Jogging on the Promenade Deck

mcphreek

Jogging on the Promenade Deck  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Is jogging ok on the Promenade Deck?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/25/2019 at 06:02 PM

I noticed in a photo on the promenade deck of the Koningsdam there was a sign which said ‘No Jogging.’ While I suspect I’m about to be excoriated, I’m curious how people really feel about this as, with the exception of two short sections aft by the dining room, there seems to be a pretty wide walkway? I get that there’s a jogging track on the Sun Deck but it seems pretty small, it’s already boring running in circles so I’m not looking forward to smaller circles (if ten miles is 30 laps of the promenade deck, it looks like it would be 150 laps of the jogging track and I can’t count that high). I realize there are treadmills in the fitness center as well, and I plan on using them too, but they’re even more boring than running in circles!

And go...

I am a jogger and voted no.  I use the sports deck or treadmills.  Risking rotten tomatoes being thrown my way I can’t say I think much of the Koningsdam’s promenade.  and yes I have been overrun by aggressive power walkers on my evening strolls 

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am a jogger and voted no.  I use the sports deck or treadmills.  Risking rotten tomatoes being thrown my way I can’t say I think much of the Koningsdam’s promenade.  and yes I have been overrun by aggressive power walkers on my evening strolls 

I don't think you'll get many rotten tomatoes for saying you dislike the K's promenade. To me "promenade" sounds like a pleasant stroll, not trying to make your way through what looks like an industrial site. The problem I see with the up-top jogging tracks is it seems so open that it must be very windy up there when the ship is moving--I've only wandered up there to take pictures when we've been in port. 

We usually have a cabin under the Promenade deck, and occasionally hear people walking laps. You can definitely hear it when people are jogging! ‘Promenade ‘ brings to mind a picture of a gentle stroll. Love the  Promenade Deck on the Maasdam.

We were on the Zuiderdam in April 2017.  I was recovering from my second total knee replacement and as part of my continuing rehab I walked the promenade twice daily.  One morning while walking I’d just cleared the aft corner when I was jostled slightly by a jogger whom I did not hear coming (and I have “young” 57 yr old ears) and as a result I shifted farther to the outside just as, unbeknownst to me, her husband came jogging around the corner.  He tripped over me, slid on the deck just narrowly missing hitting his head on a steel bulkhead. I twisted my knee and limped over to a bench.  I was fine but very rattled.  I didn’t walk on the deck again during our 10 day trip.

No.  I do not think jogging should be allowed. It’s a serious accident waiting to happen. We were lucky.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t get it. Is it “ok”?  It is not relative to the individual.  Perhaps you’d like it to be allowed.  IMO you may be better off accepting that you won’t be jogging there, and moving on to plan other activities to enjoy the cruise.

I am also a jogger, and formerly a competitive runner.

(No vote)

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

I can't imagine why they've removed all of the signage directing walkers to go counterclockwise.  At least Amsterdam still has a "One Way" sign with an arrow.  I'm a VERY brisk walker (NOT a jogger!) and like to do 2 miles each morning.  But because the signage directing one-way walking has been removed I have to get up VERY early to do my laps and am probably inconveniencing the crew who hose the deck early in the morning.  Anyway, those blind corners are dangerous now with folks meandering in both directions.  Uh, guess I'm slightly off-topic -- but not by much.  Apologies anyway.

• Like 1