Help! No passport, no birth certificate!

CoyoteDreemurr

So my  husband actually dealt with this and it wasn't a big problem for us.

His birth certificate had his name spelled one way, his social security card another, and his drivers license yet another (things were much more relaxed in the early '80s).

Think Roberto Antonio, Robert Anthony, Robert Anthonio.

We booked under 'Robert' and got hassled on one of our cruises so he applied for a Passport. There was a place to explain name differences and he just explained that while he birth certificate says 'Roberto' he goes by 'Robert' and they issued his passport as Robert Anthony.

I'd really like to see the name discrepancy OPs mom has between what she is known as and what is on her B.C.

3 hours ago, Princess Ariel said:

I'd really like to see the name discrepancy OPs mom has between what she is known as and what is on her B.C.

Exactly.  I don't think this is nearly the BFD that it's being made out to be, and I'm sure if the OP's mom went on the ship with the original BC and her marriage license and her driver license, nobody would even bat an eye at the whole thing.  

Oh, this ever changing story. My mom ended up getting the "additional info" that was requested, which was proof that she used the new spelling before 18. She overnighted the old social security statements to the Secretary of State and should be getting a birth certificate in the mail very soon! She'll go to the city to get a passport in a day after she gets the certificate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoyoteDreemurr said:

Oh, this ever changing story. My mom ended up getting the "additional info" that was requested, which was proof that she used the new spelling before 18. She overnighted the old social security statements to the Secretary of State and should be getting a birth certificate in the mail very soon! She'll go to the city to get a passport in a day after she gets the certificate. 

Great news!

21 hours ago, CoyoteDreemurr said:

Please come back and tell us she got her new birth certificate and passport. 

I hope this will be her first of many cruises with her new ID. 

Oh lord, the update I didn't want. We got letters today saying they need MORE STUFF. Not to mention it's stuff we already filled out. I feel like all hope is lost. I don't really even want to go anymore. So thanks a lot to this political system, you ruined my trip. 

5 minutes ago, CoyoteDreemurr said:

Oh lord, the update I didn't want. We got letters today saying they need MORE STUFF. Not to mention it's stuff we already filled out. I feel like all hope is lost. I don't really even want to go anymore. So thanks a lot to this political system, you ruined my trip. 

Actually, the "political system" didn't ruin your trip.  It's more of your making, actually your mother's making, in not checking that everyone's ID stuff was proper some time ago, plus it seems she was pretty insistent that she wasn't interested in doing an actual, legal, name change to make things right.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Actually, the "political system" didn't ruin your trip.  It's more of your making, actually your mother's making, in not checking that everyone's ID stuff was proper some time ago, plus it seems she was pretty insistent that she wasn't interested in doing an actual, legal, name change to make things right.

I should have figured that...I tend to ruin things.

4 hours ago, CoyoteDreemurr said:

My mom's actually going to take a road trip to our capital to try and fix this nightmare. Hopefully that does something...

How would that possibly help? Or in any way be a better idea than either completing the forms that the passport agency required or working with your state to get a proper birth certificate, (which is not a federal issue)?

12 hours ago, CoyoteDreemurr said:

My mom's actually going to take a road trip to our capital to try and fix this nightmare. Hopefully that does something...

Is your state capital where vital statistics like marriage and birth certificates are stored?

I presume Mom knows exactly where to go and what to take with her. 

On 3/7/2019 at 11:23 PM, CoyoteDreemurr said:

I should have figured that...I tend to ruin things.

Aw, I'm sorry -  this sounds so sad. It seems as if it's been a learning experience for you and maybe people reading this thread, as well. I hope it all works out.

I'm fascinated by this thread...so many variables it seems. I assume the route to getting a BC varies by state, but my husband had to get one for our upcoming cruise (needs to renew his lost passport also) and all he had to do was fill out a form online asking a bunch of questions and they mailed it to him. He didn't have to show any proof of who he was he just needed to know the answers to the questions.

Sorry to the OP and hope you can get things worked out!

I made our second cruise plans using Mike for my husband, but his BC has Michel. His drivers license is Mike. No one noticed. We were on the ship and he still had a blue card instead of red. We went to ask why and that's when I realized how I had put in his name in as Michel for first cruise. They simply changed  Mike to Michel and gave him a red card. 

11 hours ago, CoyoteDreemurr said:

So I found out for sure (probably), I'm going on the cruise with my dad. Just thought I should update. I'll post pictures if there's a place to do so here. 

soooo, I guess mom doesn't want to use her original BC for this cruise, like PP said in post #153?

I'm sure if the OP's mom went on the ship with the original BC and her marriage license and her driver license, nobody would even bat an eye at the whole thing. 

41 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

soooo, I guess mom doesn't want to use her original BC for this cruise, like PP said in post #153?

If you go back through the thread to post #102, the problem is that SHE CAN'T FIND/HAS LOST the original birth certificate.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

If you go back through the thread to post #102, the problem is that SHE CAN'T FIND/HAS LOST the original birth certificate.  EM

by now she could have gotten a replacement with the original spelling. Surely, since she used her BC before, she was aware of the original spelling. But she doesn't want a BC with the original spelling, and that's why she started all this nonsense RIGHT BEFORE THE CRUISE. Some people create their own problems just so they could solve them.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:31 PM, tntodom said:

I'm fascinated by this thread...so many variables it seems. I assume the route to getting a BC varies by state, but my husband had to get one for our upcoming cruise (needs to renew his lost passport also) and all he had to do was fill out a form online asking a bunch of questions and they mailed it to him. He didn't have to show any proof of who he was he just needed to know the answers to the questions.

I had the same thing.  It was through VitalCheck for FL.

The questions were such that only the person, or someone REALLY close would know all the answers.

What was scary, was that they had that much information on me in their database.