Bad experience on Allure

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

I like rewriting complaints in my mind to sound what I think is more reasonable, incorporating people's responses. And, so, I decided to actually try one:

"We recently cruised on the Allure and ended up in a Boardwalk cabin due to a booking issue. The cruise was fine until the last night, when we were told there would be a crew party in the BW from 8 until 12. We wanted to get to sleep earlier than midnite, but the party was extremely loud when we got to our cabin at 9:30. We complained to GS about the noise and then had to go back again because they clearly didn't do anything--it still felt like a brush off. But the party ended early at 11, and one person hollered from the stage that it was over early because of a passenger complaint, so maybe they listened to the second one.

"We get that it is fair for the crew to have a party, but we think that they could have at least tried to lower the noise volume earlier after our first complaint (and maybe not have needed to end the party). It was the last night, and we (like many others) needed to get up early to disembark.

"1. Does anyone think it was horrible for us to complain about the really loud music preventing us from sleeping?

"2. Has anyone else ever been disturbed by a crew party in a public venue? It seemed really weird to us."

My boring writing style aside, @ShillyShally, would you agree that a post like this is much more likely to be received with open minds and to elicit thoughtful replies?

Who said it was the last night?

2 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I like rewriting complaints in my mind to sound what I think is more reasonable, incorporating people's responses. And, so, I decided to actually try one:

"We recently cruised on the Allure and ended up in a Boardwalk cabin due to a booking issue. The cruise was fine until the last night, when we were told there would be a crew party in the BW from 8 until 12. We wanted to get to sleep earlier than midnite, but the party was extremely loud when we got to our cabin at 9:30. We complained to GS about the noise and then had to go back again because they clearly didn't do anything--it still felt like a brush off. But the party ended early at 11, and one person hollered from the stage that it was over early because of a passenger complaint, so maybe they listened to the second one.

"We get that it is fair for the crew to have a party, but we think that they could have at least tried to lower the noise volume earlier after our first complaint (and maybe not have needed to end the party). It was the last night, and we (like many others) needed to get up early to disembark.

"1. Does anyone think it was horrible for us to complain about the really loud music preventing us from sleeping?

"2. Has anyone else ever been disturbed by a crew party in a public venue? It seemed really weird to us."

My boring writing style aside, @ShillyShally, would you agree that a post like this is much more likely to be received with open minds and to elicit thoughtful replies?

No, I don't agree this would receive more thoughtful replies.  I actually find your rewriting to come off as even more obnoxious!

What I get from the rewrite is "I made a complaint, I'm important, a thousand crew members need MY permission in order to hold a party, I'm really that important, you know.  They need to listen to my complaints and do everything I say no matter what. And if they don't, I'll complain on the internet about their lack of understanding just how important I am."

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

@time4u2go I explained the mistake a few posts ago (95), but if you missed it, it came from a misread of the phrase "last night" in the OP. Others misread it, too (62; 87), and that reinforced my own. 

Understood.  Thank you for clarifying!

• Thanks 1

They were given advance notice that this was going to be happening.  It might have been worth it to stay out a little later so the crew could get their well-deserved reward or, better yet, go join the festivities!

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 8:04 AM, hannahsnana said:

We are currently sailing on Allure. This cruise was booked after the cancellation of our Oasis cruise, after which we booked a boardwalk balcony cabin on Allure as choices were limited. Everything was going OK with a few minor problems until last night. They had informed guests they were rewarding crew members for a 99% rating on their last inspection by allowing them access to the Boardwalk from 8:00 til 12:00 last night. That seemed OK to us until we returned to our cabin at 9:30 after dinner and a show. The noise from the Boardwalk with the door closed was unbearable to even sit and watch tv, much less go to sleep. There was a reggae band blasting music and a person singing, yelling , and more from the crowd. After dealing with it for a while, I called guest services and they said they’d send security to our room! What? My husband went down to guests services at 10:30 to complain again. They took his complaint and said it would stop at 11:00, which it did. If we had been outside in the hall making such noise , I’m sure there would have been security there right away! Needless to say, I am not happy with the situation that unfolded and are going to request compensation for several hours of interrupted calm in my cabin, much less the lack of sleep. By the way, when they did shut it down , the singer yelled out somebody closed them down! Yes, a paying guest!

Ugh, frustrating!

2 hours ago, zoepipes said:

They were given advance notice that this was going to be happening.  It might have been worth it to stay out a little later so the crew could get their well-deserved reward or, better yet, go join the festivities!

I was on this cruise, they didn't give a 24 hour notice for the crew party and it was off limits to passengers so we couldn't join unfortunately because it looked like they were having fun!  I had a boardwalk balcony that overlooked the party so we people watched a little bit.  It was definitely an open bar and the crew were having lots of fun!  It was loud but it didn't really bother me and my family.  My kids thought it was cool to see the cast of mamma mia partying it up and enjoyed listening to the music!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I guess I was part of the problem, we sailed the Allure May 5th.  and had such an awesome time we rated the survey all 10s.

I am reading here on CC, that others did also.

Not a generalization, but verified by that party given to the crew.

I did encounter some issues on this cruise, like not getting our luggage valet suitcase tags till 9:55pm. and they were supposed to be on bags, and bags in hall at 10pm.  Just ruffled my feathers a little, but all is good, the response and eagerness of the crew  to get this done was satisfactory to me

The couple other concerns were addressed and resolved quickly.

That is why I enjoy cruising the Allure................and doing so again in 6 weeks.

Friendly caring employees

Cheerleader............................No.

Retired , cat lover, cruiser......................

Back on Allure in 38ish days.

Take care

• Like 1

I have never heard of a crew getting rewarded by having a crew party in a guest area so I'm guessing that it's rare. I'm happy that they got to get out of their crew area to enjoy this accomplishment. Think about it. They got a 99% inspection rate on the ship that you are on. I want to be on that ship. Personally I would have gone down to thank them and to meet some of them outside of their job. To me that was a missed opportunity unless you think they should stay in their area only. Give the hard workers a break. I could never do their job nor would I want to so I'm thankful that they do it for me.

Always bring ear plugs and keep them in your luggage. Hubby always has a supply of them. He has gotten so used to sleeping with them because of his job and making sure he gets a good nights sleep when he works. They are cheap or if you are ever on a cruise with us I can give you some. 

• Like 2

What saddens me is that the letter said it would be till 12:00 and because of the complaint(s) they cut it short by an hour. Couldn't you at least wait one more hour? If I was a crew member and was expecting to be able to party till midnight I would be disappointed by that. If this ever happens again to you put yourself in their shoes and see how you would feel.

Compensation for you should be nothing and for them another party without any complaints and extra tips. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 5:19 PM, DirtyDawg said:

Sorry OP, it looks like you won't be getting much sympathy here.

I think HAL might be a better cruise line fit for you, but if RCL does offer you a free cruise for your troubles, try to see if you could book with Celebrity instead. Both lines are owed by the same parent company and Celebrity is much quieter.

Especially the Silent Disco.

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2019 at 11:17 AM, cruisegirl1976 said:

The crew works very hard.. day and night.. and are often away from their families for months at a time.. so they had some well deserved fun.. and it wasn't until 2am in the morning... it was a few hours.. not really a big deal imho.. 

This!!

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Personally I would have gone down to thank them and to meet some of them outside of their job. To me that was a missed opportunity unless you think they should stay in their area only.

Actually it was stated in a previous post that customers weren't allowed in the area.

Just now, time4u2go said:

Actually it was stated in a previous post that customers weren't allowed in the area.

I missed that. That's to bad, but maybe the crew didn't want to be bothered by passengers which I can understand.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Always bring ear plugs and keep them in your luggage. Hubby always has a supply of them. He has gotten so used to sleeping with them because of his job and making sure he gets a good nights sleep when he works. They are cheap or if you are ever on a cruise with us I can give you some. 

Pretty sure you can get them (ear plugs) for free from Guest Services, too.

(So in case Hubby ever forgets to pack his, you can still get some!)

59 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Pretty sure you can get them (ear plugs) for free from Guest Services, too.

(So in case Hubby ever forgets to pack his, you can still get some!)

Thanks for the info. He's a pilot so he always has plenty of them. It's good to know in case I cruise alone and need them even though I can sleep thru a lot. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

I've never seen or heard of a crew party in public area on a cruise ship. That seems kinda odd that the captain (or whoever) would even allow it for exactly the reason we are discussing. I can't imagine that they (the captain or whoever) would think it a good idea.

I'm not necessarily against it or that the crew doesn't deserve it but I do question the judgment in allowing it in an industry that heavily customer oriented.

Edited by mac66

Wow! I haven’t traveled on Royal in awhile because we do consider it more of a high volume cruise both in people with small children and noise levels. We are however sailing the Allure this summer for our Anniversary ❤️ it has been our experience across several cruise lines with more than 20 cruises that the crew works extremely hard and I would have no problem with them having a good time and celebrating their success. Over at 11...what is the problem exactly? We actually make it our personal policy to not even bother our Butler with any late night request and we never ask for anything before 7:00am no matter how much they offer we can do things for ourselves with no issues and love it when they get a break. Be sure and share if they compensate you in someway, I would not hold my breath. Hope you enjoyed it outside of that and another thing I do, carry earplugs...solves the problem.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, travelplus said:

Royal could have opened up a bar with free drinks on the pool deck with a DJ and open bar with snacks during another time to make up for the closure of the BW. 

The Boardwalk is usually a ghost town once the sun goes down (or even sooner).... not having access to it in the evening isn't that big of a deal that its closure needed to be "made up for".