JetBlue flies to London!

GeezerCouple

1 minute ago, Fairgarth said:

Heathrow?  Gatwick?  City?  Stansted?  Luton?  Southend?

I don't know yet.

Supposedly it will be from BOS and JFK.

And it should work with connections from the West Coast (my comment:  unless/until they fly the full way???).

Apparently not until 2021 (??) when there is new equipment, with new configuration of MINT (each *single* seat angled foot toward aisle, meaning awkward view out window).  This configuration might be for other routes, too.  Not sure.

GC

According to Jet Blue's web site, it's JFK and BOS to a to be determined airport near London. In other words, they are in the negotiating and bidding process. 

I use JB points for my domestic flights, and have a JB credit card....time to start using it more frequently so I can try JB to London in a few years.

Darcy

8 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I’ve never heard of JB. Is this something new? Or does poster mean B6?

It's pretty obvious that the poster who said "JB" means Jet Blue.  The thread is about Jet Blue, and the poster said "Jet Blue" previously in their reply.  The average occasional traveler likely has no idea the actual code for Jet Blue is B6, so JB is an obvious, if incorrect, abbreviation.  (Same with the many times someone uses SW to refer to Southwest; we all know they aren't referring to Air Namibia.)

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

It's pretty obvious that the poster who said "JB" means Jet Blue.  The thread is about Jet Blue, and the poster said "Jet Blue" previously in their reply.  The average occasional traveler likely has no idea the actual code for Jet Blue is B6, so JB is an obvious, if incorrect, abbreviation.  (Same with the many times someone uses SW to refer to Southwest; we all know they aren't referring to Air Namibia.)

I mean Air Namibia! But, I'm Namibian...

10 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I’ve never heard of JB. Is this something new? Or does poster mean B6?

JB Smoove is starting his own airline.

Anywho, I would put money on Gatwick. Avoid the cost of Heathrow slots, still have rail in to the city. LCY isn't possible with the A320 or A321, as far as I know...at least at this time, but I don't see that changing soon.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

LCY isn't possible with the A320 or A321, as far as I know...at least at this time, but I don't see that changing soon.

That's definitely not changing anytime soon, or even anytime less soon! I'd put more money on hell freezing over than on there being regular 320/321 operations to LCY.

jetBlue's plan isn't happening anytime soon, either. Quite a lot could change between now and then. I think that Sir Humphrey would call the idea of NYC-LON "courageous".

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

That's definitely not changing anytime soon, or even anytime less soon! I'd put more money on hell freezing over than on there being regular 320/321 operations to LCY.

jetBlue's plan isn't happening anytime soon, either. Quite a lot could change between now and then. I think that Sir Humphrey would call the idea of NYC-LON "courageous".

Maybe it'll end up like Southwest flying to Hawaii...10 years to actually come to fruition.

But I agree, I don't seen 320/321 capability at LCY in any forseeable future, let alone 2021. Would be pretty nice...I took the JFK-LCY flight once and it was heavenly to arrive in to LCY on a "longhaul" flight.

2 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I personally very much associate A320s with short haul flights, so I can’t imagine crossing the Atlantic in one. I wonder what Economy will be like. 

A321s are bigger, have longer range- up to 236 pax. The "neo" generation  of both planes have greater distance  (up to around 4500 miles) and better "gas mileage".

41 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I personally very much associate A320s with short haul flights, so I can’t imagine crossing the Atlantic in one. I wonder what Economy will be like. 

Loads of airlines use narrowbody aircraft across the Atlantic. Almost all of Icelandair's fleet are 757s. United and American use 757s too, and Delta have in the past, not sure about currently though.

BA use an Airbus A318 (even shorter than a A320) and have flown daily between London City and JFK for about 10yrs now. The LCY-JFK flight stops in Shannon where passengers clear US immigration and customs, but the return flight is non-stop.

2D0D8F3A00000578-0-image-a-25_1443900205

Edited by fbgd

15 hours ago, fbgd said:

Loads of airlines use narrowbody aircraft across the Atlantic. Almost all of Icelandair's fleet are 757s. United and American use 757s too, and Delta have in the past, not sure about currently though.

BA use an Airbus A318 (even shorter than a A320) and have flown daily between London City and JFK

I believe Delta is flying 757s from the northeast to Iceland, but I'm not positive.  From NY or BOS, flights to the UK, Ireland and Iceland are relatively short - not that much more than some transcontinental flights across the US- so they can be done in what's typically considered a domestic aircraft.

10 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

I believe Delta is flying 757s from the northeast to Iceland, but I'm not positive.

Correct. A quick check shows DL 757s flying between JFK and KEF.

10 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

From NY or BOS, flights to the UK, Ireland and Iceland are relatively short - not that much more than some transcontinental flights across the US- so they can be done in what's typically considered a domestic aircraft.

I actually MIA-SEA scheduled at the same as BOS-LHR - 6:30 scheduled duration.

A 320 should be a fraction better than a 737 or 757, anyway. The 320 family has a cabin width that's 6 inches more than the 737/757 cabin width, so it allows an extra inch of width per seat. That's a difference that noticeable in perceived comfort.

3 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

I believe Delta is flying 757s from the northeast to Iceland, but I'm not positive.  From NY or BOS, flights to the UK, Ireland and Iceland are relatively short - not that much more than some transcontinental flights across the US- so they can be done in what's typically considered a domestic aircraft.

I thought DL were operating 757s to Iceland but didn't want a pedant to point out Iceland isn't fully transatlantic 😄

You're very right about the lengths of flights too, in February my JFK-LAX flight was longer in the air then my JFK-LHR a week later...

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

I fly Alaska. 

I’m getting too old for the 737’s from SEA - FLL or SEA - HNL routes in coach. It’s either up front or different airline on a larger aircraft.

You are going to be headed up front.  As far as I can tell, there are no domestic twin-aisle routings out of SEA, other than HA on an A330 to HNL.  The days of DL running in L1011s and 767s are long gone.

FWIW, even moving up to a 757 won't get you more width or pitch on your seating.  An A320 or A321 might be a pinch wider, depending on the airline seat choices, since the fuselage is about 6 inches wider than the Boeing narrowbodies.  But you still run into tight pitch across the board.