Escape listed last night 03/03/19

graphicguy

18 hours ago, Cindy said:

One video on Twitter cracked me up. Two guys are sitting at a bar. They turn around and watch the chairs slide across the floor, then they go back to their drinks!

I'd probably do the same...or I would side-eye the woman that was sitting on the floor, hysterically flapping her hands while wiping away her tears.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I'd probably do the same...or I would side-eye the woman that was sitting on the floor, hysterically flapping her hands while wiping away her tears.

Saw her last night at the same place (Atrium Bar) tilting drinks!

I think she was just fine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2019 at 9:37 AM, Two Wheels Only said:

Interesting. I'd probably be like her. 1 - I hate earthquakes. It freaks me out when the ground moves and I can't control it. 2 - I freak out in planes experiencing anything other than mild turbulence. (Again, the lack of control is stressful. Also, not knowing how bad it is, vs. how much worse it's going to get.) 3 - With my wobbly ankles, I probably would have hurt myself when it started, so I'd be on the floor, in pain, and more than a bit panicky.

Now if I was sitting on a bar stool, three sheets to the wind, I'd probably be fine. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/6/2019 at 7:13 PM, friend of Eeyore said:

Already corrected above. SO SORRY I made a mistake. I meant to say junior officer. Seriously? At least you could just think I was thinking that the port pilot was still on board (he wasn't). Can't anyone take a mistake at face value and move on? I miss the old days when you couldn't fix mistakes days later (don't know if you can now, and seriously not going to check now).

Wait a minute. I was trying to follow your story as you wrote it, so  I responded to your words "junior pilot" and was confused. How am I to know what you really meant ? I "assumed" your words were correct.    

4 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Wait a minute. I was trying to follow your story as you wrote it, so  I responded to your words "junior pilot" and was confused. How am I to know what you really meant ? I "assumed" your words were correct.    

Sorry. I had already corrected myself, and I figured you had read it. Plus, on a cruise ship a pilot is a position on a ship (usually a local area person who comes on temporarily), and so why would I be talking about airplane pilots on a cruise ship thread. I though you were being deliberately obtuse. Tone is so hard to read on the internet after all.

Wow - Daylight Savings Time is kicking in overnight, but  ...   What's up ?

Currently looking at a 5:30 UTC super early "Escape" arrival back to NY, based on MarineTraffic's AIS data, been doing about 15 knots since in range for last 30+ minutes, just north of Atlantic City, NJ ... maybe 50 nm off the coastline.  Seas look calm, possibly somewhat misty and a cluster of ships (busy sea lanes ??) off in the not too far distance, portside.  

25 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Wow - Daylight Savings Time is kicking in overnight, but  ...   What's up ?

Currently looking at a 5:30 UTC super early "Escape" arrival back to NY, based on MarineTraffic's AIS data, been doing about 15 knots since in range for last 30+ minutes, just north of Atlantic City, NJ ... maybe 50 nm off the coastline.  Seas look calm, possibly somewhat misty and a cluster of ships (busy sea lanes ??) off in the not too far distance, portside.  

And very shortly to slow to 10 knots for the Right Whale Zone.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NormanW said:

Speaking of Right Whale Zone I just read about a high speed ferry accident in Japan where over 85 persons were injured due to a whale collision! 😞

Cheers,

Norman

I've seen that the boat claims it was a "marine animal", but no confirmation.

I was on this cruise with my husband too. We were in our cabin on the 14th floor when the incident occurred and yes, the floor was at a greater than 10 degree incline for 5 minutes. In the realm of civility, it is important to realize that the 4900 passengers and however many crewmembers all had unique experiences. Even without physical injury, for some, it was traumatic; others were able to cope well. I spoke to passengers and several crew who were traumatized, and attempting to process thoughts and feelings for the rest of the cruise. I’m thinking of the people who were inside elevators, the people who had never been on a cruise before, the people with chronic mobility issues sliding across an entire lounge on the floor...so many unique circumstances that impact how someone reacts to stress or crisis. Many people believed that they were going to die. As a reminder, no one had access to their life vest, as they are not stored in the cabins, but instead in the muster stations. The lack of accessibility to a life vest increased anxiety. I am glad that graphicguy is so incredibly underwhelmed by his experience of it all, but his individual anecdotes are just that, anecdotes. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, IHeartRome said:

I was on this cruise with my husband too. We were in our cabin on the 14th floor when the incident occurred and yes, the floor was at a greater than 10 degree incline for 5 minutes. In the realm of civility, it is important to realize that the 4900 passengers and however many crewmembers all had unique experiences. Even without physical injury, for some, it was traumatic; others were able to cope well. I spoke to passengers and several crew who were traumatized, and attempting to process thoughts and feelings for the rest of the cruise. I’m thinking of the people who were inside elevators, the people who had never been on a cruise before, the people with chronic mobility issues sliding across an entire lounge on the floor...so many unique circumstances that impact how someone reacts to stress or crisis. Many people believed that they were going to die. As a reminder, no one had access to their life vest, as they are not stored in the cabins, but instead in the muster stations. The lack of accessibility to a life vest increased anxiety. I am glad that graphicguy is so incredibly underwhelmed by his experience of it all, but his individual anecdotes are just that, anecdotes. 

Life jackets are stored under the bed in the cabins 

6 hours ago, IHeartRome said:

Did you have a clinometer (measures angles of inclination) in your cabin to ensure it was more than 10 degrees?  Non-mariners consistently overestimate angles of rolling.  Another thing, if the ship had been listed over for 5 minutes, I think that would have been the experience to note on the videos linked, not the sliding back and forth, as the extended heel would have been the far more dramatic scene.  Unless, of course, your part of the ship experienced a prolonged heel, while the rest of the ship rolled back and forth.

As someone posted earlier, using the dining table experiment to see what a 10* angle is, think that with a ship like Escape that has a beam of 136 feet, the difference in height at 10* inclination between the high side of the ship and the low side of the ship is 24 feet.  Assuming your cabin is about 1/4 of the beam, the height from the door to the balcony would be 6 feet.

I won't deny your concern at the moment, but even if the ship heeled over to a consistent 10+*, the simple fact that it was staying at that point showed that it was in fact stable (its righting moment equaling the wind force), and in no immediate danger of rolling over.  The Poseidon Adventure has a lot to answer for, in misleading the cruising public.

And, to be perfectly frank, if you had had a life jacket, and had to use it, in those conditions, it would have mattered very, very, little to your potential survival.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IHeartRome said:

Great explaining that experiences will vary then dismiss graphicguy as being the one who ultimately got it right.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mkerewski said:

Life jackets are stored under the bed in the cabins 

Life jackets are normally stored in the closet on the top shelf. With that said, one of the first things I do when entering a new cabin is to see where they are. All of the lifeboats have life jackets in them. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Life jackets are normally stored in the closet on the top shelf. With that said, one of the first things I do when entering a new cabin is to see where they are. All of the lifeboats have life jackets in them. 

My family and I were on that cruise. When I was unpacking that evening I noticed that there were no life jackets in our cabin. We were in the Atrium when the ship listed and on the video at is all over the news/internet. I went to reception and asked about lack of life jackets in our cabin and was told that on the Escape there are no life jackets stored in the cabins. This was my 25th cruise and was the first time I did not have life jackets in our cabin. I think they need to change this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vooom said:

My family and I were on that cruise. When I was unpacking that evening I noticed that there were no life jackets in our cabin. We were in the Atrium when the ship listed and on the video at is all over the news/internet. I went to reception and asked about lack of life jackets in our cabin and was told that on the Escape there are no life jackets stored in the cabins. This was my 25th cruise and was the first time I did not have life jackets in our cabin. I think they need to change this. 

Strange and interesting. My wife and I have been on the Escape twice, last time was in September 2018. On both occasions we had life jackets in the cabin on the shelf of the closet

9 hours ago, IHeartRome said:

No, you are incorrect. Thank you for trying though. 

I've been on 16 NCL cruises, all different type of staterooms.  Have never been a room where there were not life jackets either in the top of the closet or under the bed.  Pretty sure you are incorrect in this regard.  

8 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

I've been on 16 NCL cruises, all different type of staterooms.  Have never been a room where there were not life jackets either in the top of the closet or under the bed.  Pretty sure you are incorrect in this regard.  

MrMike, I just got off this cruise yesterday and would not have said we didn’t have life vests if I hadn’t confirmed my own story. We attended the muster drill; we were told the life vests were stored at the muster stations. We also double checked by searching our room, under the bed, closet, under sofa. To be clear: no life vests in cabin rooms on this sailing. My husband is an Army officer, so he went to Guest Services to inquire about the regulations and ask if the life vest location might be moved back to the rooms. The NCL staff member shared that the muster location meets the safety standards. 

22 minutes ago, IHeartRome said:

MrMike, I just got off this cruise yesterday and would not have said we didn’t have life vests if I hadn’t confirmed my own story. We attended the muster drill; we were told the life vests were stored at the muster stations. We also double checked by searching our room, under the bed, closet, under sofa. To be clear: no life vests in cabin rooms on this sailing. My husband is an Army officer, so he went to Guest Services to inquire about the regulations and ask if the life vest location might be moved back to the rooms. The NCL staff member shared that the muster location meets the safety standards. 

Again, I find that hard to believe, since I have attended 16 muster drills, and the instructions are always to go back to your state room, grab your life vests, grab any medicines and put on warm clothing then report to your muster station.  Unless you are in a public area, in which case you should go to the muster station where they have additional life vests.  But have never seen or heard that life vests are removed from state rooms.  Maybe they changed things since October which was my last cruise.  Who knows?  If that is the case, I apologize.  But seems rather irresponsible and unsafe on NCL's part, regardless if there was listing or a smooth sailing with 5 foot waves.  Just in general 

Edited by MrMike45

22 minutes ago, IHeartRome said:

The NCL staff member shared that the muster location meets the safety standards. 

Absolutely correct.  There is nothing in SOLAS that requires life jackets to be in the cabin.  Many ships have them stored at the muster locations.  And, as I've said, after 43 years at sea, if you are going to need a lifejacket, its mostly a placebo.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ships including the Escape has fire doors and water tight doors that would be deployed when triggered or activated, and no General Alarm was sounded, correct ?  I know and understood it felt scary and un-nerving for the ship to tilt, but if you are on the higher deck, it will seem worst (horrible when broadsided, etc.) We're rode thru some other Nor-Easters in the past, 30 to 40+ waves in near hurricane & strong Gale force cross wind conditions for as much as 12 to 15 hours on the Atlantics and never felt the need to find or look for life vests, let alone wear them, on much smaller ships including the Norwegian Crown twice. 

But, the Escape - by design (I checked, had a picture of the Emergency Info, posted in all staterooms from last year) - storing life vests at the Assembly Stations and on the life boats, which is fine per regulations as noted. Ships have modern watertight compartments and just don't sink easily, and while it had some "losses" but flooding wasn't reported ?   I can appreciate the panic and distress but this is mother nature's doing, like flying thru unexpected turbulence.  

P.S. we had a smoother sailing but our Escape ride (view from the District Brew House) coming back to NY wasn't what we had in mind either, and it lasted more than a few minutes. Life is an adventure, just roll with it ... maybe not till Boeing figure out what's going on with their B737Max.

IMG_20181103_130212855.jpg

IMG_20181102_220445959.jpg

Edited by mking8288

If someone is in an airplane that experiences turbulence, it might "feel" like the plane took a nosedive for 10,000 feet. If someone is on a ship that experiences listing, it might "feel" like the ship is tilting 30 degrees.

When data is later analyzed, it usually shows that what people "feel" happened isn't what actually happened. If the ship's data shows a more than 10 - 15 degree tilt for 5 minutes, I'd be very surprised.

Edited by Two Wheels Only