10am return flight

dpluta

The answer is maybe.  Most of the time if you do walk-off you can make it.  We have had two cruises where we were not able to disembark until 9:30 due to Customs issues.  If that were to happen you would be out of luck.  You will get a lot of responses from people telling you how they made a flight at this time with no problem.  But stuff can happen, as it did to us.  Do you have a good back-up plan?  Remember, these days flights often fly completely full so if you miss the flight be prepared to wait, perhaps until the next day (not to mention incurring potentially a lot of $$).

6 minutes ago, dpluta said:

domestic with precheck. no valet, taking a taxi

Add keeping your luggage with you so you can do early walk off (self disembark) as soon as the ship is cleared.  

Edited by davekathy

You can make it.  Walk off as early as possible with your luggage and take a taxi.  You might very well be at the airport by 0800.  Me personally, I wouldn’t do it as there is next to zero wiggle room on this.

As far as trying to allow for delays in ship arrival, port authority activity, traffic problems and goodness knows what else may mess up your plans that’s all a bit of a mug’s game.  None or all of these things may happen and you have no idea how much cushion is enough if you start thinking that way.  Just go with the published schedule and be prepared to live with the consequences of shaving things a lttle close!

I’ve done it. Got in line for self debarkation at 6 am, was first in line. Took a cab, made it to FLL and thru security by 8:45 am. Flight left at 9:45. We also had precheck so that helped. 

Would i recommend it? Nope. Stressful. But I’m frugal and sometimes I don’t make the best choices, so I did it. Haha!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dpluta said:

domestic with precheck. no valet, taking a taxi

Pre check line is not guaranteed to be open at FLL..line moves quickly but in general it  is crowded getting through.

The lines are getting longer for self-disembarkation as more cruisers are electing to use it. Too stress full for us also to worry about trying to catch an early flight. No way to end a great cruise. But too each their own. 

Too stressful for us.  We were on Bermuda cruise on Summit out of Bayonne, NJ. We were due in around 7 am on May 19. Anthem had a med emergency and docked there one day late, on Sunday instead of Saturday.   Summit self debarkation did not start until around 10:45. I know it's a different port but stuff happens.

You could probably make it ... heck, we just disembarked in Los Angeles last month and actually could have made the 8:30 AM flight back home ... unheard of, right?  Of course, our flight wasn't until 11:30 AM and we thought we were cutting it very close.  But, that is LA so you never really know what's going to happen there.  

Now, on the other hand, our last time in FLL, our docking was delayed because someone on another ship was gravely ill so we had to dock elsewhere, everything was behind schedule after that ... domino effect and we nearly missed our 11:45 AM flight.  We didn't plan on walk off because we thought we had plenty of time ... but, we ended up having to sprint to the gate after checking our luggage and got right onto the plane.  No waiting time at the gate ... which was nice, but very stressful.  But, you could still make at 10 AM flight ... but there is a slight chance you also might miss it.  

8 hours ago, helen haywood said:

For self debarkation don’t go to the waiting area at the time listed in the program.  As others mentioned, you need to be first or close in line.  That line forms well before the posted time.

If you are cruising on EDGE..the steep ramp down means you have to be able to manage your bags carefully,  and there is a fairly long walk for the taxi line from what I recall.

With walk off,   other groups who have priority like suite guests...will go first.

It has become so crowded to do the self  disembark in FLL,  we used the regular system  last  time.  It worked well but we were not stressed  with an early flight time.

12 hours ago, hcat said:

Pre check line is not guaranteed to be open at FLL..line moves quickly but in general it  is crowded getting through.

For morning flights I would be very surprised if PreCheck was not open.  That said, it may vary from terminal to terminal.  FLL has 4 different terminals that are not currently connected, so there are 4 separate security checkpoints rather than one central one.  I fly in and out of T2 almost exclusively and have never found PreCheck closed unless it was after 6 or 7 in the evening.

8 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

For morning flights I would be very surprised if PreCheck was not open.  That said, it may vary from terminal to terminal.  FLL has 4 different terminals that are not currently connected, so there are 4 separate security checkpoints rather than one central one.  I fly in and out of T2 almost exclusively and have never found PreCheck closed unless it was after 6 or 7 in the evening.

We fly SW..it was just being opened when we arrived early at least once.  Was a madhouse  as folks tried  to.move over to that line...

As prevously stated  the line moves fairly well...if TSA staff is  available. Some times we got through very early, sometimes we stayed over an extra night avoid a stressful morning

Up to OP to decide..good luck!

Edited by hcat