Princess Inventory game?

jimmieg

First, I'm a Princess loyalist (33 behind me. Two more already booked. Don't be harsh. I'm looking for a 12-step program for my addiction😲). Thought I'd throw in a 14 day Alaska I saw at a decent $ for Island (yeah, yeah- I know) 

in August (it will be 100+ here then)under "Come Back New" promo that came in the mail. Maybe they feed my addiction?

HOWEVER, only a few BF cabins available - 2 under Horizon and about 6 over Princess Theater. I'm not nervous, but I do like quiet.

On checking both legs (it could be booked as two 7 days) lots of inventory was available for same room.

So I called - talked to call center agent who was nice (he had never cruised😉, said I knew more about his ships than he did😂), a senior vacation planner who knew more but was powerless, and a customer care rep (who was sympathetic and said she would ask proper folks ("could take a few days for them to respond") if a BE could be opened for 14 day booking (I'm not greedy and am ok with staying at the end of the hall. It's quiet and I need to walk.)

But, no decision makers can connect with me directly. All 3 contacts tried to sell me B2B at nearly 2x the $. I'm not desperate.

My take aways -

1. "sold out" does not mean "really sold out."

2. Book "any category and get lowest price for that category" sounds nice, but only works if inventory is released. And...

3. People who can make a customer service decision are locked away from paying customers" like they're in a witness protection program.

BTW, my wife is tired of hearing me offer my opinions on this, so just using CC for a little free therapy. Better than divorce.

Guess I won't be coming home new. 

PS I did politely ask the rep if he happened to have a number for Celebrity handy. Should I not have done that?

(I did "date" Celebrity recently. They gave me a 6 category upgrade to Aqua with a private dining room on a 32 night cruise -as a relative newcomer). Maybe Princess and I should start seeing other people?

Befuddled in Santa Clarita.

• Haha 2

We had a similar situation a few years ago when we decided to make a single cruise into a B2B because Princess reduced the price of the B2B to a few dollars BELOW the price of the single cruise (!) but the cabin we reserved was only available as two single cruises and priced as two single cruises.  I told our TA we were willing to change cabins if necessary but she called me back within a half an hour and said Princess had no problem with us staying in the same cabin for the B2B fare.

It sounds like you didn't work with a TA but I would hold out hope that the customer service rep can reach the staff with the power to make it happen.

6 family members wanted to take a March cruise to the Caribbean.  They found the cruise they liked on the website and 3 cabins in a row they liked Mid Aft Fwd.When our TA called all they were told was available was a few balconies on Rivera Deck at the aft end of the ship.  They grabbed them in order to go on that cruise.  A few days later the cabins they wanted still showed available and I verified it with a mock booking.  Princess seems to be doing everything possible lately to alienate their customers and send people elsewhere.  We are currently considering another cruise line after our current confirmed cruises.

• Like 1

If Princess still shows them available then book them direct on the web site. Don't call some Princess rep that says they aren't available. If they were available with a mock booking I don't see why they wouldn't be available with a real booking.

• Like 2

I have had this in the past when wanting to book a cruise that can be booked as a b2b - 2 - 10 days cruise or 1 - 20 day cruise and the cabin I want is not available on the 20 day cruise but is available on the 10 day b2b cruise. A good TA can call Princess and get them to change the cabin you want to be the one cruise and not a b2b cruise. I have even done this by calling Princess myself when my TA was away. Just asked to speak to someone in the Inventory Department. But this is a good case example why using a good TA is worth your time. 

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

It sounds like you didn't work with a TA but I would hold out hope that the customer service rep can reach the staff with the power to make it happen.

Actually went to Princess myself only after agent struck out after over an hour on the phone.🙄

3 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Sounds like you live near their office. Can you go there in person? That might be fun. 

I actually had to hand deliver an errant shareholder obc form once. Security was tighter in that building than most federal facilities.

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

Worked with an agent first. They struck out. Was going make booking myself and xfer back if I could make my case personally.

2 hours ago, dstables said:

Just asked to speak to someone in the Inventory Department. But this is a good case example why using a good TA is worth your time. 

😂🤣😂  I assume you're being facetious about speaking to the Inventory Department directly, huh?

But if you get through and pass on the ext # to me, there's a free creme brulee in it for you on your next sailing.

BTW, I only called customer relations directly after agent failed to get inventory opened after an hour of back and forth. 

I really think Princess booking and customer relations folks are trained by Guest Services Desk aboard ship. They are all polite, but no one is given authority to make a decision. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

It is exactly what drove me from Princess and I have never been back. One Transatlantic,  a 15 day and an 18 day version.  Every single caribe cabin was being held for the 18 day version.  I fully appreciate having cabins set aside for both, but not a whole freaking deck.  After 11 with Princess we haven’t been back since. 

Edited by Cruise Junky

I have seen Princess let cabins sail empty rather than change the inventory allocation.

There was a cruise that could be booked from Houston to Europe with a stop at Fort Lauderdale to pick up additional passengers.

So the inventory was allocated with some cabins for Houston to Europe and some for Fort Lauderdale to Europe.

When the Houston to Europe cabins were sold out but Fort Lauderdale to Europe was still available, Princess would not allow some of that inventory be available for Houston to Europe.

Because it is illegal to sell passage just from Houston to Fort Lauderdale, any cabins sold for Fort Lauderdale to Europe had to remain empty from Houston to Fort Lauderdale.

There were some on the roll call who posted they lived in Houston, but had to book for Fort Lauderdale to Europe and then pay to fly to Fort Lauderdale for the cruise.

7 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

It is exactly what drove me from Princess and I have never been back. One Transatlantic,  a 15 day and an 18 day version.  Every single caribe cabin was being held for the 18 day version.  I fully appreciate having cabins set aside for both, but not a whole freaking deck.  After 11 with Princess we haven’t been back since. 

Sad.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

I have seen Princess let cabins sail empty rather than change the inventory allocation.

There was a cruise that could be booked from Houston to Europe with a stop at Fort Lauderdale to pick up additional passengers.

So the inventory was allocated with some cabins for Houston to Europe and some for Fort Lauderdale to Europe.

When the Houston to Europe cabins were sold out but Fort Lauderdale to Europe was still available, Princess would not allow some of that inventory be available for Houston to Europe.

Because it is illegal to sell passage just from Houston to Fort Lauderdale, any cabins sold for Fort Lauderdale to Europe had to remain empty from Houston to Fort Lauderdale.

There were some on the roll call who posted they lived in Houston, but had to book for Fort Lauderdale to Europe and then pay to fly to Fort Lauderdale for the cruise.

As a share holder in CCL, I applaud the revenue-enhancing logarithmic software that "usually" has ships sailing at capacity.

As a passenger, I wish someone was empowered in real-time to make adjustments to meet the needs of the customer trying to purchase the product, Caribill. 

I am tracking a cruise I am on in a few months. Yesterday was final payment day. Today prices went up about $600 in all categories. Still the same number of cabins available as yesterday. I am looking for an upgrade. Maybe they want to create a perceived shortage and then lower the prices for the May sale.

Interesting. 

27 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

I am tracking a cruise I am on in a few months. Yesterday was final payment day. Today prices went up about $600 in all categories. Still the same number of cabins available as yesterday. I am looking for an upgrade. Maybe they want to create a perceived shortage and then lower the prices for the May sale.

Interesting. 

You never know the sailing in reality might be oversold.

Just because there are cabins showing available doesn't mean that the sailing is wide open.

Remember there are probably many many GTY's to satisfy.

The inventory changes by the minute. Many times I have pulled up a cruise and there was availability so I procrastinated and when I went back the sailing was in fact sold out.

Princess has this down to a science and do it week in and week out.

There is no way a passenger/customer looking at the public side of the booking website could ever possibly tell what is going on with any given cruise from a cursory search.

12 hours ago, jimmieg said:

First, I'm a Princess loyalist (33 behind me. Two more already booked. Don't be harsh. I'm looking for a 12-step program for my addiction😲). Thought I'd throw in a 14 day Alaska I saw at a decent $ for Island (yeah, yeah- I know) 

in August (it will be 100+ here then)under "Come Back New" promo that came in the mail. Maybe they feed my addiction?

HOWEVER, only a few BF cabins available - 2 under Horizon and about 6 over Princess Theater. I'm not nervous, but I do like quiet.

On checking both legs (it could be booked as two 7 days) lots of inventory was available for same room.

So I called - talked to call center agent who was nice (he had never cruised😉, said I knew more about his ships than he did😂), a senior vacation planner who knew more but was powerless, and a customer care rep (who was sympathetic and said she would ask proper folks ("could take a few days for them to respond") if a BE could be opened for 14 day booking (I'm not greedy and am ok with staying at the end of the hall. It's quiet and I need to walk.)

But, no decision makers can connect with me directly. All 3 contacts tried to sell me B2B at nearly 2x the $. I'm not desperate.

My take aways -

1. "sold out" does not mean "really sold out."

2. Book "any category and get lowest price for that category" sounds nice, but only works if inventory is released. And...

3. People who can make a customer service decision are locked away from paying customers" like they're in a witness protection program.

BTW, my wife is tired of hearing me offer my opinions on this, so just using CC for a little free therapy. Better than divorce.

Guess I won't be coming home new. 

PS I did politely ask the rep if he happened to have a number for Celebrity handy. Should I not have done that?

(I did "date" Celebrity recently. They gave me a 6 category upgrade to Aqua with a private dining room on a 32 night cruise -as a relative newcomer). Maybe Princess and I should start seeing other people?

Befuddled in Santa Clarita.

I would never expect a PVP to be able to do anything for me. At least no more than a Princess regular phone rep could.

My TA quite a few times has been able to get a cabin for me pulled for a b2b that was only available on 1 segment and showing sold out for the other.

Did you try entering a 3rd and/or 4th person in the cabin selection when it asks you how many passengers just to see if additional cabins show up for you?

I am finding that on almost every cruise I research more cabin choices show up with the 3rd and 4th.

I have booked for 3 then drop the 3rd after snagging the cabin. There are a few work arounds. I would strongly suggest you get a really good TA.

Are there not any GTY's available for you to book rather than picking a specific cabin?

12 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

OP: your best bet is to call a TA that books a lot of Princess cruises. The TA might be able to get what you want.

This was with a TA that works with Princess. Unfortunately the 6 people involved are in several states and getting all to agree on a change is worse than pulling hens teeth. They are stuck with it. SHe has always been able to meet our needs except in this case. It is not for lack of trying by the TA.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I would never expect a PVP to be able to do anything for me. At least no more than a Princess regular phone rep could.

My TA quite a few times has been able to get a cabin for me pulled for a b2b that was only available on 1 segment and showing sold out for the other.

Did you try entering a 3rd and/or 4th person in the cabin selection when it asks you how many passengers just to see if additional cabins show up for you?

I am finding that on almost every cruise I research more cabin choices show up with the 3rd and 4th.

I have booked for 3 then drop the 3rd after snagging the cabin. There are a few work arounds. I would strongly suggest you get a really good TA.

Are there not any GTY's available for you to book rather than picking a specific cabin?

Good idea on trying for 3/4 people. However, just shows all cabins sold out (they're not). 

I guess, by definition, the illusive "really good TA" would be the illusive one that can work magic where others have failed.  If they fail, then they are not good.

When the board rules change, we can post the list of "the really good TA's" that have a hotline to the back office .;>)

Until then, I'll just wait until the upcoming final pay date and bet that things open after.  I never NEED to have another cruise. And last I checked, there's near gridlock with ships in AK this summer.  

Just did a search on Princess Transatlantics and it does look like they do hold cabins back for the longer cruises to get booked.

But for how long?  Do they really let cabins go empty? 

But it probably is true and a good travel agent can get it worked out in many cases.

58 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

One of your "take aways" should've been to use a real TA, not a PVP that has no clue what cruising is really like.

My PVP is wonderful - she calls and e-mails me whenever a sale comes up that might save me money - she has become pretty much a friend to us

Oh my gosh.  This is also what has happened to me.  I am booked on a 20 day Caribbean cruise next January.  I wanted a cabin on Riviera aft.  Only rooms available are on Aloha, so I am booked on Aloha.  However when I look at the two 10 day segments, there are lots of rooms available on Riviera aft.  So frustrating.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TSM AND JP said:

Oh my gosh.  This is also what has happened to me.  I am booked on a 20 day Caribbean cruise next January.  I wanted a cabin on Riviera aft.  Only rooms available are on Aloha, so I am booked on Aloha.  However when I look at the two 10 day segments, there are lots of rooms available on Riviera aft.  So frustrating.  

One can sometimes come out ahead by booking segments. We were booked for the 49 day "around the horn" cruise from FLL to LA. (We dropped the cruise later.) Princess said "NO" to the Sip and Sail as the cruise was too long. I booked it as segments - 19 days and 30 days - and Princess was happy to let me have the Sip and Sail. I also got the OBC from using 2 FCD as deposit as well as double Shareholder OBC.  Always check to see if you will come out ahead with segments.