FOOD UPCHARGE?

Momma Mojito

I just read this review on the Island Princess .     Food good overall. Did not appreciate having an additional charge menu with our meals, Meals are included, but they will keep the good items at a premium.   Do you think they meant the Bayou or Sabatini's or is this something new on Princess.?

No.  They are talking about some items from the CG being offered in the MDR for an upcharge ($$$).  This includes steak and lobster.  It is not that new and has been attempted before. 

Edited by satxdiver

23 minutes ago, Momma Mojito said:

I just read this review on the Island Princess .     Food good overall. Did not appreciate having an additional charge menu with our meals, Meals are included, but they will keep the good items at a premium.   Do you think they meant the Bayou or Sabatini's or is this something new on Princess.?

This is in the regular dining room menu.

Been offered for a couple of years.

IMG_2614.JPG

4 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

This is in the regular dining room menu.

Been offered for a couple of years.

IMG_2614.JPG

Thanks, We haven't cruised with Princess since October 2017 so this must have been added after that.

Edited by Momma Mojito

11 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Basically, it gives you the ability to eat a CG meal in the MDR if some of your party doesn't want to eat at the CG.  Sounds like a good plan to me that I will likely partake in!!

As long as it does not lead to charges for a 2nd entree on the regular DR menu etc.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

As long as it does not lead to charges for a 2nd entree etc.  

I don't quite follow what you are saying.  If I eat in the MDR with the rest of my group, but want to enjoy a CG meal, I can order the Steak and Lobster and pay $29.  I'm pretty sure if I want to order other items from the MDR menu, I don't pay extra for those.  To me, this is a great idea, since our group of 12 will not likely eat in the CG as a group.  I still have the ability to enjoy their food items.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

I don't quite follow what you are saying.  If I eat in the MDR with the rest of my group, but want to enjoy a CG meal, I can order the Steak and Lobster and pay $29.  I'm pretty sure if I want to order other items from the MDR menu, I don't pay extra for those.  To me, this is a great idea, since our group of 12 will not likely eat in the CG as a group.  I still have the ability to enjoy their food items.

There is a current thread here on the Princess board talking about HA now charging $10 for an additional entree in the MDR for regular menu items.

Like I said I hope this won't be the direction that Princess takes.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2640851-hope-princess-does-not-begin-doing-this/

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

There is a current thread here on the Princess board talking about HA now charging $10 for an additional entree in the MDR for regular menu items.

Like I said I hope this won't be the direction that Princess takes.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2640851-hope-princess-does-not-begin-doing-this/

Okay...I got you.  I wasn't sure where the thought was coming from, but looking at that other thread, I see what you are saying.  Yes, let's hope that doesn't happen!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Basically, it gives you the ability to eat a CG meal in the MDR if some of your party doesn't want to eat at the CG.  Sounds like a good plan to me that I will likely partake in!!

I agree, we had three evenings reserved at the Crown Grill, but when I saw this option, I cancelled two of the reservations and will order from the MD.  

• Like 1

Some have said the pay entrees arrived barely warm and were not very large along with poor presentation. Hope this is not the case as I plan on trying steak and lobster on a night when nothing looks good on the menu. 

More reports on how the the meals were would be appreciated. One person thought they were cooked in the main dining room kitchen but that is not confirmed.. coming all the way from the Crown Grill could present problems if it is delayed and sitting somewhere. 

Since the lobster on formal formal night is evidently very small on top of Riossoto, which some reported not very good, perhaps it would also be a good option for formal night. I am not opposed to paying extra if I get a really good meal .

3 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Some have said the pay entrees arrived barely warm and were not very large along with poor presentation. Hope this is not the case as I plan on trying steak and lobster on a night when nothing looks good on the menu. 

More reports on how the the meals were would be appreciated. One person thought they were cooked in the main dining room kitchen but that is not confirmed.. coming all the way from the Crown Grill could present problems if it is delayed and sitting somewhere. 

Since the lobster on formal formal night is evidently very small on top of Riossoto, which some reported not very good, perhaps it would also be a good option for formal night. I am not opposed to paying extra if I get a really good meal .

thus reinforcing the Princess decision to reduce food quality and service is now an upgraded add-on ...

Part of the appeal to us are sides and desserts that are included in the $29 CG up charge. 

Never have tried the MDR verision of the CG meal. 

Anyone have any thoughts on the sides and dessert offerings that accompany the meal in the MDR?

5 hours ago, Momma Mojito said:

Not new.   I order off the CG all the time when I’m dining in the MDR with others who don’t necessarily want to dine or pay the upcharge at the CG.   The CG entrees were offered on the Grand,  10 day Mexico Riviera cruise in January.

I appreciate the option of ordering entrees from CG and having it available and served to me in the MDR.  More options, is good.   The standard MDR entrees can be sub par and banal.

Good luck.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

8 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Not new.   Was offered on the Grand.   10 day Mexico Riviera cruise in January.

I appreciate the option of ordering entrees from CG and having it available and served in the MDR.  More options, is good.   The standard MDR entrees can be sub par and banal.

Rolled out and started 2 years ago.

We first saw it in the Ruby in 2017.

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

How was the upcharged food?

I ordered the filet mignon and was extremely disappointed with it. However, the "free" petite filet on surf and turf night was delicious. This was on the Crown Princess 10 days ago.

Wife ordered a steak off the CG menu on our last cruise on the CB in January. She was very happy with her steak. Our service experience in the CG last August on the Caribbean Princess was disappointing, so we did not want to pay $58 for surely waiters again.

8 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Part of the appeal to us are sides and desserts that are included in the $29 CG up charge. 

Never have tried the MDR verision of the CG meal. 

Anyone have any thoughts on the sides and dessert offerings that accompany the meal in the MDR?

As you can see from the photo above, you have a few sides as choices. Our table mate ordered a steak from CG and asked for the creamed  spinach dish, even though it wasn't listed - no problem, she received that, along with baked potato.  It's not a full CG meal, no desserts or starters included. It's just the steak/lobster and a few sides.  Again, see menu insert posted above.

7 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

As you can see from the photo above, you have a few sides as choices. Our table mate ordered a steak from CG and asked for the creamed  spinach dish, even though it wasn't listed - no problem, she received that, along with baked potato.  It's not a full CG meal, no desserts or starters included. It's just the steak/lobster and a few sides.  Again, see menu insert posted above.

Ah.....I missed the sides listed on the menu. I may very give this a go on our next cruise.

Thanks!!

15 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

And it gives Princess the ability to offer few if any beef choices as part of the regular menu. If you want beef other than hamburger or meatloaf on some nights, the only option may end up being to pay for the extra cost item.