Where is the salmon?

flipflap78

I’m onboard on Equinox. First breakfast in blu and i don’t see a salmon plat in menu. I ask and the waiter looks at me embarrassed and says it's not on the menu... then I get pancakes and go to the buffet. I desperately look for the salmon station but it's not there. Did they really take the salmon out? Or is it a case because it's the first day? They didn't lower the prices so I don't think they can really lower the quality.

FCost cutting????  I hope not...it’s my favorite breakfast item on board.

but yes, celebrity can change anything at any time, pretty much without any warning.

Edited by ghstudio

12 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Look at the Elite continental breakfast in Tuscan, next-door to blue. Salmon and all the fixings are always a standard there, If you don’t see any in there then there must be a supply problem. 

Tomorrow morning I try again to the blue, if still nothing (as I believe that they have really removed it from the menu) I try the Tuscan!

It is has beeen on all of our cruises but in reality it isn’t anything that is part of the contract or mentioned that is included.  They are probably waiting for a shipment or to be cleared by the inspector 

things change.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

11 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

Cost cutting????  I hope not...it’s my favorite breakfast item on board.

Mine, too! With the bagle! Let's hope it's a momentary mistake even if I don't think so...

3 minutes ago, miched said:

It is has beeen on all of our cruises but in reality it isn’t anything that is part of the contract or mentioned that is included.  They are probably waiting for a shipment or to be cleared by the inspector 

things change.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Let's hope it's under control, I'll be on board for two weeks, I'll let you know

thank you! 

Bad news.

No salmon for the whole week and apparently for who knows how much longer! Quality control issue. But then I wonder why next week in Miami they don't send another game to check... we'll see... the fact is that for now no smoked salmon. Such a shame

17 minutes ago, flipflap78 said:

No salmon for the whole week and apparently for who knows how much longer! Quality control issue.

Or the supplier didn’t deliver it on Saturday morning and that’s the answer they gave you. Quality control on smoked salmon isn’t rocket science. Every bagel place in America has sides of the stuff. 

Next week is a new sailing. 

One time my cruise sailed without sugar packets. Sh*t happens. 

• Like 1

I was on a trans Atlantic on Celebrity once where there was no sirloin steak.  The delivery never arrived. They tried to buy steaks at the last port before we headed across the sea but they were awful.  😢The chef tried to marinate them but they were still awful. 😪And finally they gave up and we simply had to do without for the entire crossing.😩

3 hours ago, villauk said:

On X?

nope, but it wasn't a ship issue.  It was a supplier issue.  I guarantee ships sail without a few things, or run out early of some food items on most trips.  It's pretty hard to be perfect when you have to order the right amount of food and supplies for 2500 passengers and 1500 crew for every sailing and rely on suppliers to be perfect too.  I think most cruise lines do a remarkable job of getting it right 99.9% of the time.    Also, they don't always have suppliers readily available in many ports to get missed items.  

Smoked Salmon for 2500 passengers is probably hard to source at the last minute in Punta Cana. 

• Like 1

Remember the world wide lime shortage a couple of years ago?  Also the world wide shortage of escargot when they substituted mushrooms?  Also we were on Silhouette when the entire ship ran out of Diet Coke for a few days....easier to resupply that in foreign ports.

Edited by helen haywood
  • Like 3

So sorry to the OP.

I think that I would have to jump ship if no salmon was available!  That's one of the foods that I look forward to when sailing.   I have smoked salmon for breakfast every morning.  Both DH and I like the salmon at dinner in Blu.

Speaking of running out of food...We  sailed on our last RCCL cruise back in 2014.  It was a 2 nighter to try out the Oasis class.  The ship ran out of eggs! :classic_ohmy:   

Off topic: The above cruise was our first Diamond cruise.  The lack of eggs was not the reason, but after that cruise (our 11th on RCCL) we said goodbye to them.  We took our Diamond status and became Elite on Celebrity.  Now after 19 cruises on Celebrity (#20 coming up in May) we are starting to see the same trends with Celebrity that ended our cruising with RCCL.  Mainly cut backs. :classic_unsure:   

We have sailed with other lines, as well.  All together, we have taken almost 45 cruises and one river cruise.   We are currently looking for a new favorite cruise line. :classic_dry:

• Thanks 1

We were on a 14 day Infinity cruise Buenos Aires to Valparaiso in 2016. Half way through the cruise Cafe al Bacio ran out of both Earl Grey and English Breakfast tea bags. Had to go to buffet to get them.  It happens.

On Silhouette last summer Cafe al Bacio had the same Earl Grey and English Breakfast tea bags as the buffet, not the cute triangle one with the leaf on top.  And charged for them if nit on a beverage package. Cost cutting? Supplier issue?

7 hours ago, flipflap78 said:

Good is good, let's hope next week... I was thinking about those people who make their first X cruise this week, they'll think it's always salmon-free! (I was looking for him on MSC because there was on Costa)

@Flipflap78

I'd be interested to read (another thread perhaps) your comparison of MSC, Costa and Celebrity...

What you liked vs didn't. Food, Service, staterooms. Have friends from the UK that didn't care for the "taxi" approach of MSC in the Med. OTOH it could be convenient between cruises out of Venice ending in Roma..and then a TA from Barc back to the US. We may try MSC in the Caribb. before committing to a longer Med sailing or TA 

Grazie Mille