Nieuw Amsterdam accident

11 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Piet Heyn, from Delfshaven, very close to Den Haag was better...

Piet's name was short, but he did take the silver fleet from the Spaniards, I've got to give you that

Related image

Image result for Piet Hein Silver Fleet

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Appreciate it! Is Oostie safely docked behind you now?

Yes.  All safely docked.  Appears from up here cleanup is in progress.

i have a feeling we may not be sailed by on time today.

They are taking in transit into Customs at 09:50. Don’t even want to leave and face the crowds later with Bliss at the terminal

Edited by frankc98376

Just announced departure delay of an hour or so.  Aft navigation light was destroyed.  Couldn’t weld new one on while bunkering

Evidently our little sister’s new name is Oopsterdam

Edited by frankc98376
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Despegue said:

That is because the wing obviously is a critical flight surface. As a result, there needs to be a thorough inspection, and in most cases, a check must be done to insure that the structural integrity was not weakened. 

If a ground equipment dents the fuselage, there are protocols and allowances and sometimes, your flight will go ahead.

The cruise industry also has Safety as absolute priority number one. 

in this case of Oostie and NA, no critical surface or equipment seems affected, the ship can sail when cleared by the relevant authorities.

Five, ten years ago I had more faith in cruise line safety standards.  

But I hope you are correct. 

9 hours ago, frankc98376 said:

Thanks for the pictures Canadianbear.  Can really see much from the Seaview.

Was great seeing you again!!  Now the big question is when will we sail. We don't care- no such thing as a bad day on a ship

According to cruise mapper both ships are now at sea.😀

Edited by RoyalVisit
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RoyalVisit said:

According to cruise mapper both ships are now at sea.😀

Yup, Oosterdam in the Strait of Georgia headed for Seattle and Nieuw Amsterdam heading for Juneau

• Like 2

Watching that video, it’s hard to tell what exactly happened. I almost wonder if the Oosterdam had a hiccup when activating a thruster.

Glad damage is minimal - they prob have new railings and glass up within 24 hours.

"This is the Captain speaking.  All guests will immediately evacuate the stern of the ship," is NOT the wake-up call this Chardonnay Sister wanted to hear this morning!

But, as others have said, the evacuation was called off almost before it began and since the Elite Beverage Package had already expired last night, I'll still give the cruise high marks.  (Tongue firmly in cheek and all best wishes to those who were/are affected.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, diann744 said:

"This is the Captain speaking.  All guests will immediately evacuate the stern of the ship," is NOT the wake-up call this Chardonnay Sister wanted to hear this morning!

But, as others have said, the evacuation was called off almost before it began and since the Elite Beverage Package had already expired last night, I'll still give the cruise high marks.  (Tongue firmly in cheek and all best wishes to those who were/are affected.)

Well, I tried to get a mimosa in the Pinnacle this morning after the announcement but couldn’t-imagine how I felt 😂

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, frankc98376 said:

On NA now.  Oosterdam hit our stern this morning while she was docking.

All appear to be OK.  Looks like damage is mostly deck 4 verandas

Will post more as we hear updates.  I have a feeling we may be late sailing for Alaska today

This was on the Canadian CTV news last night and it also showed a few photos.  Glad it wasn't too bad.

13 hours ago, Despegue said:

An Accident in Maritime and Aviation terms is when there is a loss of life or a serious damage to the vessel/aircraft.

This unfortunate event is classed as an incident.

Accident immediately invokes images of fatalities etc. This is clearly not the case and thus I asked to not make this event sound worse than it is.

no sarcasm, here, I would not even know what is sarcastic about calling this an incident?

I am also a pilot and my first reaction to the initial description was also incident, not accident.  I know that you are European and don't know who your governing body is, but if this had involved aircraft here in the USA the NTSB would unquestionably have classified it as an incident.

14 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Wouldn't that be her younger cousin (or something else)? Since the NA is not a Vista Class. 😉😄

🙂  I was going to post about this incident/accident and my subject line was going to be "Kissing Cousins: Oostie and NA"  🙂

(Of course when I got to CC this thread was well underway so my cute subject line was wasted LOL)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moriah said:

🙂  I was going to post about this incident/accident and my subject line was going to be "Kissing Cousins: Oostie and NA"  🙂

(Of course when I got to CC this thread was well underway so my cute subject line was wasted LOL)

That would be if they kissed eachothers bow ( front).

unfortunately, they “kissed” eachothers stern, which is their behind...🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Despegue said:

That would be if they kissed eachothers bow ( front).

unfortunately, they “kissed” eachothers stern, which is their behind...

Could you call that dancing "cheek to cheek" ?

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3