Off Breeze Today May Cancel Mardi Gras (cutbacks)

Cruisegirl6

4 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Organized Chaos-  Yes, I did hear that there is a "deal" that the judge will review tomorrow, I believe it is for the board to make the CEO step down.  They have to point the finger to a person in authority to try to lessen their issue.

My main concern about loosing the money isn't about me, its for my kids and other family members, they do not want a credit to sit with Carnival as they are unsure the next Carnival cruise will be.

I had no idea of the probation they were on until two weeks ago.  I don't follow the news after the last election.

On the Elation this past February, I had no indication of the cutbacks and such or the lack of waiters/cabin stewards working harder, it was not noticeable at all.

You have a good point, the food issues could of just been that cruise.

Wesorbeth-  Its sad, how people can still support any company that does illegal/wrong doing, the reason why these companies always get away with things and keep repeating their mistakes.  Its a shame...yes, its a moral thing to me for sure.  I probably be on the Mardi Gras after all, its all about family and I don't want anybody to loose any money.

livingthedream1-  Yes, love the new changes, the app is wonderful, the steakhouse is excellent...love the coffee bar and having the Cheers program.  I also love Anytime/My time dining, think that was the best thing they came up with next to having the Cheers Package.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines has been fined multiple times for illegal dumping/pollution in the past, so I suggest you add RCCL to your list of cruise companies you will no longer support. Like you said, cruise companies like RCCL and CCL will continue this behavior if passengers continue to support these companies. 

I have been kind of worried because I hear a lot about cutbacks on Carnival.  I guess I don't consider anything that was mentioned as a cutback to be a deal breaker.   I have my first Carnival booked for Jan 2020 since 2011.  I have no problem going.

• Like 1

Most of the stuff people complain about are just petty stuff just to complain.  The chocolates were nasty and who cares about table cloths?  The shows have changed but if they didn't change people would still complain.  If the complainers dont like it, just go to another line and stop complaining.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2019 at 1:40 PM, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

We just got off the Breeze today and noticed more cutbacks since our last cruise on Carnival this past February.  Carnival has the upcoming court date which the best thing that would happen to them is only paying high penalty costs/fees, but we are hearing more things that Carnival has done that we never heard of, but perhaps others have, but it sure doesn't look good for Carnival.  

They will be needing to make up all that money, so I would think the costs for cruises will go up in price and of course Carnival would have even more cutbacks, that us the people will be paying for because of their "issues"/

We are booked as a family of 18 so far, the sailing on the Mardi Gras, October 16, 2020.  Fortunately, I have paid the insurance but my daughter and her fb and my son/daughter in law and grandkids as well as other family members,  did not, which means from what I read in our documents we loose the entire deposit and I don't want that for them.  I did think, if Carnival is  found guilty and have to pay a high amount of sum of money for their "issues", I would have no respect for Carnival and wonder if there would be another legal way to get out of the upcoming cruise and get back all of our money????  I don't want to give a company that has done so many wrongly things any business and if they are found guilty to more wrong doings, I really feel they should refund the depsit costs to us.  

Is there anybody else out there that feel the way we do, or have any doubts/concerns about their upcoming cruises after the court hearing?  

didn't you swear off CCL after your last cruise with them or am I confusing you with someone else?

I'm just guessing but you must have cancel for any reason insurance for your next cruise as stated above you'd be canceling for an invalid reason.

Do not confuse cutting down on wastage and  excess fat with cutbacks. Just because something was offered or done a certain way  in the past doesn't mean it should stay the same if there is a more efficient way to do the job at a lower cost. Carnival's business model has always been to offer 3 star cruises at 3 star price. If you want something extra, go cruise with a 4 star cruise line and pay 4 star price. The choice is yours to make.

6 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Absolutely.

Since I have you here, question, does the Breeze have a different or new improved air conditioning system?  I found out of all my Carnival cruises,  the room on the Breeze was the coldest that I ever had, real nice!!  Or was it because I booked late and only had a choice of Oceanview or cove balcony, with us choosing the cove balcony on deck 2, is it possible the room was cold due to the location of our cabin being lower?  Any truth to that?  On our other upper deck balconies we did keep the curtains always closed with the thermostat on its lowest setting and never did we have cool air, but the Breeze was actually all cool in all public rooms too.

Cruisegirl6, we were on the Breeze in February and the room temperature was definitely better than on other ships.  We had an OS on deck 7.  Even with curtains open and sun streaming in, the AC seemed to keep up.  It was nice!  We really enjoyed our Breeze cruise, but it wasn't perfect.  While we had carving stations each day and night in the buffet, the evening buffet was quite sparse.  It seems that the dinner buffets are not what they used to be.  I really used to enjoy them and have been disappointed lately as we just don't do the MDR for dinner anymore.  I respect your opinion about wanting to cancel your Mardi Gras cruise and realize that there is a monetary concern for your family.  We have 2 cruises booked on the Mardi Gras.  Did you know that it will be powered by clean burning liquid natural gas and will have many other "green" improvements?  I believe the removal of the pens, drink umbrellas, foil wrapped butter, and having to ask for straws is a way to cut down on "junk" that may make its way into the ocean.  I hope so, anyway.  We love the Oasis class RCCL ships and are on the Harmony in a few months.  Variety is the spice of life!       

• Like 1

PhillyFan-   Carnival will continue these behaviors they really need to be taught a good hard lesson, and in a way, I do hope the judge makes that happen, we shall see what happens.  RC is my most favorite cruise line so far.

Moondog73- I realize and your correct, people complain about no table clothes honestly I am for all that, shows don't mean a thing to me but if it does to others they can choose a ship or cruise line that caters more to their likings in shows.  

lllbcruzinforlife-  The Elation also had not good food in the lunch buffet but that was expected, it was an older ship and a small ship, I liked the Elation but wished there was a steakhouse.

Sfaaa- good point, and yes, the past two years I been on 5 RC ships and 2 RC cruises so I do support the cruise line that caters more to what I like and need.  The problem is that my other half just wants to drive to a port and Port Canaveral which is the nearest port for a week long cruise....our  only choices are the Breeze on Carnival or the Harmony on RC and we are currently booked on the Harmony for October and January and been on her twice before so the Breeze was our choice for something "different".

RoperDk hello- Wow you had meat carvings on the Breeze in February, that is very nice!  Unfortunately the Breeze doesn't offer that any longer.  Yes, we know the Mardi Gras is "green" now lets hope the AC is ok lol lol....but we decided to keep the cruise and see what it is all about ourselves.  Its all about being with family as I told my father in law and my other half so we will be going, I am sure the newest largest ship with a new layout/design will be a positive.  They want to compete with the other cruise lines and I believe they have any chance and hoping the Mardi Gras will be a success.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

PhillyFan-   Carnival will continue these behaviors they really need to be taught a good hard lesson, and in a way, I do hope the judge makes that happen, we shall see what happens.  RC is my most favorite cruise line so far.

Moondog73- I realize and your correct, people complain about no table clothes honestly I am for all that, shows don't mean a thing to me but if it does to others they can choose a ship or cruise line that caters more to their likings in shows.  

lllbcruzinforlife-  The Elation also had not good food in the lunch buffet but that was expected, it was an older ship and a small ship, I liked the Elation but wished there was a steakhouse.

Sfaaa- good point, and yes, the past two years I been on 5 RC ships and 2 RC cruises so I do support the cruise line that caters more to what I like and need.  The problem is that my other half just wants to drive to a port and Port Canaveral which is the nearest port for a week long cruise....our  only choices are the Breeze on Carnival or the Harmony on RC and we are currently booked on the Harmony for October and January and been on her twice before so the Breeze was our choice for something "different".

RoperDk hello- Wow you had meat carvings on the Breeze in February, that is very nice!  Unfortunately the Breeze doesn't offer that any longer.  Yes, we know the Mardi Gras is "green" now lets hope the AC is ok lol lol....but we decided to keep the cruise and see what it is all about ourselves.  Its all about being with family as I told my father in law and my other half so we will be going, I am sure the newest largest ship with a new layout/design will be a positive.  They want to compete with the other cruise lines and I believe they have any chance and hoping the Mardi Gras will be a success.

They are the largest cruise line in the world, they really do not need to change a thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

They are the largest cruise line in the world, they really do not need to change a thing.

Okay, I disagree with that statement. Carnival needs to change the way they "manage" waste! They should not be disposing of grey water wrongly.

5 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Okay, I disagree with that statement. Carnival needs to change the way they "manage" waste! They should not be disposing of grey water wrongly.

I was referring to attracting clients, the last line of the post Quoted. 

Hello,

We just got off the Breeze today and noticed more cutbacks since our last cruise on Carnival this past February.  Carnival has the upcoming court date which the best thing that would happen to them is only paying high penalty costs/fees, but we are hearing more things that Carnival has done that we never heard of, but perhaps others have, but it sure doesn't look good for Carnival.  

They will be needing to make up all that money, so I would think the costs for cruises will go up in price and of course Carnival would have even more cutbacks, that us the people will be paying for because of their "issues"/

We are booked as a family of 18 so far, the sailing on the Mardi Gras, October 16, 2020.  Fortunately, I have paid the insurance but my daughter and her fb and my son/daughter in law and grandkids as well as other family members,  did not, which means from what I read in our documents we loose the entire deposit and I don't want that for them.  I did think, if Carnival is  found guilty and have to pay a high amount of sum of money for their "issues", I would have no respect for Carnival and wonder if there would be another legal way to get out of the upcoming cruise and get back all of our money????  I don't want to give a company that has done so many wrongly things any business and if they are found guilty to more wrong doings, I really feel they should refund the depsit costs to us.  

Is there anybody else out there that feel the way we do, or have any doubts/concerns about their upcoming cruises after the court hearing?  

No, not at all. I, too, just got off the Breeze in March, and absolutely LOVED it! I have 3 more cruises booked with Carnival. I don’t know what cuts you’re talking about, because we didn’t feel there were any. I’ve been cruising since 1995, starting with a now defunct cruise line, then moving on to 5 Carnival cruises. I took several years off (2008-2013) due to health/surgical issues, returning in 2014 and 2015 with two RCCL cruises, then in 2017 and 2018, with two NCL cruises. We missed Carnival and all their fun, and returned this past March on the Breeze. We loved EVERYTHING about it, and promptly booked a B2B for April for our 50th Anniversary, and then added another cruise in February on the Glory. So excited! I guess a cruise is subjective. What bothers one person, doesn’t affect another person’s cruise at all. So sorry you feel you have to cancel your Mardi Gras cruise. That ship is going to be AWESOME! 

Jimbo

They can't compete with other cruise lines, their ships are small and older and don't have all the bells and whistles.  The Mardi Gras will allow them to compete with the RC Oasis/Quantum class ships, Princess Regal/Royal Princess as well as the newer Celebrity ships.

Grandmarnurse-  Read my review its posted now

1- they took away the meat carvings at the lunch buffet

2-  they took away assortment of muffins, English muffins and such at the breakfast buffet

3-  there is less variety/selection of hot foods in the lunch buffet

4-  everybody had extreme difficulty in getting bacon in the breakfast buffet, if your lucky to get the bacon when they had it you were only allowed two pieces if ask for more they say they only can give you two to get on the back of the line then they can give you more and the lines on sea days averaged over 20 minutes!  Too many people were talking about this ship as "no bacon ship"

5- there was only one day at the lunch buffet where they served a hot vegetable

6-  they cut items in the salad bar area

This was my 91st cruise, I been cruising since 1975 and always will.   I decided to go on the Mardi Gras because its all about being with family, and we have 3 RC cruises booked between October, 2019- April, 2020 so far,  so I am all good....but as the old saying goes any cruise is better than no cruise.  

10 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Absolutely.

Since I have you here, question, does the Breeze have a different or new improved air conditioning system?  I found out of all my Carnival cruises,  the room on the Breeze was the coldest that I ever had, real nice!!  Or was it because I booked late and only had a choice of Oceanview or cove balcony, with us choosing the cove balcony on deck 2, is it possible the room was cold due to the location of our cabin being lower?  Any truth to that?  On our other upper deck balconies we did keep the curtains always closed with the thermostat on its lowest setting and never did we have cool air, but the Breeze was actually all cool in all public rooms too.

We were on the Conquest in 2016 and our A/C was terrible. Turned down as low as it would go and still quite warm in the room. However, the people we were cruising with, who were in the cabin directly behind us, their cabin stayed very cool without having to turn the thermostat down all the way. Last year aboard the Glory, which is Conquest's sister ship, our cabin stayed very cool (downright chilly) without having to turn the thermostat down much. These were all interior cabins. You just never know what you're gonna get.

10 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Non refundable deposits do not seem to be a wise option for people who cannot afford to lose them.

We were recently on the Horizon and the buffet choices were wonderful. Carving station every time I was there. Breakfast got to be a little boring but many selections and the bacon tray was always heaping full. The server would keep giving more than I wanted.

One ship does not make a fleet.

I disagree with your first statement. People pick Early Saver rates (non-refundable deposit) based primarily on a cruise rate that they can afford. They can't afford to lose the deposit, but that's attached to the cheapest rate. It's a bit of a double-edged sword. Shoot, even if I was rich and could technically "afford" to lose hundreds of dollars in a deposit, I sure as heck wouldn't want to.

I do agree that one ship doesn't make a fleet. That's why I recommended that the OP stick with her Mardi Gras cruise and see how that goes. Incidentally, we'll be on Horizon next year. I'm a bit leery about cruising on such a large ship, I'm just not sure it's for me, but I'll make the best of it no matter what.

6 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I'm just guessing but you must have cancel for any reason insurance for your next cruise as stated above you'd be canceling for an invalid reason.

OP stated that she has Carnival's insurance. That does include Cancel For Any Reason, but it's paid out as a 75% future cruise credit.

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Jimbo

They can't compete with other cruise lines, their ships are small and older and don't have all the bells and whistles.  The Mardi Gras will allow them to compete with the RC Oasis/Quantum class ships, Princess Regal/Royal Princess as well as the newer Celebrity ships.

2-  they took away assortment of muffins, English muffins and such at the breakfast buffet

4-  everybody had extreme difficulty in getting bacon in the breakfast buffet, if your lucky to get the bacon when they had it you were only allowed two pieces if ask for more they say they only can give you two to get on the back of the line then they can give you more and the lines on sea days averaged over 20 minutes!  Too many people were talking about this ship as "no bacon ship"

This was my 91st cruise, I been cruising since 1975 and always will.   I decided to go on the Mardi Gras because its all about being with family, and we have 3 RC cruises booked between October, 2019- April, 2020 so far,  so I am all good....but as the old saying goes any cruise is better than no cruise.  

The numbers disagree with you.... more ships and more people

52 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

OP stated that she has Carnival's insurance. That does include Cancel For Any Reason, but it's paid out as a 75% future cruise credit.

What good would that do the OP though if she didn't want to cruise CCL any more?

Isn't the 75% issued in the form of a future credit and not cash?

On 6/1/2019 at 5:45 PM, FTLCruiseGal said:

The reason that you had no straws may be because they are plastic.  Walk any beach and see how many plastic straws there are.  A lot of restaurants and bars on beaches have either switched to paper straws or stopping giving them altogether.  

Dear FTLCruiseGal,

Silicone has many uses and yes Straws are one.

On 6/1/2019 at 3:28 PM, Cruisegirl6 said:

MightyMike- Exactly, Royal Caribbean is blowing away what they offer compare to what you get on Carnival.  We also very much prefer RC but realized being on the Breeze, how much we miss what RC offers and then there is the fact, why would I want to support a cruise line that keeps doing wrong/illegal actions especially when they are on probation?  Its only going to get worse, and they just be cutting back more to compensate for all they have lost/paid.  Trust me, its going to get worse and the people are the ones who will feel it.  The employees on the ship ARE worried.

Just a few items to mention:

The hot food selections in the lunch buffet were cut in half compared to what was offered last year, and they only had one meat carving which was embarkation day and never had another meat carving.

Salad bar offerings were cut in half.  I used to love their salad bar, but its so scarce now that I didn't find myself making a salad there.

Bacon in the breakfast buffet was nearly not available.  They would have somebody serving the bacon and there were only I would say 24 slices of bacon each time they placed the bacon in the pan to individually serve to the passengers.  What happened, that was only enough to serve to about 12 people, then the rest had to wait another 15 minutes for them to replace the bacon again with around 16-24 slices and the same thing kept repeating, causing huge huge long lines for breakfast.  It was the bacon that held up the lines and everybody complained, I would say we averaged 22 minutes on line to get breakfast each morning.

There is no longer assorted rolls for breakfast and no English muffins although they did have eggs Benedict that the English muffin was soggy of butter/sauce. The only bread was plain white toast and plain toasted bagel. People were complaining the pancakes/waffles were always undercooked and to get some butter they place it in a large tub so if you miss getting butter you have to get right back into that line again.

Yes, pens were taken away in the cabin and replaced with a small pencil which was fine to me.  

They took away the umbrella's for the drinks (this didn't bother me)

If you want a straw you always had to ask for one as most of the time they were not around to reach for, but we never were denied a straw, just make sure to ask for one when you order a drink.

Waiters are serving more people now, they are overworked but do the best job they can.

Cabin Stewards are working harder as there are fewer now.  This must be the reason why we are asked whether we want am/pm service but was offered both which we had.

Pizza crust was so think now that when you pick up a slice it literally bend over and the cheese run off of it.

Okay, a few poins on your list of "cutbacks " Beacon has been done this way for at least 3 years now, and they started having it served to you cause they were putting it out and by the third person in line it was gone . The choice of cabin service has been going on 5 years now . So your claim that they are cutbacks in the last year does not hold water.   As for the pizza, that becomes a personal issue, as in New York City if you can hold a slice with one hang they don't think of it as pizza.It might not be as thick as you are acoustomed to but that dose not make it a cutback.

Very interesting.  If you wanted to convince me that I should fire them as my cruise company you failed.  Now as for RCL I fired them 20 cruises ago.  Every cruise I have been on with Carnival has not been perfect but everyone was fun.  I am jumping onto the Sunrise on monday and I am greatly looking forward to it.  

18 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines has been fined multiple times for illegal dumping/pollution in the past, so I suggest you add RCCL to your list of cruise companies you will no longer support. Like you said, cruise companies like RCCL and CCL will continue this behavior if passengers continue to support these companies. 

Royal didn't get caught violating their probation 800 times. 

I don't know what your vacation time situation is like, but if you were unhappy with so many things on this cruise, you should cancel the Mardi Gras- vacation time is too valuable to take trips you know you're not going to enjoy. 

But, you knew about the potential sanctions/fines when you took this trip, so I don't think you'll get too far saying you should get money back due to the legal situation.   Even if you lose the deposit, you wont have to pay any more money to Carnival and can take a different trip you'll find more enjoyable.  

11 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I have to say that I believe that the "food issues" you mentioned above, as well as the requirement to eat breakfast in the Lido because you don't get up in time to get there before 10:30 are a matter of perspective.  The issues above, IMO, are cruise specific (perhaps not even ship specific).  I have never experienced not having carved meats or a lack of breads, hot foods, salad bar items in the buffet (not that I eat there a lot).  The method of distributing bacon has been ongoing for years.  BTW, in case you didn't know, on sea days the MDR is open for brunch until 1:30pm.  You had other (better) options on those days.

Fryee39-  My son said he is going even if we don't, he doesn't want to loose the money and my daughter feels the same way, so I can't just bail out on them and we do have other family going so it be all about being with family.  

I have every right to give my opinions, ask questions and write my experiences, just like you and everybody else does here.  If you don't like what I write its very very simple, skip/scroll over this post!! 

Just to clarify things, since your complaining about my post here, I have not been on a week long Carnival cruise since 2016, we have cruised RC since then and been on 6 RC cruises, so yes, I asked questions and this board is all about our opinions, suggestions as well as our experiences and I have the right to post on here just like you do, so again, scroll over my posts if you don't like what I have to say here.  I have been on the Elation in February but the Breeze is certainly a much different ship, the reason why I have asked questions.....I don't have to explain myself to you but wanted to.

I never said I had a horrible bad cruise, I mentioned my experiences on this ship and I did have a good cruise, but when we get off a ship we compare RC to Carnival, its only natural everybody does it.

Hi

Got to admit Cruisegirl6, but jbethel11 has a point. You do seem to be the only one on this thread that is complaining.

You start off the thread suggesting that you are outraged by the past actions of Carnival, and that you/we should consider cancelling future cruises, not only because they are bad corporate citizens but also if there is a large financial fine against them we will all be suffering because of future cuts in service (to compensate for those fines). Then you state that you really can't cancel your cruise, because of family commitments, but Carnival is still a bad actor. I haven't seen you say, that you are willing to take a stand and commit to not sailing with Carnival in the future. That would be it. You would be sending a message to the company. 

As far as "skipping over posts", the same would apply to yourself. What are you going on about? I did read your review, it seemed like an ordinary cruise except that you had a poor cabin location.  

• Like 1

Hello,

Let me ask you a question. Do you have intimate knowledge that " they will be needing to make up all that money" Are you immersed in their financial status?? To be honest the guests for the most part are the issue as they feel entitled to come on here and regurgitate nonsense. What is a cutback? Since you follow this industry closely, you will notice that NCL, RCI and CCL all have very close to the same ticket prices as they do in 1995, but yet offer so much more than 1995. I would really like to hear your itemized list of cutbacks.