Office Trip - Have I lost my mind?

Elsisi

Some of my co-workers want me to plan a cruise for all of us.  Most have cruised before, but I have the most experience (12 cruises down, with 13th in November).  I looked at the dates they wanted and gave them a general idea of the cost per person … and then the complaints started.  This one will only cruise in a balcony/suite, another can't be on the lowest floor, another wants to cruise out of NOLA instead of Mobile (we are about equidistant from both ports) so we can park at her son's and not have to pay parking fees, etc.  It gives me a headache just thinking about it!

Have I lost my mind or should I just tell them to forget it?

• Haha 1

The one time I booked a group, I made all the big decisions about which line, and ship.  They choose if they wanted to go or not.  So I said something like, we are going on the miracle Feb 15th.  Book or call this travel agent if you want to come.  Take it or leave it.  And they booked the type of cabin they wanted.  They booked excursions based on what they wanted to do, but we did eat together each night by linking our bookings.  It was pretty simple and everyone was happy.

• Like 2

I wouldn't touch that with a 10' pole! Engage a travel agent. I also would NEVER (I try to avoid always and never but...) travel for pleasure with a group of co-workers. I have one or two women with whom I MIGHT consider traveling. However, separate rooms. Any hard feelings from the trip could easily cause a difficult working environment.

• Like 4

Good luck!!  What I would do:  Help choose a cruise and port based on what the majority would like.  I would also print out prices for the specific cabin types, along with other options for that cruise.

What I would not do:  Book anything for them.  I would leave it up to them to pair up and choose specific cabins and other options.  I would have no issue providing information, but I would not want to do anything additional because that would backfire.  Again, good luck!  It actually sounds like a lot of fun.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Elsisi said:

Some of my co-workers want me to plan a cruise for all of us.  Most have cruised before, but I have the most experience (12 cruises down, with 13th in November).  I looked at the dates they wanted and gave them a general idea of the cost per person … and then the complaints started.  This one will only cruise in a balcony/suite, another can't be on the lowest floor, another wants to cruise out of NOLA instead of Mobile (we are about equidistant from both ports) so we can park at her son's and not have to pay parking fees, etc.  It gives me a headache just thinking about it!

Have I lost my mind or should I just tell them to forget it?

I have so many people that always say they want to go on cruises with me....I wont plan around them though.   I book what I want and when I want, then I put the information out there saying what the ship and dates are along with my PVP info---if they want to book, they can...if not..oh well.   They can book whatever type of room they want on that cruise with the PVP.

You could pick a port and a couple of dates for the group to vote on...then pick the most popular and go from there.   Everyone books their own room on that one you choose. 

One other thing...can you all get off work at the same time?  It wont be an issue with your work?

I would never jeopardize my sanity and vacation for a group vacation.   You cant please everyone and you will be miserable trying to do it.

Edited by bingomamma19

Being the planner for any group trip is challenging! We usually travel in a big group, but it's typically us (my family) deciding what we want to do, booking our cruise and then putting the invite out to anyone who wants to join us. Everyone books themselves - but I am happy to provide our PVP's contact info if they want to book thru her and everyone chooses their cabin type and location (though many choose to book near us just for convenience). If people want to link their booking to ours for dining purposes - GREAT! If not, that's ok too. 

I will also usually do alot of research and planning on activities like dining options for ports or excursions. But again, everyone is welcome to join us or do their own thing. We keep it flexible! 

The one time I was trying to coordinate a family cruise with ALL of my siblings (there are five of us) it was a nightmare trying to pin down a date. My one sis works in finance and cannot travel the first week of any month as it's her month end close time, my brother and his wife wanted to try to go during their son's college fall break and also had a conflict for the next month, my other sister works in hospitality and depends on tips so she tries to work the busy periods which limited her. And then myself and my last sis were pretty flexible. I finally just picked two options and let the group vote and majority won out. Unfortunately, my brother and his family couldn't join us but it worked for the rest of the group! But it was EXHAUSTING! lol 

Good luck to you! 

I used to organize the annual ski trip for our group of friends and co-workers.  It was usually around 15 people.  I picked the resort.  I put out a list and people put down best weeks for them.  Majority ruled.  I found accommodations and booked flights, and rental cars or shuttles.  Maybe I had an easy group of friends./co-workers as we never had an issue.   But, a cruise could be more difficult just from the cabin types.    I'd maybe go to picking the date and port and then anyone who wanted to go could get more info from you.  Majority has to rule!!

I toyed with the idea, but nope. Even if you make the TA the point person, YOU are still going to be looked at as the leader. As others have said, for me, traveling with coworkers is a no-no. If you are fine traveling with coworkers, pick the best cruise for you and then let them know.

I am cruising later this year with a group of 30 with whom we have traveled in different iterations in the past.  How we work it, is that the initial proposer will generally offer basic plans and a date or two.  Others can then jump in as desired.  Once the final date is set it is up to each couple or individual to book their own cabins/ hotel rooms.  We do some activities together, others apart but try to meet together pre dinner for a social hour and to arrange various plans for the next day or two .  When I arranged bus transportation for 40+ on a trip to PV I laid out cost in advance and slowly but surely collected the funds.  Do not let the crowd make you responsible for everything and do not front all of the costs for anything.

I’ve arranged for a group a couple of times - but limited it to coming up with a few options which I presented for a vote, then selected the most popular, obtained booking options/pricing and details, then advised who each member should call to book his/her own reservations.  There is no way I would carry the load of making the bookings or, in any way, advance my own funds for anyone else.

In any group of a dozen or so, there is bound to be one or more who either does not like the way you did things or drops out part way through and doesn’t expect to lose a nickel.

The same applies in as simple a matter as booking a van for the transfer from Rome to CV - there is always someone who plays  by his own rules.

Bad idea.  Get a travel agent who will handle their bookings AND complaints.  Take yourself OUT of it.  Let new folks learn about cruising ON THEIR OWN. The more you tell them, the worse time they will have.

I don't ever, ever foresee taking a trip with my work/office.....Christmas party is more than enough time to spend as a group!  We are together all day, and everyone does their job wonderfully, but we are not a "group" of buddies.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

or drops out part way through and doesn’t expect to lose a nickel.

That's just unrealistic, basic expectations need to be set before anyone pays anything.  Everyone in the group needs to understand the "rules" of cruise bookings and what their responsibility is if they decide to cancel.  In no way should it be up to the group to shoulder any financial responsibility for one person canceling their room once penalties set in.

Opening line in the first meeting - "Before we book ANYTHING - if you book a room and then decide to back out YOU bear the financial responsibility for the cancellation of your room, not the rest of the group".  If there's a group discount based on the number of rooms booked and that cancellation drops the group below the threshold that just opens a whole other can of worms...

I've done something similar with a group of family and friends (24 in all).  What we did was decide when and where we wanted to go, then I made our (DH and my) booking.  Once that was done, I gave everyone the information and the name of our travel agent and phone number, and it was up to them to do the rest.  We did manage to get everyone on the same flights, but a couple of them had to make arrangements to stay at a different hotel.

One thing you should make clear at the outset:  you are NOT in charge of the group, and nobody's joined at the hip.  That way, you aren't held responsible for someone not having the best time.  It is everyone's vacation, and just because you went as a group, you don't have to stay that way.   Good luck to you.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

When I was working, the thought of spending off work hours with my coworkers and especially stuck together on a ship would have caused me to throw myself off a bridge.  My suggestion to you would be to get out of this ridiculous idea while you still can.  To quote Monte Python - 

If you can't get away with not doing this, just pick a date and a cruise w/o consulting anyone.  Book it with a TA.  Then give the rest of your office the phone number of the TA and tell them to call the TA to make arrangements and not to bother you with any questions, complaints or suggestions.  After everyone books through the TA, cancel your own booking so that you are not stuck w vacationing w your coworkers.

I would also go to your HR department and ask them if this assignment is part of your job description.

I feel sorry for you.

DON

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, wheezedr said:

I am cruising later this year with a group of 30 with whom we have traveled in different iterations in the past.  How we work it, is that the initial proposer will generally offer basic plans and a date or two.  Others can then jump in as desired.  Once the final date is set it is up to each couple or individual to book their own cabins/ hotel rooms.  We do some activities together, others apart but try to meet together pre dinner for a social hour and to arrange various plans for the next day or two .  When I arranged bus transportation for 40+ on a trip to PV I laid out cost in advance and slowly but surely collected the funds.  Do not let the crowd make you responsible for everything and do not front all of the costs for anything.

I would not have laid out any bus money UNTIL I had all the funds or unless the bus reservation was cancellable by me with no loss of monies.

DON

15 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I would not have laid out any bus money UNTIL I had all the funds or unless the bus reservation was cancellable by me with no loss of monies.

DON

What I said was that I laid out the cost and slowly collected the money.  I did not say I paid the money in advance. Reread the sentence.a

Edited by wheezedr
Addition

I would not plan a cruise for co-workers.  Remember that once the cruise is over, you all return to work and have to work together.

Give them the travel agency and name of the person you will be using.  Choose the port and ship you will be sailing on.  Then they can decide if they want to go or not.  They can choose the deck and cabin they want.  They can book their own excursions either via the ship or independently.  When the cruise is over, they will only have them selves to blame if things didn't go their way.