Common Scheduled Activity on a Cruise Ship That I Have No interest In participating I

vicky3vicky

2 hours ago, cruisinpips said:

Trivia, treasure hunts, and anything that “advertises someting free”, (liquor tasting, etc..) all things I avoid. Never have found the appeal in answering a bunch of mind numbing questions all in pursuit of a plastic ship on a stick. But to each their own... 

THIS!  

• Like 1

I just jumped in to bash the "art" auction. And, I find most of the onboard shops a waste of space, especially EFFY.

The only thing I've learned is that if you have an British accent, you can work as a salesperson aboard a cruise ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I rarely do any of the organized activities.  First, I hate to feel like I wasted money. Second, I dislike crowds. I sometimes will catch a show or visit the piano bar. Occasionally the night club (if I can stay up). I am an outgoing person but I find that in the large, organized activities there are usually a few overbearing individuals that insist on being "the center of attention". 

• Like 1

I feel the port shopping talk is a waste of time.  The free makeover in the spa is a waste of time.  I've been to meet n greets before, they just seem awkward to me.  I have such a good time chatting on these boards & chatting with random people on vacation, but then when it's a set meeting, it just seems weird.  Maybe it's just me that's weird.  Anyway, I love the comedy club & I've done a liquor tasting, which is where I discovered Sheridan.  I've cruised through the art auction to grab a free glass of champagne & then left.  

As far as myself, the no-go list is as follows: art auction, bingo, karaoke, gold by the inch, watch sale (in fact, nothing with the word "sale") free liquor tastings, and probably a few more that I can't think of at the moment...

I skip the art auctions and anything involved with selling something.  I've only been to bingo a time or two.  I won once and have the Carnival bingo lanyard to prove it, but the prizes are small and the odds are slim because of the sheer number of people playing. 

I dont do any of them...back in the day a travel agent was asking me a lot of questions to help narrow down line and cabin choice...she got a little huffy and frustrated asking me....WELL if you dont drink,dont dance,dont gamble and dont use a gym just why are you taking a cuise?....i told her it was all about the blue water and fish...other than that im not fussy...that was 25 years ago....im a little pickier now due to medical stuff but still dont do any of the activities...

On our last cruise on the Horizon, there was NO art gallery and NO art auctions at all.  I think I remember reading in other threads that Carnival is phasing them out.  A lot of space was devoted to the Pixels gallery and advertising the services of the ship's photographers; they will gladly spend some time with you and create a portfolio for you and your family.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buckimion said:

'Games' that are really popularity/drunk friends yelling loud contests. (Hairy back, skimpy bikini ect..)

Wait a minute... skimpy bikini?  I've to check my Fun Times closer....I've been missing that one!

• Like 1

The Spa! I will never go to the spa again. I went on a cruise about 6 years ago to celebrate being done with chemotherapy. Some of my friends pitched together and purchased a spa treatment to celebrate. Chemotherapy [not to mention the slash and burn] had negatively impacted my self esteem, but, I had reached a place where I was comfortable again with my face and body. Right before the cruise I had even gotten a facial dermabrassion, a manicure, and a pedicure which made me feel even better. 

Until I got my spa treatments. Some type of facial and something else. It was okay until the end, when she started pointing out all of my physical flaws [some even I hadn't known I have] and how I needed more treatments and pricey products. I remember bursting out crying, running back to my cabin, and into the bathroom. I looked at my reflection and said "Yeah,you're not in denial, you're looking pretty good now, for a 300 year old lizard!" 

My husband wanted to lodge a complaint, but I wanted to just pretend it had never happened. I have no interest in the Art Auctions, but I actively avoid the spa. Believe it or not, I am not a vain person, but the timing was way off.

10 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

Until I got my spa treatments. Some type of facial and something else. It was okay until the end, when she started pointing out all of my physical flaws [some even I hadn't known I have] and how I needed more treatments and pricey products. I remember bursting out crying, running back to my cabin, and into the bathroom. I looked at my reflection and said "Yeah,you're not in denial, you're looking pretty good now, for a 300 year old lizard!" 

My husband wanted to lodge a complaint, but I wanted to just pretend it had never happened. I have no interest in the Art Auctions, but I actively avoid the spa. Believe it or not, I am not a vain person, but the timing was way off.

First of all, God Bless you for your recovery from such a terrible disease. Secondly, I'm so sorry that you had to endure such abuse from the spa member.

If it makes you feel any better, the way they treated you was not specific to you... unless you are VERY DIRECT with them at the beginning, they all do a hard sell at the end of any treatment, and find all the reasons why you need to buy that product, even getting as personal as yours did.

Some have said they tell the spa worker at the outset- I won't be buying anything from you today and just remember that your tip is dependent on how much you annoy me!

15 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

The Spa! I will never go to the spa again. I went on a cruise about 6 years ago to celebrate being done with chemotherapy. Some of my friends pitched together and purchased a spa treatment to celebrate. Chemotherapy [not to mention the slash and burn] had negatively impacted my self esteem, but, I had reached a place where I was comfortable again with my face and body. Right before the cruise I had even gotten a facial dermabrassion, a manicure, and a pedicure which made me feel even better. 

I am so sorry you were treated this way. I don't like the spa either.  I have run across the rudest workers on ship working in the spa. I don't do art auctions, or the jewelry,  or the excursion talk. My husband and I will only go to night club when it first opens and leave after the first hour.  The music get too raunchy and the the smoke to thick.

Art auctions, spa tours and treatments (though I will go to the thermal suite if the ship has a T-Pool), any presentation or offer of "free stuff."

Basically, I don't cruise for group activities. I cruise for the experience of being at sea, visiting different places, and spending quality time with my family. 

14 hours ago, keywest1 said:

Art Auction

Hairy chest contest 😁

Agree about the art auction.   But as someone said a fool is born every day.

The hairy chest contests can be fun.  Especially after many adult beverages.  Probably requires adult beverages to enjoy them.

12 hours ago, ddloml said:

On our last cruise on the Horizon, there was NO art gallery and NO art auctions at all.  I think I remember reading in other threads that Carnival is phasing them out.  A lot of space was devoted to the Pixels gallery and advertising the services of the ship's photographers; they will gladly spend some time with you and create a portfolio for you and your family.

You remember correctly.  They are phasing them out.  They finally realized that the majority of people cruising on Carnival aren't interested in buying art.

• Like 1