Whisper Cape Town to Greenwich - a segmenters view

Silver Spectre

1 hour ago, DCCruiser57 said:

According to Norman & Oliver, jackets are not required in Panorama.

I would be pleased if this were the case, but I wonder if someone could confirm that this is policy fleet wide on informal nights (which was the night in question).

Also on formal nights?

I recall a confrontation around 6:30 pm in Whisper Panorama a year or so ago.  A crew member *very* nicely reminded two gentlemen of the informal dress code and asked that they get jackets.  They responded rudely and inappropriately until someone in a more impressive uniform came by and told them they must leave.

I prefer casual and would be pleased if this is Silversea policy for Panorama (in fact, for the entire ship.  Always! 🙂).  I would appreciate confirmation.  Meanwhile, I will adhere to the published dress code. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Observer said:

I prefer casual and would be pleased if this is Silversea policy for Panorama (in fact, for the entire ship.  Always! 🙂).  I would appreciate confirmation.  Meanwhile, I will adhere to the published dress code. 

That is because you are a gentleman. Others are not so graceful. 

• Like 2

I was there in a nice dress shirt and slacks and the bartender informed us that I needed a coat.  I immediately returned to my suite to fetch a coat.  Our friend, who knows Norman well inquired the next day and he said the Panorama is always casual.  Later, Oliver also indicated this was true.

16 minutes ago, DCCruiser57 said:

I was there in a nice dress shirt and slacks and the bartender informed us that I needed a coat.  I immediately returned to my suite to fetch a coat. 

Another gentleman. Would that others were so socially competent. 

• Like 1

Even in my short time history with Silversea I’ve seen some relaxation of the dress code.  Our first Silversea cruise was in 2012 on the Wind in the Med.  My experience and impression was the dress code was politely but none the less enforced throughout the ship the whole evening.    Even I accidentally tripped up when I was looking for my wife and our travel partners one evening.  We had just gotten back to the ship from a private tour.  Once we boarded I quickly separated myself from them for a visit to the restroom.  When I came out they were nowhere to be found so I walked into The Bar to see if they were there or had gone in to our cabins.   Even though I was neatly dressed in slacks, a collared shirt, and a sweater I was quickly reminded that the dress code was informal that night and I was not compliant.  Fast forward to our most recent Med cruise on the Spirit and while the dress code was “enforced” it wasn’t ship wide and you would see just about anything in the bars.   

42 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Fast forward to our most recent Med cruise on the Spirit and while the dress code was “enforced” it wasn’t ship wide and you would see just about anything in the bars.   

This is disSpiriting.  (Pun intended.)  

I would much prefer that dress codes not be an issue and that casual would be always acceptable and only nakedness prohibited.  But worse than the current dress codes is ambiguity and lack of enforcement.  

I do not think the bar staff should be expected to enforce the code.  They often want/expect/receive tips/comments from regulars.  Their jobs are precious to them (and their families) and they cannot risk offending an unreasonable guest by being an enforcer.

Why aren't the CD and Asst. CD, Guest Relations Mgr. and F&B/Bar/Restaurant managers cruising the bars and asking people to dress properly?  People are seated by MDs at tables in restaurants.  I think they should enforce the announced code for the day, though I see them frequently let people in on informal nights with no jackets.

I rarely attend shows.  Are people permitted in the Venetian Lounge without "proper" dress?  I can almost see an announced exception for shows, so that someone dining in Grill can catch a show without dressing up.  But any exceptions should be announced.  It would not be beyond the capacity of CD, etc., to stand at door and ask non-compliant gentlemen to become compliant.

I understand that there is no joy for CD, MD, etc., in being enforcer.   But if there is that much enforcement necessary, perhaps it's time for SS to reconsider its dress code.

Edited by Observer

This was once an interesting thread, describing a long voyage from South Africa to the UK. Now it has degenerated into yet another tedious squabble about dress codes.  Moderators would do well and delete all these diversionary and irrelevant posts.

• Haha 1

Safely docked alongside the Bourse Maritime, Bordeaux. Still no photos yet as we continue to have African WiFi. The Wind has gone and the sunshine is lovely.

Apparently Norman has dipped into his deep pockets and arranged a special WC firework event, on the river, astern of the ship, between 11:15 and 11:30 this evening🤣

4 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Slightly scary moment when the Captain failed to get us away from the dock and then with the tug at the rear end holding us against a 35 knot wind, inched us out into the river at the second attempt.

Yikes!  Reminds me of the issue down at Key West.

20 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Apparently Norman has dipped into his deep pockets and arranged a special WC firework event, on the river, astern of the ship, between 11:15 and 11:30 this evening.

Very cool!

16 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Yikes!  Reminds me of the issue down at Key West.

I just read that the Mallory Square pier that was put out of order by the Spirit collision in December has just been re-opened.  The cost was estimated to be $500K.  I had heard that the Master of Spirit during that incident is no longer with SS.  Can anyone confirm (or, I hope, refute.  I liked him a great deal)?

3 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Whoa!  That was a costly little mistake.  Who was the captain of that voyage?

Given the circumstances and the fact that my information may be incorrect and I would not want to slander someone, I hope you will understand if I refrain from sharing any names.

The $500K cost was for repair of the bollard to which ships tie up. The total cost (to SS and/or their insurer) may have been even greater since as I recall the ship was many hours late arriving in Port Everglades, thus requiring people to miss/change flights, etc.    Embarking guests had to be "entertained" until mid/late-afternoon and were bussed to Conrad Hotel for catered lunch.

Edited by Observer

5 minutes ago, Observer said:

Given the circumstances and the fact that my information may be incorrect and I would not want to slander someone, I hope you will understand if I refrain from sharing any names.

Totally understand Observer.  I remember JollyJones had a friend on that voyage, so she'll probably know who the captain was at that time.

29 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Whoa!  That was a costly little mistake.  Who was the captain of that voyage?

Chump change in comparison to this which I witnessed at Messina while travelling on the ship. I was at the front just below the bridge and couldn't make out why we were going out sideways. Showboating..... The seas were calm and the weather great. I could see that it was about to happen.

From a different angle.

I asked the CD when we disembarked if they'd be allowed back in port - and was told they wouldn't dare ban them - they need the revenue. It all went quiet on compensation and repairs and I've never seen anything that suggested they paid for the damage caused. I could see a good 3 or 4 minutes before it happened something was wrong, You'd think it would be easy steering in a straight line (And it really was a straight line from the dock point to exit....... but sideways is the in thing!!!

Everything continue on OK SS?

Edited by les37b

6 minutes ago, les37b said:

Chump change in comparison to this which I witnessed at Messina while travelling on the ship. I was at the front just below the bridge and couldn't make out why we were going out sideways. Showboating..... The seas were calm and the weather great. I could see that it was about to happen.

From a different angle.

I asked the CD when we disembarked if they'd be allowed back in port - and was told they wouldn't dare ban them - they need the revenue. It all went quiet on compensation and repairs and I've never seen anything that suggested they paid for the damage caused. I could see a good 3 or 4 minutes before it happened something was wrong, You'd think it would be easy steering in a straight line (And it really was a straight line from the dock point to exit....... but sideways is the in thing!!!

Everything continue on OK SS?

No problems Les.

20 hours ago, Fletcher said:

This was once an interesting thread, describing a long voyage from South Africa to the UK. Now it has degenerated into yet another tedious squabble about dress codes.  Moderators would do well and delete all these diversionary and irrelevant posts.

If you don’t like the posts, then don’t read them.  We are just sharing information.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Totally understand Observer.  I remember JollyJones had a friend on that voyage, so she'll probably know who the captain was at that time.

Actually, my friend is not a regular cruiser and barely knows what ship she's on, I doubt she has any idea who the Captain was. Otherwise she's extremely intelligent, but doesn't do cruise minutiae.