Has Princess announced new policies on plastic waste?

RoperDK

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

get florida to deal with it.  like ca... 

And the most efficient way to deal with it is to stop it from getting in the water in the first place.  Doesn't appear that California's "toughest environmental regs" (your quote) are doing the job.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Hardly.  Here's a photo taken by the US Fish & Wildlife Dept in the Florida Keys

Seaborne plastics litter mangroves

Or a beach in Norway:

plastic-pollution-coastal-care-norway

Or, even closer to home for you, the LA river:

plastic-pollution-la

So I'm supposed to think all this trash came from cruise ships?

Doubtful  😏

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

So I'm supposed to think all this trash came from cruise ships?

Doubtful  😏

Did I say that?  I was responding to someone who said plastic in the oceans wasn't a real problem, and that it only pertained to third world countries.  In fact, despite Carnival Corp's documented poor performance in environmental compliance, the maritime industry is way more regulated with regard to waste disposal and pollution than any country, state, or city, and for the most part we do a fine job of not putting that kind of stuff into the ocean.  

However, Carnival Corp, and Princess Cruises in particular, have been fined for violating these strict requirements for 26 years, so they made the elimination of plastic from food waste a major discussion point of the probation settlement, and this announcement of reduction of single use plastic items is just the most visible (to a passenger) way that Carnival can show the world they are working towards compliance.  As I've stated on several threads regarding this case, this is the easy, quick, and public "band-aid" fix that Carnival can do.  While it does address a certain aspect of their environmental non-compliance, their violations run the full gamut of pollution types from garbage to air emissions, oil pollution, sewage and ozone depleting refrigerants.  As I've said on other threads, this "announcement" of reduction of single use plastics is like Oz saying "If you'll just put up without straws, you can ignore all the pollution we do behind the curtain".  Its a very small step, but a step.

• Like 5

On 6/8/2019 at 5:59 AM, MissP22 said:

What will people use to dispose their household garbage in? 

Well, let's look back at history.  The first plastic bag used for shopping was introduced in 1979.  Kroger and Safeway were the first chains to put them into wide circulation...in 1982!!.  You know those ubiquitous "drawstring" garbage bags that people use in their kitchens?  They were introduced in 1984.  If you are over 50 years old, your parents lived well into adulthood without ever using a plastic bag for shopping or disposing of household garbage.  Your grandparents pretty much lived their entire lives without plastic bags, as did every generation before them.  For thousands and thousands of years, humans lived without them.  And into the future, this infinitesimally small sliver of time known as the "plastic age" will measure less than 100 years.  While plastic bags might seem "essential" to you, in the grand scheme of things, they will be remembered as a short-lived, horrible mistake.  But one that spanned your lifetime, so they seem so much more important to you.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

at our local 'Publix' it's always "is plastic ok" at the checkout ... you have to request paper bags

also - our recycling program does NOT accept those Publix or Target plastic bags - we reuse as many as we can, but those end up eventually in the landfill, unless we take a bunch of bags back to the store and put them in their recycle containers ...

we are getting better about using our own canvas bags ...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, voljeep said:

also - our recycling program does NOT accept those Publix or Target plastic bags

Nobody does.  Plastic bags are not compatible with recycling measures.

This video is specific to Chicago, but the process/problem is the same wherever you are.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

at our local 'Publix' it's always "is plastic ok" at the checkout ... you have to request paper bags

also - our recycling program does NOT accept those Publix or Target plastic bags - we reuse as many as we can, but those end up eventually in the landfill, unless we take a bunch of bags back to the store and put them in their recycle containers ...

we are getting better about using our own canvas bags ...

Same here, so what do you use to put garbage in?

Paper doesn't really work well for wet items.

Where we live they said not to put loose household garbage in the containers for pickup. 

We never seem to have to return excess plastic bags back to the store for recycling plus we don't require that many when shopping. 

Time that the stores used biodegradable bags (not paper) in place of the plastic bags. 

On 6/6/2019 at 9:38 PM, DrivesLikeMario said:

We've had the paper straws foisted on us on the west coast for at least 6 months now.  The paper ones are horrible and I've had to resort to carrying my own plastic ones.  We also can't use styrofoam containers.

On Princess, you have to ask for a plastic straw.  As of now, they'll give them to you but in some venues like the buffet, it's a bit of a trek for them to get them from the bar.

Where we live in South Carolina they recently banned all single use plastic, so grocery stores either had to start using paper bags or recyclable bags (which, honestly, in my opinion, are stronger than the old plastic bags. Restaurants now use either paper straws or recyclable plastic straws, etc. It is a learning curve, of sorts, but I don't mind most of the changes.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, mjmalino said:

Where we live in South Carolina they recently banned all single use plastic, so grocery stores either had to start using paper bags or recyclable bags (which, honestly, in my opinion, are stronger than the old plastic bags. Restaurants now use either paper straws or recyclable plastic straws, etc. It is a learning curve, of sorts, but I don't mind most of the changes.

They started that a couple years ago in So. Cal. and it's been mandatory for at least a year.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2019 at 5:59 AM, MissP22 said:

You people have got me convinced. 

I'm saving all plastic bags as well as collecting them from different locations to use when the ban comes into effect. 😁😁 LOL

What will people use to dispose their household garbage in? 

I guess they'll have to go & purchase new plastic bags for that. 😏

Actually, the new recyclable bags that our Wal-Mart and Target use are stronger than the old ones.

4 hours ago, mjmalino said:

That sounds like a viable solution.

2 minutes ago, mjmalino said:

Actually, the new recyclable bags that our Wal-Mart and Target use are stronger than the old ones.

Walmart here in Fl seems to be using the same old grey bags. No marking that I can distinguish to say recyclable. All the bags say is to return them to the store for recycling. 

But then I would have to purchase other plastic bags for our garbage. 😏

51 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Princess that dumped gray water in Glacier Bay? 

Actually it was HAL Westerdam that most recently dumped in Glacier Bay.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, voljeep said:

I'm not sure if all Publix do this, but our St Pete Beach Publix has a bin outside their store to recycle the plastic bags.  They also have a separate bin to recycle egg cartons. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, c-boy said:

you don't use biodegradable trash bags in Florida ?

I'll use them when they're supplied by the stores.

11 hours ago, Barklee said:

I'm not sure if all Publix do this, but our St Pete Beach Publix has a bin outside their store to recycle the plastic bags.  They also have a separate bin to recycle egg cartons. 

Our Publix also has a bin for the grocery bags but since we use them for garbage, I never had the need to utilize them. 

I'll have to check on the egg carton bin. I've never noticed it. 

31 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I'll use them when they're supplied by the stores.

They are easy to find on Amazon.  Haven't looked for them in brick and mortar stores, but I imagine they are accessible there as well.  Also, what you want to look for are "compostable bags" instead of "biodegradable bags".  Biodegradable bags only break down under optimal environmental conditions which don't always exist.  So yes, you can source these.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

They are easy to find on Amazon.  Haven't looked for them in brick and mortar stores, but I imagine they are accessible there as well.  Also, what you want to look for are "compostable bags" instead of "biodegradable bags".  Biodegradable bags only break down under optimal environmental conditions which don't always exist.  So yes, you can source these.

You mean I can purchase them in which case I'm not interested.

If the store provided them then I would use them as needed but not at my expense since I have plenty of the ones they now give our for free.

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Thank you, JVW.  My wife regularly orders stuff off Amazon, and, so, I sent her a note with a link to add these to her next order.

Also, thank you for the clarification on "compostable" vs. "biodegradable."  I was pretty ignorant of that difference.

When I went to the Amazon site and did the research I noticed that those compostable bags look like the ones that I am now seeing in the local Trader Joe's for bagging produce.  I hope more grocery stores start using these.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Lindaru said:

Dissolvable edible plastics under production in Portland, Oregon:

It looks good but what happens if your groceries sweat on the way home?

Of if there used as garbage bags at home & it gets soaked from wet coffee grinds or wet veggies?