let's, for the sake of discussion. assume that she runs through my allocation. also.  I think there is some option to by internet time by the day.  (I may be wrong, there.)  Can she not, then, buy time by the day, or is there some point on the cruise where buying internet time is not available?

On day 1 of your cruise, platinum and probably elite members have the option to purchase and additional 100 minutes for twenty dollars, or an additional  250 minutes (i could be wrong here) for 40 dollars. That would make it a total of 250 and 350 minutes.   Last cruise I bought the $40 dollar additional package. I could be wrong on the number of minutes but not the cost. So I actually think that unlimited for $59 is a good deal IF you plan to USE a lot of minutes. 

On 2/12/2019 at 1:48 PM, lolane1 said:

On day 1 of your cruise, platinum and probably elite members have the option to purchase and additional 100 minutes for twenty dollars, or an additional  250 minutes (i could be wrong here) for 40 dollars. That would make it a total of 250 and 350 minutes.   Last cruise I bought the $40 dollar additional package. I could be wrong on the number of minutes but not the cost. So I actually think that unlimited for $59 is a good deal IF you plan to USE a lot of minutes. 

No question that $59 is a good deal. It is available to everyone even if not Platinum or Elite. Basically it takes what many thought was the best Platinum/Elite benefit and makes it worthless.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2019 at 11:57 AM, jagoffee said:

$59 for unlimited internet for 7 days is a screaming bargain.  What is the catch?

Perhaps this is a temporary transition price?

If $59 is the actually price long term, then I concur it should be the benefit for the Elite internet.  Or at a minimum the unlimited should be offered at a significant discount.  Celebrity offered Elite stautus members a 30% discount for the unlimited (or 90 minutes), Elite plus is a 35 % discount (or around 240 minutes).  But the cost of the unlimited package is 3 or 4 times as much.

I suspect Princess is hesitate to start offering unlimited internet to people with Elite status, because of the abuse (sharing) when they previously provided the unlimited internet as a benefit.  At least the laundry benefit is easier to monitor.

The bottom line is the current standard  unlimited internet ($59) pricing with no benefit does not make much sense for Elite status cruisers.

Amen!

On 2/12/2019 at 10:57 AM, jagoffee said:

Actually the unlimited package can be abused. Buy one package and allow all of your friends to use it (one at a time, of course).

On 2/12/2019 at 10:57 AM, jagoffee said:

The previous benefit was for Platinum and Elite. The change they claimed had nothing to do with  sharing but had to do with changing of software programs that they were using for internet. They also indicated that 90 or 95% of people did not use that much internet and the amount that they were providing would meet the needs of most Platinum and Elite cruises (back in the day).

11 hours ago, caribill said:

Actually the unlimited package can be abused. Buy one package and allow all of your friends to use it (one at a time, of course).

True, but at least Princess gets $59.

7 hours ago, Coral said:

The previous benefit was for Platinum and Elite. The change they claimed had nothing to do with  sharing but had to do with changing of software programs that they were using for internet. They also indicated that 90 or 95% of people did not use that much internet and the amount that they were providing would meet the needs of most Platinum and Elite cruises (back in the day).

I have often wondered about the change.  They also removed any internet benefit from the suite benefits.  Thanks for the explanation.

If it truly was only related to a software issue, perhaps Princess will return to free unlimited internet as the internet benefit.  Although I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

True, but at least Princess gets $59.

I have often wondered about the change.  They also removed any internet benefit from the suite benefits.  Thanks for the explanation.

If it truly was only related to a software issue, perhaps Princess will return to free unlimited internet as the internet benefit.  Although I have my doubts.

I doubt it also! I tried to find the explanation that Princess provided and can't from way back when.

15 minutes ago, Coral said:

I doubt it also! I tried to find the explanation that Princess provided and can't from way back when.

This is a comment back around 2012 when Princess eliminated the unlimited for suites.  I would just think it was because too many people in line at the same time.

We apologize for any disappointment caused by the removal of the unlimited Internet access for our suite passengers effective the end of June," Candy told Cruise Critic. "While we don't wish to take away existing benefits, the limitations on shipboard bandwidth prompted our decision." 

The line would not clarify what was responsible for the "bandwidth limitations," though some Cruise Critic members posited that some people may be abusing the perk by offering their unlimited-access codes to non-suite passengers.