Celebrity vs RCCL

We've become less enamoured with Celebrity and are looking at alternatives.  Here's a list of the major things in X that we find less than satisfying:

• The sub-par entertainment
  • The MDR food -not as good as it was, the repetitive menus, and serving size (seriously - the plates are often half empty for the entee.)
  • Bland, colorless interiors.  (especially since the Edgification).  No glitz.
  • The emphasis and future direction on the class system.  

We are VERY price sensitive.  We sail in the least expensive cabins and look at the TOTAL cost that gives us an alcohol package.  Since X has been running their Go Best perks,  we book an OV.  Otherwise, we're probably going to book an inside cabin.  Our TA covers gratuities on X, but I don't think that's true for other Cruise lines.  So the price of X has been the cheapest for us.  However, we're dissatisfied enough to pay slightly more for a better experience.

We do NOT enjoy sailing with lots of kids, and as seniors with joint replacement and bad aching bones, we're not going On flow rides, climbing rock walls or zip lining.  With rare exceptions, we book cruises of ten or more days.

the entertainment options on RCCL intrigue me.  But how do our other requirements stack up?

We normally cruise rccl but have done a few celebrity cruises in last couple of years. Rccl I believe has the best entertainment of any line , love the ice show which is on all voyager and larger ships. The bigger the ship the more entertainment, broadway plays etc, normally great piano bars and pubs with entertainment. 

Buffet is much nicer on celebrity, we also love suite perks on celebrity way better than rccl.

Maintenance on ships and cabins seem better on rccl , had issues on recent celebrity cruise on infinity.

With all the Points you mentioned I don´t think RCI is a better match for you. 

I haven´t been on X for years, so can´t comment much on them, though I have an upcoming cruise on X soon.

From what you say About Food, I´d say you´ll find the same on RCI. You won´t find glitz on RCI either. RCI will go towards a class distinction System as well.

RCI is very Family orientated and you will find lots of Kids. The newer mega ships might not be the best for you to maneuver either. 

I would look at Maybe Princess or HAL.

• Like 2

We've done a few X and more RCL and enjoy both but I don't think you'll find what you are looking for on RCL. 

RCL entertainment especially on the bigger ships is much better, entertainment is the weak link on X for us. I also think the newer ships are a bit more glitzy than X.

We would say the food on X is a step up from RCL, MDR only slightly so but buffet is much better on X (and I really appreciate the proper plates rather than plastic ones). 

The emphasis on the class system as you call it, is similar to X on the bigger ships, not so much on the smaller ships (but then they don't have the entertainment and glitz that you want).

There are generally lots more families with children on RCL as that's who they market to

Food: except for the truly upper tier of cruiselines, it is one of the 1st things that get cut. As for entertainment, Royal shows are far superior to other  major cruise lines. HAL can be boring and we have found the food to be very bland (maybe to not offend the older palete?).

Well, Royal own Celebrity so you're not going to get better food on Royal than it's upper tier line. I find that when you get X's go better perk with alcohol package there isn't much of a price difference to Royal when having to pay outright for their drink package. If you don't like Kids, flowriders, water slides and want better food then why choose Royal? Sure,  you may get better entertainment and Glitz on Royal but what else are you really gaining over X if you're not into the other stuff. I will admit that X's pricing is jumping with their new "sail your way" pricing .......  

We recently jumped ship (no pun intended) from Celebrity after 20+ cruises with 200+ days at sea. We found Celebrity has gone downhill in all aspects but the pricing is sky rocketing, it's more for less. We are seniors and retired so have found out we want more to do. We enjoy the Oasis class ships because there is more to see and do, especially people watching, such as flow rider and the Boardwalk, Promenade, and Central Park. With the "free" drink package, Celebrity has turned into a booze cruise with a sports bar atmosphere especially in the MDR. We see the line of regression being Celebrity, Holland America, and the old folks home.

We have also tried MSC and like that too, but for different reasons.

Try Carnival. Lots of glitz, cheap drink package, lots of entertainment, save enough on the fare to buy a few specialty restaurant visits. As a friend who loves Carnival says... Only travel the newest ships and the longer itineraries. 

I'm partial to X but with the increase in prices I think RCI is where we will stay for the time being. The Oasis class ships have a lot to do but are crowded most of the time. The Freedom class doesn't seem as crowded and has nearly as much to do. Our recent Freedom class cruise was much more enjoyable than our recent Oasis class cruise. The food and service was better on the FC and it wasn't as crowded.  Of course itinerary and time of the year has a lot to do with that.

Edited by mac66

My opinion for what it is worth. 70 cruises on 26 different ships. Royal hands down for the better food. Granted they own celebrity but the food is not even close. Stay off of the EDGE. Now can cost for an OV over $250 pp + tax and port. Not worth half the price. We do like Celebrity and Princess if we want to cruise when school is out. Otherwise Royal and Carnival for Halloween. The Oasis class ships are excellent. Even though there are so many cruisers on the ships. It never really get crowded more than any other ship. So much different and delirious food at the buffet. Dinning rooms are about the same as there other ships. I must agree with others. Royal for the very best in food. 

7 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

We've become less enamoured with Celebrity and are looking at alternatives.  Here's a list of the major things in X that we find less than satisfying:

• The MDR food -not as good as it was, the repetitive menus, and serving size (seriously - the plates are often half empty for the entee.)

We are VERY price sensitive.  We sail in the least expensive cabins and look at the TOTAL cost that gives us an alcohol package.  Since X has been running their Go Best perks,  we book an OV.  Otherwise, we're probably going to book an inside cabin.  Our TA covers gratuities on X, but I don't think that's true for other Cruise lines.  So the price of X has been the cheapest for us.  However, we're dissatisfied enough to pay slightly more for a better experience.

We do NOT enjoy sailing with lots of kids, and as seniors with joint replacement and bad aching bones, we're not going On flow rides, climbing rock walls or zip lining.  With rare exceptions, we book cruises of ten or more days.

the entertainment options on RCCL intrigue me.  But how do our other requirements stack up?

You could also look at Azamara, owned by RC.  Smaller ships(680 pax), no kids, flow rides, but cost more than RC or X.  Service is outstanding and food in MDR very good..  Loyalty status transfers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

Do it. We sail both lines because we like their differences. It's good to change it up now and then.

11 hours ago, George C said:

We normally cruise rccl but have done a few celebrity cruises in last couple of years. Rccl I believe has the best entertainment of any line , love the ice show which is on all voyager and larger ships. The bigger the ship the more entertainment, broadway plays etc, normally great piano bars and pubs with entertainment. 

Buffet is much nicer on celebrity, we also love suite perks on celebrity way better than rccl.

Maintenance on ships and cabins seem better on rccl , had issues on recent celebrity cruise on infinity.

there are no ice shows on Quantum class ships

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

My opinion for what it is worth. 70 cruises on 26 different ships. Royal hands down for the better food. Granted they own celebrity...

Royal does not own Celebrity

RCCL (the parent company) owns both Celebrity and RCI (the cruise line) as well as Azamara and Silversea

We are just back from our cruise on Celebrity Edge, after 20 some cruises on Royal. We enjoyed our cruise, but agree that the entertainment was less than we expected. While we are pretty easy to please, we did not find a big difference in overall food quality between Royal and Celebrity, but enjoyed having a few different choices on the buffet on Edge.

The Edge is beautiful, but very beige! Gorgeous chandeliers, pretty dining rooms, but not much color.

We felt we got a pretty good price, but even with the perks, Royal is usually a better deal for us. We've already booked Harmony for September.

We noticed that Edge is very focused on delivering extra perks to suite guests; we find we would rather cruise a few extra times during the year in a less expensive cabin. I do know that Royal has areas for suite guests as well, but I don't feel the class distinction as much on Royal.

We usually cruise in January, late April or early May, and September. We find there are fewer families and better prices.

We are what I would generously call "late middle age", but we don't find the big ships to be too much walking unless we're stuck in a cabin that is very far aft or forward; I try to select a cabin near the forward elevators. We usually eat breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer, so it's a little less walking when we're near the forward elevators on Oasis class.

Some people really love smaller ships, but we are fans of Oasis class for the great choices in entertainment, public areas and food venues. I would say try Royal..you may become loyal, too!

Barb

15 hours ago, Tom47 said:

You could also look at Azamara, owned by RC.  Smaller ships(680 pax), no kids, flow rides, but cost more than RC or X.  Service is outstanding and food in MDR very good..  Loyalty status transfers.

As stated in my OP, we are VERY price sensitive.

Any rough guesstimate of what the percentage of higher cost might be?  The few times I've looked at Azmara, the cost was at least 25% higher, when the alcohol package and gratuities were included.

(Loyalty status is a non-issue.  In fact, it annoys us that the Celebrity's program isn't loyalty based.  It's dollars spent based.)

25% sounds right , but cost varies with sales, how popular the itinerary is.  Lowest prices are 18-24 months out. Also next cruise loyalty discount is more generous than most cruise lines(up to 10%).

We like itineraries with less visited ports-more important than entertainment.

Edited by Tom47

2 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

As stated in my OP, we are VERY price sensitive.

Any rough guesstimate of what the percentage of higher cost might be?  The few times I've looked at Azmara, the cost was at least 25% higher, when the alcohol package and gratuities were included.

(Loyalty status is a non-issue.  In fact, it annoys us that the Celebrity's program isn't loyalty based.  It's dollars spent based.)

Also see my X/Azamara comparison.