54 minutes ago, dis2cruise said:

Sorry first time in Europe ☺️

First time using the internet too?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nearest+airport+to+civitavecchia

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+far+is+rome+airport+from+the+city

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dis2cruise said:

Which airport would that be?  And also how far to the 

city of Rome from the airport.   Is transportation  easy to this area ??  

Fiumicino (Leonardo da Vinci) airport is Rome's main international airport (flights originating overseas arrive here). Fiumicino is located 25 miles from the historic center of Rome. 

Ciampino is Rome's other airport and serves mostly intra-European flights. It is located 7.5 miles from the historic center of Rome.

Distance from Civitavecchia to Ciampino is 87 km (54 miles); distance from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino is 66 km (41 miles). 

There are a variety of ways to reach Rome depending on the airport - these include taxi, shared shuttle, bus, Leonardo Express (FCO only), etc.

You would need transportation from Rome/airport to Civi. 

Info here for options from FCO to Civi: https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Rome-Airport-FCO/Civitavecchia

Info here for options from Ciampino to Civi: https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Rome-Ciampino-Airport-CIA/Civitavecchia

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dis2cruise said:

OP if it is your first trip to Europe, then you should spend some time on the Europe Board here at CC, lots of information about transfers, tours and everything else from tipping etiquette to what to wear in religious buildings!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/8-europe/

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

OP if it is your first trip to Europe, then you should spend some time on the Europe Board here at CC, lots of information about transfers, tours and everything else from tipping etiquette to what to wear in religious buildings!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/8-europe/

I agree - lots of info on the europe forum and lots of helpful advice. In addition to the link posted above, here is the link specific to Italy's ports of call:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

23 hours ago, dis2cruise said:

Which airport would that be?  And also how far to the 

city of Rome from the airport.   Is transportation  easy to this area ??  

I'm going to assume you're arriving in Rome by air from the US.  If that's not the case, please provide your itinerary.  If I'm correct, then you'll be arriving as someone mentioned, at Leonardo di Vinci Rome Fiumicino airport, which is coded FCO for airline travel purposes.  From the airport, you can take the Leonardo Express train, which is essentially a shuttle that runs between FCO and Rome Termini, which is one of the main train stations in the Rome city center.  If I recall correctly, it's something like 12 or 14€ per person and takes about 25 minutes.  From Rome Termini, get a cab to your hotel.   The Leonardo Express is easy, though you may have to walk a bit at the airport, just follow the signs.  There are kiosks to buy your ticket upon arrival, just be aware that as with virtually all train travel in Europe, you will carry all your own bags onto the train with you so be sure you can handle your luggage.  Alternatively you can arrange a private car service but that is obviously much more expensive.  You can probably take a cab or a public bus but I've never done either so can't comment on ease or price.  (I've done both car service and Leonardo Express multiple times.)

One note, based on experience:  if you get a cab from Rome Termini to your hotel, it's very possible your driver will not speak much English.  Take the name and address of your hotel written out to hand the driver. (this is actually good advice anywhere in the world where a different language is spoken)  And if it's a small boutique hotel on a small street, your driver may not be familiar with the street, so also take a printout from Google maps showing where it's located relative to Rome Termini.  (I learned that one the hard way, LOL)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sea Day Cruiser said:

Are there any hotels close to the Fiumincino International Airport?   We have been to Rome and just want to stay overnight and go to the port in the morning to meet a cruise ship. 

Yes various, just check airporthotels FCO on sites like e.g. booking.com or hotels.com . We stayed in the Isola Sacra, just a few miles from the airport. They have a shuttle, but we took a cab. 

6 hours ago, Sea Day Cruiser said:

Are there any hotels close to the Fiumincino International Airport?   We have been to Rome and just want to stay overnight and go to the port in the morning to meet a cruise ship. 

Again, some research on the Italy board would be beneficial. There is a nice Hilton right in the airport.

8 hours ago, Sea Day Cruiser said:

Just pull up Google Maps, locate the airport, and type in "hotel"...it'll list them all near the airport. You can ever stay over by the water and still be pretty much right by the airport, which would be a nice start to a vacation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Again, some research on the Italy board would be beneficial. There is a nice Hilton right in the airport.

Have stayed at the Hilton and it is quite convenient for a quick overnight stop.  You can walk there from the terminal.  Makes for an easy place to crash, especially if you haven't been able to sleep on the flight and you want the day to work on adjusting to your new time zone.

There is a complimentary regularly scheduled full-size bus that takes hotel guests to and from downtown Rome.  It's been a few years since I stayed there, but IIRC, the drop point in Rome is the Piazza Venezia.   The bus is first-come, first-served, so it you just want a quick run into the city, it makes for an easy method. (Of course, Rome traffic puts a qualifier on "quick")  And since the hotel is at the airport itself, you can also take the airport express train as well.  Pricier, but you aren't at the mercy of the bus schedule and getting a seat.

That being said, there's nothing around that hotel other than the airport, so you can't just walk out to a nice off-site restaurant.  You're a bit of a captive. 

9 hours ago, compozer said:

If you have no plans to do any tours of Rome, have you thought of just heading to Civitavecchia from the airport.  Then you can sleep in the morning you board the ship

Yes, I’ve thought about that. I need to get information about hotels in Civitavecchia too. And then figure out the best way to get there. I did a search for Rome airport hotels and it brought up this thread. I didn’t look closely enough and assumed it was on the Italy board.

I am researching transportation from airport to hotel right now.   We had planned to stay in Rome one night.   We arrive at 7am and had planned to do tours all day.  But since it is not our first time in Rome, we really think it would be less stressful to just go straight to port and stay there the night before the cruise.  My next task is to find a hotel.

Good luck to you.

11 hours ago, compozer said:

I am researching transportation from airport to hotel right now.   We had planned to stay in Rome one night.   We arrive at 7am and had planned to do tours all day.  But since it is not our first time in Rome, we really think it would be less stressful to just go straight to port and stay there the night before the cruise.  My next task is to find a hotel.

Good luck to you.

Unless you have things you really want to see or re-see in Rome (don't miss Ostia if you haven't gone already, that's probably my favorite place in all of Rome), it very well may be worth it to just chill out that first day, get a good nights sleep, and wake up refreshed. There are also some areas between Rome and Civitavecchia that may be relaxing, such as a hotel on Lake Bracciano.

4 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Ij just flew into Fco yesterday and opted to stay at the port. I’m a cheapskate.  I have taken the train and bus to Civ..    There are numerous other transfers.   

Curious - how much luggage did you have?   I heard that most of the trains do not have storage for luggage since it is mainly for commuters. 

On 7/18/2019 at 8:16 AM, compozer said:

Curious - how much luggage did you have?   I heard that most of the trains do not have storage for luggage since it is mainly for commuters. 

Depends on the train and class of travel. I took an InterCity (IC) train with 1st class and there is space for large luggage where the seats face away from each other.

We will have four suitcases and our backpacks.  I decided to get a car service.   We tried the train with that much luggage on a two week land trip from London after our cruise.  We did the first class back then.    Much nicer than the Berlin to port train with only one suitcase each.   It will full when we got on along with 35 other people, luggage and bikes.  My husband is not a happy camper when we take four but, heck - half the stuff is his!!!!

15 hours ago, compozer said:

We will have four suitcases and our backpacks.

Oh my, that's quite a lot to schlep around!  How long is your trip?  Plenty of suggestions for cutting that down to a more manageable amount, if you're interested, over on the "cruise fashions and beauty" board.  Frequent posts and replies there about cutting down on packing, yet still ending up with everything you really need for your particular trip.  If you're interested; if you're happy schlepping 4 backs + 2 backpacks, more power to you!  🙂

Edited by waterbug123

7 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Oh my, that's quite a lot to schlep around!  How long is your trip?  Plenty of suggestions for cutting that down to a more manageable amount, if you're interested, over on the "cruise fashions and beauty" board.  Frequent posts and replies there about cutting down on packing, yet still ending up with everything you really need for your particular trip.  If you're interested; if you're happy schlepping 4 backs + 2 backpacks, more power to you!  🙂

Thanks for the suggestion of checking out the other board.  But I like to take 3 or 4 gowns and my dh takes his tux plus a white dinner jacket and we like to wear different clothes.   This trip is just over five weeks.   We usually take four and if I am doing any scuba diving - there is more.   I take dive trips with my son and he has two bags just with his camera gear.   Since we have experienced the pitfalls of taking so much on a train, I plan to hire cars. I don't want to make my husband dislike flying anymore than he does.   Oh to be back in the 70's when it was fun to fly.   Thanks again for trying to help.