No MDR

skyeman27

I expect that this is where cruising is headed. The lido buffet, Guys and Blue Iguana being free and everything else being for a fee. This would not stop me from cruising, but I would expect fares to stay low in this model. 

• Like 3

I could sail without it. I do enjoy it though, but I as asalligo mentioned I could see the new wave of cruises going that way. I think younger audiences may think MDR's are too formal/old fashioned for their taste. But long-haul cruises vs. the short party ones I would hope they'd keep it!

• Like 1

I hope MDRs continue for the older crowd, over 50-60

who don't like to line up for food!

I would want to book cruises

on a ship that has one or even two Main Dining Rooms

- and avoid those without!

• Like 5

I've gone on several cruises and not used the dining room.  It depends on who I'm traveling with - I like them for large groups if you can reserve a table and have the same wait staff (like a recent reunion cruise I was on), when I'm traveling solo, I usually stick to the buffet and room service or walk up venues, when it's my husband and I, we like the specialty restaurants.

24 and don’t need a MDR. Service is slow. Did YTD on liberty in November and was a party two and because of this, they servers never came over. We were surrounded by 3 party’s of 8 or more and you could tell they were overwhelmed. Didn’t go back the rest of the cruise, very comfortable eating a big lunch or just going to the buffet.

• Like 3

Would I sail on a ship with no MDR, will say no.

Now I enjoy the dining room most of my sailings.  Yes it can be a two hour plus affair.  But overall I've enjoyed being waited on, not eating in a rush, talking to my tablemates.  Been bless to sail with several WWII vets, writers, historians, and some of everyone in between.  There are a handful of people in which I'm still friends years after sailing and sailed with again.

Now there are times, like on my last sailing, if it wasn't for the sea brunch last day, didn't set foot in the MDR.  On that cruise, it was a total just relax and not bother with people cruise.  It was just me time.  But that's the exception to the rule.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not happening..... done deal

You said as much about the Panorama being homeported on the west coast. You can't predict what Carnival may do in the future, no one can.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 4

I usually cruise with a group and would miss the main dining room experience because that is when we are all together. That being said,  I would sail on a ship without a main dining room, depending on who I was sailing with. I don't think the main dining room experience on Carnival today is as nice and special as it used to be. In 2015 my husband and I sailed by ourselves on an NCL ship and one of the booking "perks" was free specialty dining every night and we loved it. We only ate in the main dining room one night. I don't know that I would want to pay to eat in a specialty restaurant every night though. If I were just sailing with one or two other people and there were plenty of other "free" options, I would sail on ship with no main dining room. 

• Like 2

I and my family enjoy the MDR.  Would not sail on a ship without one.

In fact, while I enjoy a Guy's Burger perhaps twice in 7 days, we avoid the Lido buffet.  While on vacation, I want to be served.  If I wanted to belly up the buffet and serve myself, I could do that at home or go to Piccadilly.

Edited by mdsgu
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

You said as much about the Panorama being homeported on the west coast. You can't predict what Carnival in future, no one can.

I did, you are correct.  We will see if she stays there.   I have had more then several conversations regarding MDR with Carnival management.  There are no plans,  can things potentially change? Maybe.  Maybe I am winning powerball also.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HeidiHo said:

I usually cruise with a group and would miss the main dining room experience because that is when we are all together. That being said,  I would sail on a ship without a main dining room, depending on who I was sailing with. I don't think the main dining room experience on Carnival today is as nice and special as it used to be. In 2015 my husband and I sailed by ourselves on an NCL ship and one of the booking "perks" was free specialty dining every night and we loved it. We only ate in the main dining room one night. I don't know that I would want to pay to eat in a specialty restaurant every night though. If I were just sailing with one or two other people and there were plenty of other "free" options, I would sail on ship with no main dining room. 

There are no free perks in NCL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1