Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

39 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

So far only minor injuries reported, some say 2 persons and some say 4 persons injured. Not clear if injuries happened during evacuation or before.

Update regarding injuries: 8 persons taken to hospital so far, but all injuries reported as "minor". 

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Thanks 2

Thank you.  

I wonder if they invoked the Birkenhead protocol?

Did the sound a general alarm?  What kinds of announcements were issued?  Did passengers report to muster stations?

I have read that the mood on the ship was one of calm.  Kudos to the officers and crew.

• Like 4

My experience on the Polar Star in the Antarctic taught me to respect all of the safety precautions in place.  Three years later the Polar Star hit a rock in the South Atlantic, passengers evacuated, the crew abandoned in the Canary Islands and the company bankrupted.  I’ll take safety and the courage of everyone engaged in a rescue over a future cruise credit any day.  My next muster in two weeks will have special meaning.  My thoughts are with the passengers, crew, heroic rescuers and random people of Norway that will open their hearts in a difficult situation.

• Like 24

1 minute ago, TrumpyNor said:

There will be a press conference at 7.00 PM local time (25 min. from now).

Sorry, is that in Norway? Thank you for your updates - I am sure that those with family onboard really appreciate it.

It is good that they seem to have it under control (as much as it can be) and lots of different agencies seem to be rallying around to help

23 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Furthermore, the ship itself is certainly the best 'lifeboat' given the fact its not a Concordia situation where the ship is sinking, 

Although the ship is not currently sinking, I personally agree with the Master's decision to evacuate the passengers and most likely non-essential crew, by the safest means available. Launching lifeboats and liferafts in those conditions would not be a pleasant experience and would most likely result in more injuries than evacuating by helo.

Yes, we are taught the vessel is the best lifeboat in many situations. However, with a shallow draft, high freeboard vessel about 1 mile off a lee-shore in 38 kts winds, I would be doing exactly the same as the Viking Sky's Master. 

While a helo evacuation is daunting for many, I suspect many passengers would rather be safely ashore rather waiting on the ship and watching waves crashing ashore about 1ml away

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, matadams4u said:

My experience on the Polar Star in the Antarctic taught me to respect all of the safety precautions in place.  Three years later the Polar Star hit a rock in the South Atlantic, passengers evacuated, the crew abandoned in the Canary Islands and the company bankrupted.  I’ll take safety and the courage of everyone engaged in a rescue over a future cruise credit any day.  My next muster in two weeks will have special meaning.  My thoughts are with the passengers, crew, heroic rescuers and random people of Norway that will open their hearts in a difficult situation.

You are so correct!  After the Concordia, I pay attention at Muster Drill, locate my life jacket in my cabin so I can find it in the dark and keep my phone, id and a credit card on me at all times. Prayers for everyone as it gets dark in Norway. 

8 minutes ago, matadams4u said:

My thoughts are with the passengers, crew, heroic rescuers and random people of Norway that will open their hearts in a difficult situation.

No one better to handle an emergency like this than the Norske's. I say that with the utmost respect from personal experience. Safety first. 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, goodtobequeen said:

We have family on board that we haven't heard from in a while. Where can I find the press conference?

One of our posters provided the link to the local news there that has a live feed. Prayers for your family.  https://www.nrk.no/

• Like 1

@Heidi13 i'm certainly not disagreeing with the decision to evacuate as its clearly the best of a set of bad options, which as you say would have included (in favorable conditions) the use of the lifeboats/rafts but in the interim I would rather be sat comfortably onboard waiting for my turn to be hoisted, should it come to that.  I know this would not have been a decision made lightly by the master and i commend him for his actions.

On a side not, it should be mentioned that this is now the third ship in succession to have sustained some kind of catastrophic technical issues, albeit too soon to say whether it was the same issue which befell the Star and Sea which resulted in both of them being laid up alongside for an extended period of time.  Here's hoping they get it sorted on the other ships before more unfortunate coincidences transpire...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heakja said:

100 passengers brought to the shore so far. Pictures on www.nrk.no, norwegian news site. 

Update: One of the engines are now working again.

The video that was displayed when we saw it was really a bit terrifying.  VERY dark skies, rough seas, and it did appear the ship was out of control.  [Marine experts, kindly correct me if needed.]

Hopefully this was before they got one engine working again.

This might be the section of water where we experienced *very* rough seas almost exactly 1 year ago, during a truly fantastic Hurtigruten cruise.

We could not stand up; furniture was moving around.  (We had an aft suite, high on Deck 8, so no surprise we felt it!)

The Captain had predicted the severe seas and warned everyone.  We crawled to the bedroom, got in bed for safety, and stayed there til we woke up in the morning, and all was calm.

*IF* I had seen this beforehand, there's not a chance in the world I'd have been able to sleep!

Hope all continues to go as smoothly as possible with the rescue!

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

@Heidi13 i'm certainly not disagreeing with the decision to evacuate as its clearly the best of a set of bad options, which as you say would have included (in favorable conditions) the use of the lifeboats/rafts but in the interim I would rather be sat comfortably onboard waiting for my turn to be hoisted, should it come to that.  I know this would not have been a decision made lightly by the master and i commend him for his actions.

Just to make it clear - the evacutation of passengers and crew is because it is too dangerous to stay on board - with just partly engine power it would be crazy to try to "wait it out", as the weather is still very bad in that area ...

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Boatdrill said:

NRK news via local Police  reporting a helicopter has gone down. Not clear if related to evacuations.

"Politiet har mottatt en melding om at et helikopter har styrtet. Politiet vil oppdatere meldingen så fort vi har noe mer. Nødetatene er på vei."

Translation: 

The police have received a message that a helicopter has crashed. 
The police will update the message as soon as we have something more. 
The emergency services are on their way.

That accident is not related. Another part of the country.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

NRK news via local Police  reporting a helicopter has gone down. Not clear if related to evacuations.

"Politiet har mottatt en melding om at et helikopter har styrtet. Politiet vil oppdatere meldingen så fort vi har noe mer. Nødetatene er på vei."

Translation: 

The police have received a message that a helicopter has crashed. 
The police will update the message as soon as we have something more. 
The emergency services are on their way.

😱

If ever The Scream was appropriate, this is it.

I cannot imagine what it is like!

Prayers for ALL.

GC

1 minute ago, TrumpyNor said:

Just to make it clear - the evacutation of passengers and crew is because it is too dangerous to stay on board - with just partly engine power it would be crazy to try to "wait it out"...

Actually the evacuation was ordered when the ship was adrift with no power and a high risk go run aground on one of the reefs or the near shoreline.

Not until later one engine has been restored. So they have limited power.

steamboats

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

Update regarding injuries: 8 persons taken to hospital so far, but all injuries reported as "minor". 

According to local news, there will be a safe hotel room for all the evacuated people this night. Some may go to Ålesund, though, as Molde is filled to capasity.

• Like 2

May all souls aboard and now ashore be well! Prayer works. A MAYDAY in March worked.

Tusen Taak!!

Norwegian newspaper VG said the Viking Sky cruise ship ran into propulsion problems as strong winds and heavy seas hit Norway's coastal regions Saturday.

Police in the western county of Moere og Romsdal said Saturday the ship has managed to moor in Hustadsvika Bay, between the western Norwegian cities of Alesund and Trondheim.

Rescue teams with helicopters and boats have been sent to help and evacuate the vessel,

Is it propelled by those IMHO, horrible brerakdown Azi Pods? Why not go back to a Triple Screw now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1