Tender Question

clegg999

No, on HAL, the last tender is 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure. That being said, if they determine a passenger has not returned, they may wait a little bit, with everything taken apart and mostly stored. All depends on the schedule, and the Captain has the final word.

I have not cruised for a while.  I vaguely remember that if you sail at 5:00 pm, then you need to be on board maybe an hour prior to that?  Can anyone confirm?  Then when would the last tender be?  Thank you so much for your help.

4 minutes ago, clegg999 said:

I have not cruised for a while.  I vaguely remember that if you sail at 5:00 pm, then you need to be on board maybe an hour prior to that?  Can anyone confirm?  Then when would the last tender be?  Thank you so much for your help.

You do not necessarily need to be onboard by a fixed time. Just as long as it is prior to the gangway being pulled or the last tender being hoisted back up.

The fairly standard convention is that "all aboard" time is posted as 30 minutes prior to scheduled sailaway for docked ports, and 60 minutes for tender ports. As long as you are in line at the gangway or tender landing within those parameters you will be fine.

The "All Aboard" command is to give notice to the crew to be ready at their stations for sailaway procedures, NOT a deadline for all souls to physically be on the ship. 

Just now, Bizmark'sMom said:

They will tender until that back on board time. It's usually half an hour before sail away. 

I have been on numerous cruises where the queue for the tenders at "all aboard" time was 90 minutes or longer, thanks to all the ship's tour buses returning simultaneously. The above seems to suggest that tendering operations will abruptly cease at the given time even if passengers who correctly followed the guidelines are still waiting, leaving them stranded in port.

3 hours ago, clegg999 said:

We will be tendering in Flam on June 7th on Nieuw Statendam from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.  How can I find out what time the last tender leaves from Flam?  Thank you.

Times will be listed in your When & Where. 

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Times will be listed in your When & Where. 

Thank you so much for your response.  Where do I find "When and Where" info.  Is this different than "Itinerary".

35 minutes ago, clegg999 said:

Being on board an hour before you sail from a port stop is not standard on HAL. As mentioned here, and on your other thread, it is 30 minutes prior to sailing on HAL.

If you are talking about the port where your cruise starts, HAL usually requires you be onboard 90 minutes prior to scheduled sailing.

Just now, clegg999 said:

Thank you so much for your response.  Where do I find "When and Where" info.  Is this different than "Itinerary".

The daily ship's schedule you receieve on board will tell you the times to meet.

22 minutes ago, clegg999 said:

It's  the name of Hollands daily. You will receive a new copy each evening in your stateroom fpor the next day. Full of great info for your cruise/itinerary. 

Edited by davekathy

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The daily ship's schedule you receieve on board will tell you the times to meet.

And last tender time will be posted as you exit the ship.

If you are booking with an experienced, reputable excursion company they will have the port's ships schedule and will also know that it is subject to change.  It is in their own best interests to get you back to the tender in time because if they don't they won't stay in business very long!  When you meet your tour in the morning the first thing that should be discussed is the return time - especially if it has changed (and we have been on cruises where this has happened) since the itinerary and ships schedules were published.

12 hours ago, clegg999 said:

Thanks.  Was hoping to find out now so I can book a diy excursion.

Even if you had that info now, it is subject to change. Tides, other ship traffic, weather... all can affect how long you will be in port, and if you are able to make that port stop at all.

Most tour companies know this, and will adjust their own itineraries to match the ship. When I rent a car, walk, or take public transportation to do my own thing, I keep the due-back time firmly in mind.

14 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I didn't think it necessary to add "they won't leave a huge line up of people at the pier."

Per above ..... Being in line to get on the tender is the important thing.  

You won't be left if you're in line.  :classic_wink:

6 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Per above ..... Being in line to get on the tender is the important thing.  

You won't be left if you're in line.  :classic_wink:

Agreed, they will get more tenders back quickly to get those passengers on.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 5:15 PM, clegg999 said:

We will be tendering in Flam on June 7th on Nieuw Statendam from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.  How can I find out what time the last tender leaves from Flam?  Thank you.

Counting on a 4:00 p.m. tender is safe. Assuming a 4:30 last tender is realistic.