Blogging a solo Royal Suite experience on the Equinox (Apr 20-27, 2019)

sstamour

Hi all!

Trip/live reports aren't usually my thing, but I'm doing a solo cruise on the Equinox departing on the 20th. After really enjoying several of the recent reports, I figured it was time I tried to contribute to the community as well.

As an introduction, I tend to be rather verbose and not funny at all (sadly, I've accepted it as a deficiency), but hopefully there will be enough information provided to be helpful.

A little about me - I'm 34 and cruising solo for the first time. I've done 2 other cruises, the first I absolutely loved (Great Barrier Reef cruise in Australia, plus land trips at the beginning and end) on the Solstice in a Royal Suite with 3 family members.

The second was a disaster (Disney cruise to the Bahamas with the same family members plus extended family). Had that been my first cruise, I wouldn't be taking another one! I have a trip booked on the Edge in October with the family.

I wasn't really planning on this trip (I booked 29 days out!), but work has been particularly stressful over the last 3 months. It's never not - I work essentially the equivalent of 5 full time jobs, so I'm working 365 days a year, but I have the flexibility to do the work from anywhere with an internet connection and a cell phone data package. I got an email that the cost of the cruise in a Royal Suite was less than expected, and it seemed like a good time to get a change of scenery. 

I'm one of the ones that really appreciated the perks of the suite life when we took our Solstice cruise! I particularly like not having to make choices ("is it really worth stopping into Sushi on 5 for a couple of pieces of fish? How much is Tuscan Grille really going to be worth? Am I going to regret ordering this extra drink?") on my vacations. (The answer to the "extra drink" question should be "yes, but not because the bill was more than I planned for"). The RS, with the unlimited specialty dining, premium drink package and included wifi becomes really appealing for that reason. I then learned how much I absolutely adored Luminae and Michael's Club, so it becomes a no brainer for me.

So, I booked. I had plenty of miles to pay for the flights, and I booked a night at the Conrad Miami on points as well. Of course, once I had booked, I received an email letting me know my flight had changed. I didn't think much of it until I opened it and saw this:

We made these changes to your flight.

■    New depart time
■    New arrival time
■    New flight number
■    New aircraft type
■    Seat change

Well then. 

Not a big deal. They moved my flight earlier and the seats are slightly worse, but it won't impact my cruise. It does mean an extra night away from my puppy.

To answer the most common questions - his name is Blasto, yes, he's big, no idea how big he'll get, about 130 lbs right now, 11 months, Bernese Mountain Dog, not a St Bernard, he sheds very little, and yes, his food bills are generally more than mine. 

He's in training to be my service dog (mobility work, which is why he needs to be big), but he's not quite at the level where I'm ready to take him on an international cruise. He flies very well (first class bulkhead, I buy two seats/the entire row, otherwise he doesn't fit) and handles most public situations beautifully, but he's never been on a boat or ship before. Part of the tradeoff for leaving him and traveling solo is that I will probably not disembark at most of the ports, but I'm comfortable with that choice. And it means more ship details for everyone else!

I haven't yet done a ton of planning for this trip; I just returned from an 11 day, 3 city business trip AND moved during that time (I left one house and returned to a different one!), but I'm looking forward to digging in. I'd love to hear from anyone who has suggestions on solo cruising, on the Equinox or if there's anything I'm absolutely missing out on if I don't disembark in Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel or Grand Cayman. My primary focus is good wine, craft cocktails and the best food I can find. 

To all of you who read through this entire thing, thank you! I will try to be useful to you in return. 

48982107_2475361719147022_1723093067579260928_o.jpg

48427734_2475364722480055_8247546787074670592_o.jpg

54799655_2612996715383521_8985006029146161152_n.jpg

55446980_2612996772050182_2288418309713952768_n.jpg

• Like 5

Hope you have a fantastic cruise, we are back on Equinox in September in a RS (again) and can’t wait. I haven’t cruised solo but offer a few ideas....

Pre cruise, why not look at your roll call and join? It is nice  to have a few pre-organised events to attend and  know the names of one or two others....They will also be a great source if you do want to join in any excursions.

On boarding let the Captains Club Host and remind the Michael’s Host that you are travelling solo. They can then suggest any activities/events you may enjoy joining and let you know if any solo events are being organised.

The Chefs Table can be a good one to mix at and enjoy meeting some fellow cruisers. A taster menu with wine pairings. Unfortunately this is probably the only food  on board you would have to pay for as it isn’t included with the RS. Just let the Michael’s Host know early in the cruise if you are interested.

Like you we enjoy the inclusiveness of the RS package. Whilst we tend to bring off at least one bottle of spirits at the end of a cruise it is nice to just have everything at hand. Remember although afternoon tea is now in Michael’s your butler will bring a selection to your suite on request.

If you are working in your room some lunchtimes give the room service menu a try....When I had a temporary mobility issue last year we ordered a few lunchtime items from the general menu and they were surprisingly good (best French fries on the ship) and delivered hot!

Your dog looks amazing! 

Sincere best wishes for a fantastic cruise!

Looking forward to reading about your solo experience. I will be taking my first solo cruise on the Equinox in Aug.

While I have cruised before with family or friends, the solo trip will be a new adventure for me. 

Work for me has been stressful and will continue until the beginning of Aug. I booked the cruise to help me have something to look forward to while working through this project and a reward for getting through it. This cruise will be all about relaxing, laying by the pool soaking in the sun with a drink in hand. 

Enjoy your cruise!!

Also following...multiple cruises with family & friends under my belt...one as a solo many, many years ago.  My next solo adventure will be on Equinox May, 2020.  I'm anxious to hear about your adventure.

Bon voyage!

That awesome and sounds very exciting.  My partner and I will be on the same cruise with you.  We may not cross paths much, since we do not get to enjoy the Suite Life, 😉  But I am definitely not complaining!  We will be off the ship at each port, so if there is anything that we can bring back  for you,  please don't hesitate to reach out.

Your dog is absolutely beautiful!!        ~Christine

Looking forward to your blog!  While Michael's Club does often have activities, be sure and stop by the Martini Bar and Gastrobar too!  We absolutely loved the Gastrobar on Equinox and sometimes it was as hopping as the Martini Bar.  I'm sure you will meet a lot of new friends!

My husband and I will be on this same cruise.  We, too, will probably not cross paths since we will not be enjoying the RS life!!  Looking forward to fun in the sun, relaxation and good food.  Hope your pre-travel goes well.   Your dog is beautiful!  Less than 2 weeks!!!!

What a great dog!  Hope you bring him on a cruise soon.

But it will require a lot of will power and restraint for passengers and staff alike to keep from wanting to come over and pet him or play with him. 

Yes, yes, we know that we are not supposed to approach service dogs without permission, but he is so adorable..........

Just a question about cruising as a solo, if you don't mind. 

(Other solo cruisers, please feel free to chime in here as well.)

When you pay the double price, I know that you get double points, but I'm wondering how they handle the perks.

Double onboard credit is obvious, but how do they handle 2 unlimited beverage packages or 2 unlimited internet packages when there is only one person to use them?

Also, are you charged gratuities for one or for two?

Edited by varoo

11 hours ago, varoo said:

What a great dog!  Hope you bring him on a cruise soon.

But it will require a lot of will power and restraint for passengers and staff alike to keep from wanting to come over and pet him or play with him. 

Yes, yes, we know that we are not supposed to approach service dogs without permission, but he is so adorable..........

Just a question about cruising as a solo, if you don't mind. 

(Other solo cruisers, please feel free to chime in here as well.)

When you pay the double price, I know that you get double points, but I'm wondering how they handle the perks.

Double onboard credit is obvious, but how do they handle 2 unlimited beverage packages or 2 unlimited internet packages when there is only one person to use them?

Also, are you charged gratuities for one or for two?

You're paying for both beverage packages and internet packages.  You will only be charged gratuities for one.  OBC is generally per cabin.

Thank you all for the responses!

I'm from the Los Angeles area (moved out here almost 3 years ago after living in the DC and Baltimore area). 

On 4/8/2019 at 9:56 PM, varoo said:

Honestly, this is the largest problem I've had with training! He's doing very well and is generally very good in public spaces, but he attracts more attention than I ever thought possible. I'm not good at saying no. Once we're settled, people don't always know he's there, but getting to that point can be a challenge. 

I'm definitely looking forward to checking out the Gastropub and the Martini Bar on the Equinox. I try to experience the atmosphere, the people and the bartenders at each bar on the ship at least once! I like to also do the specialty restaurants at least once, and Sushi on 5 was a staple for lunch. 

On 4/9/2019 at 11:25 AM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

You're paying for both beverage packages and internet packages.  You will only be charged gratuities for one.  OBC is generally per cabin.

Thanks for the info, Happy Cruiser. 

When a solo passenger is charged a fare that includes 2 beverage packages and 2 internet packages, it would be nice if they would give you a credit for the value of those unused second packages,

or else give you a raincheck for them that can be used on a future cruise

or else allow you to give them to a companion in another cabin who can use them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, varoo said:

Thanks for the info, Happy Cruiser. 

When a solo passenger is charged a fare that includes 2 beverage packages and 2 internet packages, it would be nice if they would give you a credit for the value of those unused second packages,

or else give you a raincheck for them that can be used on a future cruise

or else allow you to give them to a companion in another cabin who can use them.

Obviously that would need to be considered when evaluating whether to book with no perks (nonrefundable one deposit),  2 perks, or 4 perks.  If you would select 2 perks, you would obvious select  the OBC as one of the perks.  It does lead me to wonder  if the staff receives double gratuities if you select that option.

A better idea might be to allow a solo to book 2 or 3 perks, but only get charged the no perk fare for the surcharge. (But you would only receive $150 OBC).

On 4/9/2019 at 9:25 AM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I'll be curious how this works. I booked without perks (at a discount after final payment), but there are perks that come with the suite itself. Specifically, I'm wondering how they'll handle the internet. I need it on three devices, so it'll be interesting to see if they require me to buy 1 or 2 additional packages. 

I'm momentarily dreaming about one of those around the world cruises that last for 170+ days and wondering how the cruise line would react when I requested an industrial size freezer to accommodate Blasto's food for that long. 

3 hours ago, sstamour said:

....... I'm wondering how they'll handle the internet. I need it on three devices, so it'll be interesting to see if they require me to buy 1 or 2 additional packages.....

The Internet isn't per device but per account so that as you log one device in it logs the other out. 

If you did, however, have a need to use two devices on the Internet at once then I am sure a quick word with the Michael's Club Concierge and it could be sorted. 

Unless there has been a recent change, in order to set up your WIFI account you need the folio # from your sea pass and you will only have one. Unless you need to be logged into 3 devices at the same time one account will work.

Looking forward to your review.  We are back on Equinox in a RS in November, it's been a long time since we sailed on her.

On 4/8/2019 at 2:00 PM, Beachlover1989 said:

Looking forward to your blog!  While Michael's Club does often have activities, be sure and stop by the Martini Bar and Gastrobar too!  We absolutely loved the Gastrobar on Equinox and sometimes it was as hopping as the Martini Bar.  I'm sure you will meet a lot of new friends!

Micheals had no activity on my recent infinity cruise , great service but always empty. Loved luminae . Our first royal suite is next year.