Laundry

graywolff123

All cruise lines will do your laundry for a fee in their laundry room.  Not all cruise lines/ships have self-service facilities.  For instant, there are NO self-service laundromats on RCI or Celebrity.  On Carnival and Princess, they have them on most ships.  Not sure about NCL or HAL.

7 hours ago, graywolff123 said:

ON TP or TA cruises are there self service laundry facilities available?

On the ships with a self service laundry, they are always available during certain daytime/evening hours (i.e 7am-9pm)

4 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I found self service laundry facilities on my Disney and Carnival cruises.  I did not find them on NCL or RCl.

Just to be clear, you did not find them on NCL or RCI because with those lines, as well as Celebrity, there are no self service laundry facilities on board any of their ships.  I say it that way because it could be interpreted that just because you did not find them, they might still be located somewhere on the ships.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Just to be clear, you did not find them on NCL or RCI because with those lines, as well as Celebrity, there are no self service laundry facilities on board any of their ships.  I say it that way because it could be interpreted that just because you did not find them, they might still be located somewhere on the ships.

Yes!  Sorry about that.  The RCL and NCL ships I sailed on did not have any self service laundry facilities.

1 hour ago, JudiB123 said:

Does anyone bring a small bottle of liquid detergent (e.g., dish), to hand wash an item of clothing in their room sink?

On longer cruises I always do hand washing in the sink. But I don't bring any kind of soap for that purpose. I've found (since I don't trust it on my own hair) that the shampoo supplied in our cabin works just as well for the clothes.

• Like 2

I'm sure

4 hours ago, JudiB123 said:

Does anyone bring a small bottle of liquid detergent (e.g., dish), to hand wash an item of clothing in their room sink?

I'm sure some/many have washed an item of clothing in their room sink. However, what someone else has done is quite irrelevant to what you might wish to do. If it pleases you, do it.

8 hours ago, Shorex said:

I'm sure

I'm sure some/many have washed an item of clothing in their room sink. However, what someone else has done is quite irrelevant to what you might wish to do. If it pleases you, do it.

Strange response. Of course, people are free to follow suggestions or not as they please. No one is demanding that they do hand laundry in their sink. 

On 4/14/2019 at 7:19 PM, JudiB123 said:

Oh yeah! This can be a lifesaver! I personally wouldn't want to hand over my clothes for the cruiseline to wash. I really don't need any clothing shrinkage to accompany my body's enlargement  🙂 Not sure how this will work in an inside room.

1 hour ago, agibeault said:

Oh yeah! This can be a lifesaver! I personally wouldn't want to hand over my clothes for the cruiseline to wash. I really don't need any clothing shrinkage to accompany my body's enlargement  🙂 Not sure how this will work in an inside room.

Not sure what type of fabric your clothing is made of, but my wife and I have always used the ships laundry services and have never - repeat - never had a problem with shrunk, damaged, or lost clothing items.

But then again, when we travel, we don't bring our most delicate items. We tend to bring items that will hold up to being packed and crowded into suitcases and too small closets or drawers. We prefer to pack clothing that can safely be sent out instead of spending our precious vacation time doing laundry. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Not sure what type of fabric your clothing is made of, but my wife and I have always used the ships laundry services and have never - repeat - never had a problem with shrunk, damaged, or lost clothing items.

But then again, when we travel, we don't bring our most delicate items. We tend to bring items that will hold up to being packed and crowded into suitcases and too small closets or drawers. We prefer to pack clothing that can safely be sent out instead of spending our precious vacation time doing laundry. 

Good to know, perhaps I will consider it then! At home I do wash all of my clothes in cold water and hang everything to dry other than pyjamas and socks, so the dryer alone makes me nervous. I wouldn't do a full load of laundry in the sink, just my swimsuits or if I had a spill and want/need to wear that item another day.

Edited by agibeault
  • Like 1

We did the bag of clothes on RC and the white t shirts and socks came back a bit gray, linty and heavily dried as if it had all been done on high heat. To be fair they recommend only underwear and small items and I included larger colored shirts and shorts and really crammed a lot into the little bag. No precious fine items that we care about but I probably won’t do it again. I prefer Carnival self service. I can do  one big load on cold, dry or fluff as I want for each item and hang rather than fold as applicable, for less than half the cost.  When flying this benefit is multiplied as luggage is such a massive hassle. We can get by with small bags plus then we can easily walk everything on and off.

14 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

From experience, the ship's laundries do tend to use fairly harsh detergents.

While on single, shorter cruises having items washed once or possibly twice, you most likely don't notice any damage. However, when aboard for 4 months and having heavy uniform shirts washed/starched at least once per week, they got thin fairly quickly. We also noted it during our last World Cruise, where we sent everything to the laundry. After the cruise we had to toss a few items, but had anticipated the issue and accepted the cost, for the convenience of not doing self-service laundry.

16 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

We've never used the ship's laundry on all our cruises, until the last one.  We sent our clothes out 4 times (except my dedicates).  No problem at all, it was great getting everything back folded and pressed.  Well, except for the last time we lost several items (not returned).  Don't know why anyone would be interested in the things that went missing but we don't have them any longer (hubby's underwear, couple pairs of his socks, 1 1/2 pairs of my socks and one tennis sock of mine).