shorts in dinning rooms

17 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

That's a pretty big stretch. If someone really thinks of Golden Corral as a "nice restaurant", do you really think they're going to walk into the MDR or one of the specialty restaurants and think "Hey! this looks just like Golden Corral!"?

16 hours ago, Sitzmark said:

I wouldn't think of the Golden Corral as a nice restaurant.  With that said the Olive garden near us is as nice or nicer than any cruise ship dining room I've seen and probably has a better wine selection.  

I also wouldn't think that Golden Corral is a nice restaurant, but for someone who mainly frequents fast food it is a different level.  Growing up I did know people who felt that Ponderosa, Bonanza, Old Country Buffet were places for special occasion meals.  I don't think anyone would find MDR looks like Golden Corral but a restaurant that serves the food choices it does (steak and seafood options) is still considered a nice restaurant by some. 

Mainstream cruise lines reach a varied demographic of passengers so to simply state "wear what you would to a nice restaurant at home" leaves a lot of room open for clothing that might not meet ship guidelines.

7 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Growing up I did know people who felt that Ponderosa, Bonanza, Old Country Buffet were places for special occasion meals.

Perhaps this is where the notion that the cruise MDR is such a grand experience comes from.  I suppose if Ponderosa is a fancy meal to someone, then the MDR by comparison would be pretty nice.  

• Like 1

I agree.  We have seen a large farm to table movement in our area and the fresh, locally sourced ingredients do tend to taste better.  I've never gone hungry on a cruise, but the mass prepared food rarely wows me although I've heard others be amazed at how good it is.

I also think it contributes to why Chef's Table and similar experiences are so special in comparison to MDR - since the food and service is for such a small group.

36 minutes ago, Sitzmark said:

Perhaps this is where the notion that the cruise MDR is such a grand experience comes from.  I suppose if Ponderosa is a fancy meal to someone, then the MDR by comparison would be pretty nice.  

I think it's also people who have been cruising for a while having grand memories of great food and experiences, whereas the modern day mega cruise lines pump out mediocrity. To me, the MDR is a place best avoided.

13 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

MDR used to be fancy... it was 21 yrs ago. But, I’m cool with how it is now too 🙂. As long as you don’t stink, I don’t care what you wear 🙂

To clean and not stinky I would add: nice shorts and dressy flip flops are fine as long as the legs and feet look nice too.     

18 hours ago, watcher4905 said:

thanks for all the info I'm glad so many people responded and will take all suggestions as this is my first cruise and my first vacation without my travel buddy of  49 years.

This literally made me tear up, and I hope that you have a fabulous cruise no matter what you chose to wear to the MDR.  

18 hours ago, watcher4905 said:

thanks for all the info I'm glad so many people responded and will take all suggestions as this is my first cruise and my first vacation without my travel buddy of  49 years.

This literally made me tear up, and I hope that you have a fabulous cruise no matter what you choose to wear to the MDR.  

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 7:44 AM, Zach1213 said:

I think it's also people who have been cruising for a while having grand memories of great food and experiences, whereas the modern day mega cruise lines pump out mediocrity. To me, the MDR is a place best avoided.

I really wish I could try the cruise food from like 40-50 years ago now.  I wonder what it was like, does anyone have pictures? 

I feel like the food scene has changed so drastically pretty rapidly in the interim with the Nouvelle french.  I wonder if the food really was that much better in the past, or if the food on land has just gone in different ways in a way difficult to replicate on a ship.  I feel like classic french food you killed the crap out of ingredients and flavored with sauces, which is super doable on a ship that stocks up once a week and with recipes that don't change for like hundreds of years.  With focus on fresh ingredients, season fare, and changing menus, seems a lot harder to do on mega cruise ships.

Also aren't cruises a ton cheaper now than they used to be? has to be cut from somewhere.  More fair to compare food across PPP adjusted equal price points.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Dude, that's not how "manners" work.

Actually yeah, that is exactly how it works. Do a little research on manners throughout time... they change, and it is not because someone makes a big pronouncement, gives a directive, and then everyone starts doing it. It is little by little... and it spreads.

Oh someone earlier mentioned that this is a "all about me" culture. Nah, I think it is more accurately described as the "no longer about you" culture, which is what actually upsets people, whether they realize it or not. Changes happen throughout time, and one is conditioned to think something is a norm, manner, or etiquette based on those norms during their formative years. Humans are capable of using their brains to realize this, and adapt. Unfortunately, they rarely do and hang on until the end. 

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:52 PM, watcher4905 said:

Glad you got some good info, despite all the hobby horse riders.

You have a great attitude. Enjoy your cruise - trust you have a great time.

9 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Actually yeah, that is exactly how it works. Do a little research on manners throughout time... they change, and it is not because someone makes a big pronouncement, gives a directive, and then everyone starts doing it. It is little by little... and it spreads.

Oh someone earlier mentioned that this is a "all about me" culture. Nah, I think it is more accurately described as the "no longer about you" culture, which is what actually upsets people, whether they realize it or not. Changes happen throughout time, and one is conditioned to think something is a norm, manner, or etiquette based on those norms during their formative years. Humans are capable of using their brains to realize this, and adapt. Unfortunately, they rarely do and hang on until the end. 

That's a lot of words that say very little.   Yes, "manners" change over time.  But it's a gradual process.  Saying no one is right or wrong at any given point in time is nonsense.

This is all a lot of hot air to make someone justify wearing a baseball cap indoors.  Still makes them look like a man-child.

• Like 1

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/08/wall-streets-new-dress-code-raises-question-what-to-wear.html

made me think of this post, haha.  times are changing.

The easy thing about the suit uniform though is that it is basically a uniform and everyone can conform easier.  Now guys have it more like girls and have to navigate this confusing world of contexts where you can get judged for dressing to much or too little while considering comfort.