LIVE NOW. Caribbean Princess!

BuckeyeMark

Formal night men's attire - it's been at least 5 years since we last sailed w Princess (Alaska then, CNE now) and wonder if the anytime dinner dining in the MDR or Crown Grill requires a jacket/tie as an absolute ??   I read a post from 2018 stating 'formal night' dress was boldly emphasized for both locations in the Patter and the CG turned away a patron on FN. We do clean up nice for dinner, but prefer not to take jacket, tie and are not buffet dinner fans.  Your thoughts?

9 minutes ago, LGD said:

Formal night men's attire - it's been at least 5 years since we last sailed w Princess (Alaska then, CNE now) and wonder if the anytime dinner dining in the MDR or Crown Grill requires a jacket/tie as an absolute ??   I read a post from 2018 stating 'formal night' dress was boldly emphasized for both locations in the Patter and the CG turned away a patron on FN. We do clean up nice for dinner, but prefer not to take jacket, tie and are not buffet dinner fans.  Your thoughts?

That would be outside of what I've recently witnessed/read.  Based on my on board experience in recent years they seem to be quite lax about enforcing the code in the MDR.   Polo/Khaki seems a popular compromise. 

I was under the impression that the premium dining was generally NOT subject to the dress code of the MDR.  Seems a common approach that people who wish to avoid participating in formal night take - to use formal nights for premium dining, in part to get around the formal requirement.  Your memory of such a recent post saying someone's been turned away from CG does fly directly in the face of that concept, though.  That certainly strikes me as odd, I'd be curious to see the details...having said that I don't have direct personal experience I'll be curious what others have to say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2019 at 9:52 PM, ShipsAreTheBest said:

I am on board now (and was last week).  Someone asked, so here goes:  Captain is Marco Fortezze and Maitre d’ is Francois Ferat.  Came across both a few times - both very friendly and engaging.

When we were departing Belize there was a minor issue, but it was not propulsion related.  They were having an issue getting one of the pontoon doors closed (this is the tender loading platform that folds down from the hull hydraulically).  Obviously, something so close to the waterline needs to be closed up tight before getting underway.  Anyway, it was a minor delay.  Truthfully, if the captain didn’t come on the PA to mention it, most people (myself included) wouldn’t have noticed we were late getting underway.  It was that short of a delay.  Propulsion was mentioned in that he assured us that there was enough reserve power available, if needed, to ensure an on time arrival at Cozumel even with a late departure from Belize.

A/C in my room is great (Riviera Deck (14)) all the way aft.  A week ago it was off (in our room area/zone) when we first boarded, but it was up and running before we even left Fort Lauderdale.  It feels warm and stuffy at times in the midships elevator bank/stair tower.  Whether that carries over to staterooms, I don’t know because I’m not there.  The rest of the ship is comfortable.

The Terrace Pool and area all the way aft on Deck 14 is terrible - stay away. (JUST KIDDING!). It’s very nice.  I just don’t want the secret out lol.  It took half the last cruise for people to discover it.  It is literally steps away from my cabin.  I have an inside.  With that easy access, who needs a balcony?  The pool is right there.  A few steps up to Deck 15 and there is a bar.  And easy access to Steamers/Planks/World Fresh Marketplace.  Have had breakfast al fresco every day except for today in Fort Lauderdale because of the rain.

That’s it for now.  Looking forward to week 2!

Ships, a question about the Deck 14 staterooms:  Can you hear noise or smell food from the buffet above?  This will be our first time on CP and before booking an aft stateroom we want to be sure there are no distractions above us.  Thanks.

9 hours ago, LGD said:

Leave the jacket, tie, etc. AT HOME!

There are countless threads here discussing MDR attire. Both “smart casual” nights and “formal” nights. Read up and choose a side. 

I’m a member of the Dress Code = Dress Suggestion camp. 

For goodness sake, enjoy your cruise. Be Comfortable, whatever a given night may be designated. 

There are those who may disingenuously offer the view that “this is their vacation” and at the end of the day, that statement is absolutely spot on!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BizDoc said:

Ships, a question about the Deck 14 staterooms:  Can you hear noise or smell food from the buffet above?  This will be our first time on CP and before booking an aft stateroom we want to be sure there are no distractions above us.  Thanks.

On the "CB"  (CP would be Sea Princess) we book cabins in the 700's on deck 14. 

We like the location close to the aft doors to the aft pool area and then 1 deck up outside to the buffet.

We have never smelled food in these cabins. We stay on the 700's (mostly carpeted above) because as you get further forward there is a possibility of no carpet and chair dragging etc from above.

10 hours ago, LGD said:

Not required.   😉

8 hours ago, BizDoc said:

Not at all.  Quiet and no food odors.  I’m all the way aft in the 700s.  I’m not going to lie though - there will be some motion - this far back and you’re almost over the propellers.  It’s a gentle sway.  There can be vibration when the thrusters are operating, but that’s only entering/leaving port and sometimes while at anchor.

On 6/30/2019 at 4:40 PM, In Toronto said:

ShipsAreTheBest - thanks for all the info.  Our cabin is  about 8 cabins from the aft on 14.  Looking forward to the location but slightly concerned about vibrations.  Anything?

There is some vibration back here.  A little bit of a “shimmy”.  I’m lying in bed typing this now and I can feel it.  It’s not unbearable (to me) - reminds me that I’m on a ship.  You will feel thrusters when they operate (only when docking or undocking and sometimes at anchor)

Well, I have to say that I am just a little concerned re vibration.  I really liked the location of our cabin for the same reasons most do.  But, do I want to "shake', even slightly, for 2 weeks??????  Dear me!  Not sure what to do.  Seems that most of the talk re vibration is in the past few weeks.  If we stay in this aft area cabin, I will report back but our cruise isn't for a few months yet.  Thanks for the info.

I am really surprised to read that there are still issues with propulsion and vibration on the CB. We were onboard in January 2019 and had to change our dining location based on those issues. After one dinner in the aft dining room, we insisted on moving to mid-ship. I could not imagine having a cabin back in that area on that ship with those issues. 

I assumed the major rehab done in April would address the problem. 

On 5/22/2019 at 4:26 PM, BuckeyeMark said:

So back on the boat after the day in Saint Martin. Marvelous excursion with the helmet diving people. That is not to be missed and is amazing. Then we headed over to Maho Beach and saw the airplanes land on our heads.  Pretty incredible.   Wanted to stay in Seymour but was worried about traffic getting back because the airport is a long way from the boat. We get Troy Threadgill as a comedian tonight.  I’ll be off the next two days (sea days) and then Miami on Saturday.   See you then. 

I hate to be a pain it’s a ship not a boat, officers very offended by that word  

22 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Leave the jacket, tie, etc. AT HOME!

There are countless threads here discussing MDR attire. Both “smart casual” nights and “formal” nights. Read up and choose a side. 

I’m a member of the Dress Code = Dress Suggestion camp. 

For goodness sake, enjoy your cruise. Be Comfortable, whatever a given night may be designated. 

There are those who may disingenuously offer the view that “this is their vacation” and at the end of the day, that statement is absolutely spot on!!

I pack a bow-tie because Bow-ties are cool.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, smeck said:

I doubt that cruise ship officers are "offended" by that term, more like bemused.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, smeck said:

That's right, I have quite a few Navy friends and they stated it simply to me many years ago. 

"A Boat is something that a Ship can hoist onboard/offboard and is used to take people from ship to shore or back." They only exception to this is a submarine, which has always been called a boat for some ancient hoary tradition. 

1 hour ago, Ep010835 said:

After all, it is his cruise and he deserves to enjoy it!! 👍🏻😃

Yes he can and I can snicker if I want to. I haven seen to many of those except for the oldie movies on TV

A bow tie. LOL 

Enjoy.

image.jpeg.f488d978f4108765a3c563966180c585.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, villauk said:

VA you’ll get on really well with our youngest DS on our August cruise; he has a selection of bow ties and he’s even started a trend at school: ‘Bow Tie Friday’ 😎!

Just picked up this one for next month ....

Image result for guitar bow tie

• Like 2

I cannot imagine any woman ever suggesting that Ducky/Dr. Mallard and his bow ties are anything but absolutely debonair. 

He is a hard example to measure up to but CCers are the most likely to fill the bill. 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruiserdru said:

I cannot imagine any woman ever suggesting that Ducky/Dr. Mallard and his bow ties are anything but absolutely debonair. 

He is a hard example to measure up to but CCers are the most likely to fill the bill. 😁

well apparently there's one and her measuring stick is broken.

Image result for laughing emoji gif

Edited by c-boy

17 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

I pack a bow-tie because Bow-ties are cool.

why do you really wear a bow-tie ?

1) - I would get banned if I wrote what I really think here ...

2) It makes you feel better about yourself aka more confident aka self-esteem

3) Your 'other' thinks you look great in it

4) conversation starter

some people can pull it off, others, well, not so much ...

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, voljeep said:

why do you really wear a bow-tie ?

1) - I would get banned if I wrote what I really think here ...

2) It makes you feel better about yourself aka more confident aka self-esteem

3) Your 'other' thinks you look great in it

4) conversation starter

some people can pull it off, others, well, not so much ...

Be comfortable. Whatever your choice of attire. 

It IS your cruise!!! 😃👍🏻

Edited by Ep010835
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1