Dinner Buffet

Briitini

I have an honest question about the dinner buffet offerings... has the dinner buffet line always been 75% salad bar and around 25% of the offerings being actual hot cooked foods? This is an observation while being on a cruise right now. I appreciate any insight for my own knowledge. 

19 minutes ago, Briitini said:

I have an honest question about the dinner buffet offerings... has the dinner buffet line always been 75% salad bar and around 25% of the offerings being actual hot cooked foods? This is an observation while being on a cruise right now. I appreciate any insight for my own knowledge. 

I feel like it is the complete opposite! 

• Like 1

It might depend on the ship. In my experience, the Miracle (Spirit class ships) has a nice, big salad bar where as the Splendor has a small salad bar. The Smaller ships (Fantasy class) are in between.

• Like 1

On the Glory last February I found the supper buffet adequate, but I'm pretty easy to please.  They always had a carved meat, a baked fish, fried shrimp or something like that, a pasta or two, a couple of vegetables, rice, potatoes, baked potato (with trimming options from the salad bar).  But at home I also don't eat cold salad bar options all that much, and they are kind of a treat for me.  I'm happily not tempted by the deserts because they've never tasted as good as they look, with the exception now of the cakes at lunch, which I find are very good.  There's also always deli and pizza.

• Like 1

Just now, Joebucks said:

Prime example of taking others cruise experiences to heart. Some say there is too much salad. Some say there is not enough. Which do you believe?

After having a near-fatal heart attack just over a year ago and changing my diet and lifestyle, I can say there is never enough salad 🙂

I find the dinner buffet on Carnival just average.  Royal has a much better selection with multiple stations of different food, in addition to the regular areas.  I like the salad bar on Carnival and think they have a good variety of selections.  The hot food is hit or miss and there aren't a lot of options.  I like the desserts and think they have a nice variety.  I know some people don't think the desserts are good, but since I usually only eat desserts when I am cruising I find them tasty.

When eating dinner at the buffet, my husband will either try to grab a Guy's burger before they close or he will go to the sandwich station in the buffet and make something.

21 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I find the dinner buffet on Carnival just average.  Royal has a much better selection with multiple stations of different food, in addition to the regular areas.  I like the salad bar on Carnival and think they have a good variety of selections.  The hot food is hit or miss and there aren't a lot of options.  I like the desserts and think they have a nice variety.  I know some people don't think the desserts are good, but since I usually only eat desserts when I am cruising I find them tasty.

When eating dinner at the buffet, my husband will either try to grab a Guy's burger before they close or he will go to the sandwich station in the buffet and make something.

I've always found plenty of options are the buffet when we eat there. Most evenings though we prefer the MDR. I'm certain the different ships buffets are somewhat different but we've been on 31 cruises and I've not noticed the buffet area being mostly salads. 😎

I think it depends on the ship.

Last cruise - Vista last month - I was very disappointed with the salad bar, lunch and a couple nights at dinner when we ate there.

Previous cruises - Breeze and Glory last year, we loved the salad bar options!  After eating heavy meals for dinner for the first half of the cruise, I always crave just a big salad for dinner and you can't get that in MDR.  At home that is the way we eat...I might fix a big hearty dinner one night, but then a huge salad for dinner the next night... my body likes that.  On a cruise, by day 7, I just want a salad!  

Edited by ABQrobin

I usually find that after about 3 days on a cruise, I'm always surprised when mealtime rolls around again- What do you mean it's dinner time? Didn't we just eat lunch?- and I find that I'm less hungry than at home. That doesn't stop me from eating again though!!!

This is my first cruise since I started a strict keto diet though, and while I'm going to treat myself, I don't want to completely blow my diet, so I'll be looking for some great non-starchy carbs for dinner choices. Plus we're traveling with family and my son-in-law could eat his weight in salads, so Bring on the Salad Bar!

• Like 1

I like to have a good salad too for a meal- I’ll often times stop at the deli with my salad and add a few items- miss the salmon they used to have at the deli- it was a perfect meal. 

Just returned from the Breeze and I must say that I agree that there are much more salad offerings than hot foods at nights.  The salad bar every night included: 3-4 types of lettuce/ greens, radishes, carrots, onions, cold beans, broccoli, several cheeses, ham, turkey or some other cut meat, and more.  In addition there was slaw, caesar salad, and potato salad..  These areas made up most of the buffet with one small area at the end for hot foods.  I like salad, but I would love to see some hot vegetable offerings.  These were very few.  Every night they had baked potatoes and rice.  A couple of nights they had broccoli or sauted green beans.

3 hours ago, lyannea said:

miss the salmon they used to have at the deli- it was a perfect meal. 

When did they take the salmon off the Deli menu. we had it last April on the Conquest.  

Yes, smoked salmon is on the brunch or breakfast menu in the MDR. It is no longer served in a sandwich at the deli for lunch.

The buffet has never been great for dinner!!

We generally use the MDR for dinner unless we just want a pizza or a sandwich from the deli that night.