Crown & Anchor Diamond Plus cutbacks continue!

8 hours ago, pcur said:

Now, now, be nice to jc, Patti.  Just because "some" of us have a lot of "free" time in the near future, doesn't mean we have to make jc feel bad.   :classic_biggrin:

(no, I'm not stalking you; I just stumbled on this post)

It is ok Peggy and Patty, we are off to downunder and several days on Heron Island before we sail across the South Pacific to Hawaii.  When I get home on May 5, then I will officially be out of vacation.

John, I did a time share presentation at a shabby Holiday Inn in 1985 where we got free Disney tickets after 4 hours of hounding, to make it worse, the Cardinals lost in the World Series to the Kansas City Royals while we were in the ant infested HI in Kissimmee Florida.  Somehow over the last 34 years I have managed to avoid another Time Share offering.  Either I figured something out then or I have been extremely lucky or unlucky since.🤡

jc

9 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

It is ok Peggy and Patty, we are off to downunder and several days on Heron Island before we sail across the South Pacific to Hawaii.  When I get home on May 5, then I will officially be out of vacation.

John, I did a time share presentation at a shabby Holiday Inn in 1985 where we got free Disney tickets after 4 hours of hounding, to make it worse, the Cardinals lost in the World Series to the Kansas City Royals while we were in the ant infested HI in Kissimmee Florida.  Somehow over the last 34 years I have managed to avoid another Time Share offering.  Either I figured something out then or I have been extremely lucky or unlucky since.🤡

jc

We were in St Louis for that debacle.  I used to have a button that said St Louis won. 

8 hours ago, pcur said:

Now, now, be nice to jc, Patti.  Just because "some" of us have a lot of "free" time in the near future, doesn't mean we have to make jc feel bad.   :classic_biggrin:

(no, I'm not stalking you; I just stumbled on this post)

I have a stalker. Its wierd

6 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

I think people have much emotion to this, being that Diamond Plus & above is both hard and long to get to.  Add in the significant cost, and you can see whey people get so emotional.  I would be a Diamond Plus by now, but saw what was going on, and went to do other lines, to expand my horizons. 

Best decision I have done: MSC Yacht Club was great: in the near future Crystal, Cunard, Windstar, Holland, and yes even Carnival.  I really want to do a 30+ day Transatlantic on their new ship.  Royal's old slogan: "get out there," you know their right, it is a big world of cruising out there; it is time to explore more of it, without RCL!

30 days, are you rowing across?

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

30 days, are you rowing across?

It is three, back to back cruises in one: Carnival Mardi Gras, Southampton--NYC Transatlantic, NYC--Canada, & NYC--Port Everglades Southern Caribbean Redepositing Cruise.

Edited by gkbiiii

13 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Since we were platinum (now D++), we have always got a C&A Balcony discount.  Reports that it has little value depend on your financial status I guess.  For us, even $50 is greatly appreciated.  After all, you won't throw 50 bucks in the trash.

Perhaps I should have used the term "lesser value" instead of "little value". You are right, $50 is still $50 and I would never throw away or even turn down an offer for $5, much less $50.

It's just that when as perk is advertised as $200 or $250 off, that's 10% off on a $2,000-$2,500 cruise.  Reduce that to $50, and now I have a 2% - 2.5%

I'll take it but is it enough of a loyalty perk to keep me coming back? No, not on it's own but combined with many other perks - and the fact I like Royals product - its a nice little bonus.

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Andy's experience is related to Oasis ships for the most part. Primarily CK and the SL. 

He also likes to cruise off season and take advantage of low prices.  Guess who else does that?

Perhaps Andy should try another ship.  There are beautiful suites on every ship. If I knew a ship did not provide  the best  experience for me., I would definitely  try another ship, or even cruise line. 

Forget about the Pinnacles or D+ infiltrating ( at least those groups have paid their way to benefits ) and diluting  benefits, the new kid on the block is Key. For just a few hundred dollars per cruise it provides terrific benefits for those not in a suite or in  any higher loyalty tier.  It was recently reported that Chops ( free embarkation  lunch for key) made the restaurant  so crowded, that those who wanted to pay could not get seated.  This group gets the same or better seating  in many  venues.   They get a steak and egg breakfast on debarkation day.  They get carry on luggage drop off and valet to the cabin. and on and on. Oh, and it is basically the same price as internet which is included for Key.  

The non suite pinnacle passenger is no issue for me.  It is the same as a person who pays  to fly  first  class and the person who flies the airline often and uses points for the first class ticket.  Both both have the same right to be in the pre flight lounge, and have a seat in first class.

M

I agree the suite guest shoild have priority over pinnacles.  How about allowing the suite guest to have the concierge reserve seats for them in the lounge if they are going to attend that evening.   Pinnacles can have any seats not reserved.  Just like paying airline first class passengers get their seats and upper level loyalty customers can have first class seats if available.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, countess5 said:

Andy

I have read many of your concerns about  Pinnacles and on my cruise last week as a suite person had no issues with Pinnacles. I actually loved talking to the ones I met and hearing of thier stories. There were 462 Diamond and Diamond Plus that took over everthing. If there had been 100 Pinnacles I would not of had an issue, you need to check your thought processes on this. Issue,. Just saying 

Not sure what Class ship you were on but if you were on Harmony of Symphony, a 100+ P’s WOULD HAVE an impact on the Suite experience. (if in full suite). 

7 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

As an average Joe gold cruiser, I too found the $2.50 charge for popcorn laughable. 

AGREE - We  remark that you can get as many lobster tails as you want at dinner,  but  they charge $2.50 for 10 cents worth of popcorn.

m

13 hours ago, countess5 said:

Andy

I have read many of your concerns about  Pinnacles and on my cruise last week as a suite person had no issues with Pinnacles. I actually loved talking to the ones I met and hearing of thier stories. There were 462 Diamond and Diamond Plus that took over everthing. If there had been 100 Pinnacles I would not of had an issue, you need to check your thought processes on this. Issue,. Just saying 

I experienced the same thing with my December, January, and February cruises on Oasis.  No problems at all, could always find plenty of seats in the SL, and always seated on time with our CK reservations.  We met some very nice Pinnies.  🙂  Could not use the DL, however, as it was totally over crowded with the combined Ds and D+ on all three cruises.  

Perhaps we've never had any issue with the number of loyalty passengers on  any  ship because  we rarely use the lounge in the evening.  If we do  it is generally something  like 7-7:30.  Maybe it clears out for those at dinner.

I hear the numbers and  the high  numbers seem to have no impact, even for morning coffee.  I know some on CC  have posted comments and photos of  long lines  to get a cup of specialty coffee but we have not experienced the issue even on a TA, with lots of suite and/or high end cruisers.   A few cruises ago I think there were 4 people in coffee  line  in front of me.  It took maybe 10 minutes for get coffee.  So for me that is a non issues, perhaps for others  a 10 minute wait  is a basis for complaining .

M

23 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I agree the suite guest shoild have priority over pinnacles.  How about allowing the suite guest to have the concierge reserve seats for them in the lounge if they are going to attend that evening.   Pinnacles can have any seats not reserved.  Just like paying airline first class passengers get their seats and upper level loyalty customers can have first class seats if available.  

And I agree.  Suites should have priority. 

I have said that Pins may someday get kicked out of the SL on some cruises.  Just like the D+ got kicked out on a few cruises.

It's not the hair on fire problem that it's made out to be.

11 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

So book a suite on another line, problem solved.

O, that is not the problem, the problem is you... You like RCI, and want to change it to make it perfect for you.  

Too bad so sad.

jc

Just to play devils advocate - and because I have lot of free time on my hands today - say you decide to purchase The Key so you can get reserved Flowrider time without the long lines. After shelling out $280 ($20 pp/pn for 7 nights),  you show up the first day and find a long line of non-KEY Pinnacle's in front of you.  Yeah, I know it'll never happen but bear with me for the sake of example.

You wouldn't be annoyed that an advertised benefit (Key member only Flowrider times) turned out to be less than true?

Be honest.

9 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Just to play devils advocate - and because I have lot of free time on my hands today - say you decide to purchase The Key so you can get reserved Flowrider time without the long lines. After shelling out $280 ($20 pp/pn for 7 nights),  you show up the first day and find a long line of non-KEY Pinnacle's in front of you.  Yeah, I know it'll never happen but bear with me for the sake of example.

You wouldn't be annoyed that an advertised benefit (Key member only Flowrider times) turned out to be less than true?

Be honest.

Do Pinnacles get flow rider privileges.  Based on the age and  physical agility of many upper tier  cruisers I suspect  it would never be an issue.  

If Key and Pinnacles have to share the reserved private  time slot, it is no problem, as  both groups are still getting private hours.  

M

Well, it is a silly argument.  Anyone booking a suite who does any research know that people who can enter the suite lounge falls into two classes either in a full suite or a pinnacle.  By the rules of RCI the Pinnacles are not violating the rules nor has RCI changed the rules.  On the Key times on the flowrider, it says it is specific to the Key holders.  Even if they limit the Key to 100 Keys, if 20 Keys show up for the flowrider hour it will suck.  RCI doesn’t have to limit the Key to 100, they might decide to sell 1000 keys, in which case the Key will be meaningless.  Further, when RCI introduced Star class suites.  Those Star class people, can already go to the head of the line at the flowrider (it is my understanding, have never seen it happen) is that fair to the people who have been standing in the line for the last hour?

The sailings that have an abundance of Ps are completely predictable.  

JC

2 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Do Pinnacles get flow rider privileges.  Based on the age and  physical agility of many upper tier  cruisers I suspect  it would never be an issue.  

If Key and Pinnacles have to share the reserved private  time slot, it is no problem, as  both groups are still getting private hours.  

M

No C&A level assures flowrider access, Star class suites do, and not just the private times, but any public time.  

JC

27 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Be honest.

Good example.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Well, it is a silly argument.

Yes, I know. That's why I said it would never happen but bear with me for the sake of arguments sake. 

I guess to make it a more valid argument, you'd be okay with being bumped from KEY flow rider reserved time that you paid for by Star Class suite guest?  Or having Star guest continually cut in front of you to the point, the KEY benefit is practically useless?

My only real point is that I see some validity in what Andy C is saying.  Maybe he is making a mountain out of a molehill, I don't know....I wasn't there.

I was trying to create a relatable scenario for the sake of empathy. Given enough time, I could probably come up with more where a perceived benefit is "cheapen" .....like I said, I have a lot of free time today. :classic_biggrin: