Jim_Iain Live!!! - B2B Summit New England and Bermuda Jun 5 & 16th

Jim_Iain

13 hours ago, Newsbuff16 said:

Thanks for posting the Blu menus. Are you able to order escargot or creme brûlée’ ( two of my favorites) which are often available in the main dining room? This will be our first time cruising in an aqua class room.

Yes both available daily.   Wanda had the escargot one night.   I did notice the crepe brûlée on the desert menu daily. 

13 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Jim,

We just got cleared for the Chef’s Table on Saturday night.  I hope that you both did is well.  Let us know.

I have a request in for next week so didn’t try for this cruise.   Look forward  to dinner  with you tonight.  

3 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Jim, I am anxious to hear about your Tuscan experience.  We are dining there the first evening.  We are headed out today to make the drive to NJ.  See you and Iain on Sunday.

We had a very nice dinner.   The restaurant was only about 1/2 full.  For the most part all was perfect.   Wanda ordered Eggplant parm and it came out cold.   Over her objections we had it sent back.   The restaurant manager brought it back with profuse apologizes from the chef .    The plate was sizzling hot but is was barely warm.    She chose to not send back again   

7B465E00-3B71-4460-8116-441633D274CF.thumb.jpeg.14c376e3770b49e4eedeb4c7e5c22676.jpeg

6A140541-6D0C-4004-9A5E-1F080923886C.thumb.jpeg.54cf89c007a8699c6dd1acd56d0fc05a.jpeg

BA09E465-AD1C-4776-969B-FF22DC563936.thumb.jpeg.8db884e4e851473930e3f5aee77ce44b.jpeg

2B6C04AA-3AD0-4563-8795-900203CAE669.thumb.jpeg.665487493d24ebc6898d04d96159d0e3.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

On this cruise there is only one chef dinner and Chef night s suppose to be there for it.  Currently a waitlist over 20.     I have them checking for next cruise.  

On this cruise the had 2 Chefs tables.  One the regular menu and one wit Chef Daniels. 

Thank you so much. Hope you get it for next cruise.

Wendy

Thank you Jim for the wonderful review of your Summit cruises. We will be cruising btb starting on June 27. It is our 50th anniversary with the whole family coming. We will be 11 in total. I would like your opinion of a table for 10 and be tight or two tables of 6 in MD. We will be in Blu on the first cruise. Another question, who is CC hostess. Thanks again. 

Thank you so much for the wonderful reviews.  We'll be boarding on Sunday, and I will certainly look forward to spotting the two "Summit Celebrities" (pun intended) that I've enjoyed following all week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pennstatedj said:

Thank you Jim for the wonderful review of your Summit cruises. We will be cruising btb starting on June 27. It is our 50th anniversary with the whole family coming. We will be 11 in total. I would like your opinion of a table for 10 and be tight or two tables of 6 in MD. We will be in Blu on the first cruise. Another question, who is CC hostess. Thanks again. 

I would think that two tables of 6 might be a better choice than the large tables of 10.    I've eaten at the 10 top before and it is really too large for all to hear conversations at the other end of the table.   What we did that worked well was every night mix up who sits where so everyone gets a chance to sit close to each other.      Blu has about 4  6 tops. 

The Captain's Club Hostess is Anshika Boohdun.  She is very sweet and organized.  

8 minutes ago, Lizcourt said:

Thank you so much for the wonderful reviews.  We'll be boarding on Sunday, and I will certainly look forward to spotting the two "Summit Celebrities" (pun intended) that I've enjoyed following all week.

Thanks and looking forward to meeting.   It will not be long before we arrive back in New Jersey.    The dreaded luggage tags were delivered to those leaving and the B2B Transit Passes just arrived.

You are going to love the staff and ship. 

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wanda ordered Eggplant parm and it came out cold.   Over her objections we had it sent back.   The restaurant manager brought it back with profuse apologizes from the chef .    The plate was sizzling hot but is was barely warm.

That sound like they put it in a microwave or maybe an oven, to try and warm it up, and the plate absorbed all the heat. Have that happen at home all the time with stoneware plates.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We had a really nice luncheon with Wanda, Sue and Rob in the MDR.   One thing we noticed is upstairs they have really added quite a number of tables.   The staff had a difficult time getting between tables.   Lots of 2 tops but many very close (about 2-3 inches between tables. 

DAC6B4CE-92D7-4293-BB5E-1C1BAA5750D2.thumb.jpeg.f16e57d0232ed7b206398cc1bce00ad0.jpeg

7CE3A8A6-DF80-4BC7-B5C7-EC35A638A329.thumb.jpeg.f5261563df158b1566780f192a612580.jpeg

Good info about the mdr.

Do you know?     if we have Select Dining and make res for each night, will we expect to dine upstairs or  down in the main area. ?  We used to enjoy upstairs along the rail but sounds like there's one area for fixed and one for Select.    Coming from AQ this will all  be new to us on Summit.

Enjoy your trip back to port ...and the next Sailaway!

• Thanks 1

Hi Jim-

Thanks for the live thread- I always love your info.

We are also onboard now and I want to thank you for mentioning the MDR. The spacing of the tables has been a continuing issue for many of us in the MDR at lunch and dinner. First, even before chairs are filled, the spacing is tight in numerous areas. Once people are seated, you really need to figure out how to pass behind the chairs.  

At lunch today, we were seated at the railing with a nice view to the lower dining room. We were at a 2 top with another 2 top separated by about 3 inches. The waiters could not get to our table to set anything down and actually reached in front of the diners at the other table to hand us our filled water glasses, bread basket, and plates of food. When we left the table, our neighbors had to get out of their chairs to let us out.

Our regular table is at the back of the upper dining room. Just walking to our table before anyone is seated requires moving chairs so we can pass. After dinner, if we leave before everyone clears out, finding a path is frustrating.

This is our 3rd time on Summit- we are lowly Elite. 😊 I don’t recall ever having this problem on Summit or any other cruise ship including HAL or Princess. Did the designers not measure space with people in the chairs? The tables seem bigger maybe, or maybe the chairs are longer front to back?

Attached is a photo I took today of the lower dining room. Space looks ok, especially at the round tables. But picture it with people in the chairs and you can see the problem.

Thanks for letting me vent! Enjoy the rest of your cruises!

421CD228-F0E2-4EBF-9AD9-A85A8BB91375.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, travelers07 said:

Our regular table is at the back of the upper dining room. Just walking to our table before anyone is seated requires moving chairs so we can pass. After dinner, if we leave before everyone clears out, finding a path is frustrating.

This doesn't sound good at all.  We will boarding Summit on June 27th and have traditional late seating dinner.  My DH usually has to excuse himself at least once during dinner to use the men's room.  This will be our 18th cruise on Summit.  I don't remember it being like that prior.  Have you spoken to the Hotel Director. Danita about this?

Also I asked previously in this thread if anyone knew if the MDR menus are also being redone but never received a response.

Thanks.

Is traditional  dinner seating on Summit on the upper or lower level   or mixed in with Select?

One group of MDR tables we sat at for lunch in Infinity was  basically a huge table across the rear.  They were allegedly  all tables for 2 but were one long row.  Once the person across from you was seated there was no way for them to escape.. Made it awkward when someone  needed to use the restroom or did not want to stay for dessert. 

We do not mind sharing a table but will refuse to get hemmed in like that..It .also affected the way the meal was served.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, hcat said:

Good info about the mdr.

Do you know?     if we have Select Dining and make res for each night, will we expect to dine upstairs or  down in the main area. ?  We used to enjoy upstairs along the rail but sounds like there's one area for fixed and one for Select.    Coming from AQ this will all  be new to us on Summit.

Enjoy your trip back to port ...and the next Sailaway!

Just checked with Rob and Sue are in fixed traditional and the said they are upstairs and Select is downstairs.  

They have two desks at entrance with one being for those with reservations and one for just walk up. 

3 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

The picture of Tuscan looks fairly casual.  Bright lighting and no tablecloths?  Does it actually come across that way in person?

Menu looks good to me.  Thanks.

May be an optical.   The lights were subdued.  I had to edit pictures to correct lighting. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CruisingChick said:

This doesn't sound good at all.  We will boarding Summit on June 27th and have traditional late seating dinner.  My DH usually has to excuse himself at least once during dinner to use the men's room.  This will be our 18th cruise on Summit.  I don't remember it being like that prior.  Have you spoken to the Hotel Director. Danita about this?

Also I asked previously in this thread if anyone knew if the MDR menus are also being redone but never received a response.

Thanks.

I asked and yes they are suppose to add some signature items to MDR menu. In Luminea they have 3 items at base of menu from Chef Michael an appetizer, main and dessert.  They do not change nightly. 

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just checked with Rob and Sue are in fixed traditional and the said they are upstairs and Select is downstairs.  

They have two desks at entrance with one being for those with reservations and one for just walk up. 

Thanks for checking...sounds workable for us

Jim,

I thoroughly enjoyed your live postings.  They made me even more anxious to board on June 27th!  What are your plans for turnaround day in Bayonne?  It looks to be a cloudy morning with showers predicted for mid-day.  A jaunt into Manhattan would be very rushed, I would imagine.  I think I'd be happy to stay onboard!!  Looking forward to reading all about your next cruise.  Nice to see pictures of you guys with Rob and Sue.  I've met them a few times onboard Summit and they are a very sweet couple.

Janice