Taking cards but can we use them ?

Nickynac

Going to the Baltic June 1 boarding at Southampton, with so many different sorts of currency's I would love to know if we can use our cards  in different ports for payment 😁 

If not then do we have to get the correct currency and if so where from once we are there ? 

Thanks for your help 

Last year was the first time we bought currency through the mail from  the Auto Club.  (AAA).    Was nice to have some currency on hand as we got off the plane and not have to look for an ATM machine right away.   We use wheelchair assistance so don't want to hold anyone up looking.   For the small amount we bought the charges were fine and we also were able to mail back what we might not have used.    Would use this service again. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nickynac said:

Going to the Baltic June 1 boarding at Southampton, with so many different sorts of currency's I would love to know if we can use our cards  in different ports for payment 😁 

If not then do we have to get the correct currency and if so where from once we are there ? 

Thanks for your help 

Make sure that your credit card does not charge for currency conversion. If you are going on independent tours they will advise if you need local currency; if so we find it easier to get it from our bank before we leave. 

• Thanks 1

In 2016 we did three consecutive cruises - leaving from Florida to London, Norway, then the Baltic.  We went to 12 countries.  I ordered a small denomination for each country - after looking at what we wanted to do at each port.  Some countries we decided to get off the ship and do our own "hop on hop off" bus - used local currency to pay for that - others we used ship excursion and used currency to pay for tips and small purchases - we used our credit card for major purchases only.  At the end of the cruise we used the left over "monies" to pay extra tips on board.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

In 2016 we did three consecutive cruises - leaving from Florida to London, Norway, then the Baltic.  We went to 12 countries.  I ordered a small denomination for each country - after looking at what we wanted to do at each port.  Some countries we decided to get off the ship and do our own "hop on hop off" bus - used local currency to pay for that - others we used ship excursion and used currency to pay for tips and small purchases - we used our credit card for major purchases only.  At the end of the cruise we used the left over "monies" to pay extra tips on board.

Good idea regarding left over money.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

The extra tips only work if the crew gets back to that country again to use them.    I had one room steward complain that his only tips from one passenger were in Russian Rubles which were useless.   

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Nickynac said:

Thanks for your help 

Not only can you use your CC’s but they will be the preferred option in many places you visit.  Norway and Sweden have both become virtually cashless societies.  CC’ s are used for even small convenience purchases.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the following recommendations for using credit cards (for US residents traveling in other countries):

Visa and MasterCard are accepted more widely than American Express in many countries.

Many credit cards have a 3% foreign transaction fee. Make sure that any card you take does not.

Make sure to contact the credit card company in advance to give them a foreign travel notification. For some, you can do it online and for others, you have to call. One of my credit cards does not require the notification if you pay for the airline tickets with that card, since they get the itinerary from the airline tickets.

Make a list of your credit cards (without the card numbers) and the telephone numbers to call for lost cards, and keep that list separate from your cards. You won't need the credit card numbers to notify them, since they can find you card from your social security number. Also put these numbers in your phone, if you are taking one. Many cards have two numbers - a toll-free number that can only be used from the US and Canada (or from your US cell phone) and another number that will accept collect calls - make sure you have the second number.

If you and your spouse are taking credit cards, do not take cards with the same credit card number. If they have the same number, then if one is lost, the other one is not valid once the loss is reported. Some credit cards use different numbers for the two cards even though they are on the same account, and some don't.

Take both a Visa and a MasterCard, since some places don't take both. Take cards from different banks, in case there is a problem with one of the banks. Generally, my wife and I take completely different cards - so it is more likely that one will work.

Make sure your cards have a chip. Magnetic stripes are no longer accepted in many countries.

If your card is chip and sign instead of chip and pin, you can use it most places with people but not at many automated machines.

Take a debit card (not a credit card) to get foreign currency from ATM machines. If you use a credit card, it is considered a loan and you are paying interest even if you repay as soon as you get back. Check how much your debit card charges for foreign transaction fees and for out-of-network ATMs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We did this cruise last year.  We used a card with no transaction fees for everything from hot dog carts in Copenhagen to taxis with  no issues.  I took some Danish Kroner for tips and small purchases in Copenhagen (about $200) as we were there for 5 days and used the last of it at the farmers market buying Danish cheese to take home.  We took some Euros and brought back about 200 which we will use this year.  In Russia our Tour Company advised that any tips could be in Rubles, Dollars or Euros.  We had no need for cash in Russia except for the toilets.  Our Guide was prepared for everyone who did not have Rubles or Euro coins the one time that this was needed.  Enjoy your trip!

• Thanks 1

When we did the Baltic we spent a few days pre- cruise in Copenhagen.  We got some local cash from an ATM to pay for some local expenses. We did the same in Southampton when we boarded there. Once on board we did not require and local currency. Credit Cards are widely accepted. If you do require some local cash you can get it an an ATM. Guides on Princess tours accept US$ as tips. We also took some private tours where we paid in US$. These guides also accepted US$ for tips.

My response is based on you being from the U.S.. Correct?

• Thanks 1

Are there any banks in the US that issue chip and PIN cards? I have not found any. Chip and a PIN would be very convenient for bus/metro/train tickets. I also read in Rick Steve's that there is a kiosk for Vasa tix which only takes chip and PIN. Lines to buy with other credit crds can get long. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cadreamer said:

Are there any banks in the US that issue chip and PIN cards? I have not found any. Chip and a PIN would be very convenient for bus/metro/train tickets. I also read in Rick Steve's that there is a kiosk for Vasa tix which only takes chip and PIN. Lines to buy with other credit crds can get long. Thanks.

All my U.S. credit cards are chip cards.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, skynight said:

All my U.S. credit cards are chip cards.

The question was -- what banks have chip and pin cards, not do your cards have chips. If your cards are truly chip and pin, please answer the question and let us all know what bank issued them.

This is all a bit confusing for me but do debit cards count?   I have a chip but also have a pin.   Depending on how the retailer rings it up I can use either.  Comes from a credit union.

1 hour ago, snowskier said:

The question was -- what banks have chip and pin cards, not do your cards have chips. If your cards are truly chip and pin, please answer the question and let us all know what bank issued them.

I was able to use my Princess Visa card (Barclays) in an automated ticket machine at the London National Express coach station last August.  I had established a 4 digit PIN before leaving home.

Lynn

You can request a PIN from most banks to go with your chip card.

Ours is from Capitol One --we requested it. It also actually functions as a chip and signature card. 

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/chip-cards/

Edited by Alaskanb

3 hours ago, skynight said:

When we did the Baltic we spent a few days pre- cruise in Copenhagen.  We got some local cash from an ATM to pay for some local expenses. We did the same in Southampton when we boarded there. Once on board we did not require and local currency. Credit Cards are widely accepted. If you do require some local cash you can get it an an ATM. Guides on Princess tours accept US$ as tips. We also took some private tours where we paid in US$. These guides also accepted US$ for tips.

My response is based on you being from the U.S.. Correct?

No we are from UK 

32 minutes ago, tempus137 said:

You can request a PIN from most banks to go with your chip card.

Can you provide some examples of US banks that offer a "Chip & PIN" credit card? My current banks all offer only "Chip & Signature".  They will provide me with a PIN, but that is used for purposes such as identification when contacting the credit card company and possibly for ATM withdrawals.  They don't work as a "Chip & PIN" credit card in European vending machines or other places only "Chip & PIN" is accepted.  We looked for US "Chip & PIN" cards a few years back  and could not find one.  Maybe that has changed? The good news was "Chip & Signature" worked fine in anyplace in northern Europe we tried where there was a human being. It would not work in train vending machines.

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

Make sure your cards have a chip. Magnetic stripes are no longer accepted in many countries.

If your card is chip and sign instead of chip and pin, you can use it most places with people but not at many automated machines.

Cards in the US are "chip and sign". We can't possibly be like the rest of the world.:classic_blink: Chip and sign cards are not at all secure. I usually draw a "happy face" in the signature area and it goes through fine. Signing for use of credit was originally in place so merchants could compare the signature on the back of the card or the signature on your ID to verify the signature on the credit slip. They stopped doing that a long time ago. Now we just have a stupid system that isn't compatible with other countries.

I use a card from Capital One. No foreign transaction fees and I was able to get a PIN assigned to the card. It's not normal to have a PIN in the US but I wanted it in place for travel. We use the card for everything except gas as the stations often charge 10 cents per gallon more with credit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, snowskier said:

Sorry, what I meant to infer is that many banks now have the chip card. We have Bank of America, Citi Bank, Our Credit Union, NBT Bank, Chase. Many other banks have chip cards. All our cards have the PIN option which would be used for things like getting cash from an ATM. In the super market for example no PIN nor signature is required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1