Hot Topic in US right now

TNcrzr4life

I’ve searched the boards best I can and cannot find the answer to a very hot topic in the US.  Is CBD oil ( not TCH) allowed on the ship by customs? Will it clear on return? I take a relatively low dose for fibromyalgia. It makes a difference for me and I would really love to bring it on board when we sail on The Equinox in August. Any advice or experience would be helpful. Thank you!

• Like 1

In late May the TSA said it would be allowed on flights.  In have not seen any mention of TSA policy in regards to cruise ships.  

You have several levels of authority......the TSA, the port security staff who clear your bags on entry to the ship, the Cruise Line, and finally, Customs and Immigration on arrival back to the US.  

I have  only seen the TSA’s ruling so far.

That particular link is mostly about hemp seeds. But it does state that “products that do not cause THC to enter the human body are therefore legal products”

most consumers are using CBD oil, cream or tea. 

Edited by cruisestitch

I note you are on Equinox in August so if you are in the Caribbean and in and out of Fort Lauderdale I guess the answer would be through the US Port Authority as long as you don’t take your oil into any port of call.

Personally, I would contact them directly and also the cruise line and get a written response by email rather than by phone conversation. 

I think this this is one of those questions that needs to be answered by authorities rather than by cruisers just like visa, passport questions...Many guests may not have had an issue but you don’t want to be the one who has...Stress doesn’t help your condition so an authorised response one way or another would put your mind at ease. Also if the response was ‘no’ you would have time to consider alternatives medications for the cruise period.

Sincere best wishes for a positive outcome and a fantastic cruise. I hope the good weather and rest and relaxation offer some comfort for your condition too.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Quick check of a couple of areas no one has mentioned before, is that the DEA has moved CBD products out of the controlled drug classification if it is FDA approved.

Also, Malta (where the Equinox is flagged) only allows CBD products with a prescription.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

There was a thread a few months ago by a lady who claimed she received a fine for having a substance that was not in a labeled bottle.  I believe it may have had to do with CBD oil.

I think she was on Summit out of San Juan.  EM

There is one FDA approved CBD containing product. It’s approved for seizure management. 

If the OP has a CBD oil product other than Epidiolex, it’s technically illegal; it’s generally illegal to market a product containing an FDA approved ingredient (CBD) in a non-FDA approved formulation, or to market it as a food additive. 

If if you do a quick Google search, you’ll find numerous articles on hemp products being confiscated and shippers arrested. Hemp products with less than 0.3% THC on a dry matter basis are no longer regulated as cannabis, but the law enforcement rapid tests are qualitative, not quantitative, and may react. 

So, if the OP is carrying the one FDA approved product with a prescription, they should be OK. Otherwise, it’s actually illegal as a pharmaceutical, and risky for THC content as a controlled substance. 

2 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

True but many of us first have to fly to get to the port so we have to start with that.....

People are cruising from US ports to foreign ports. When the ship is in their ports, the laws of those coiuntries apply. Not FDA or US customs. 

15 hours ago, chemmo said:

Sincere best wishes for a positive outcome and a fantastic cruise. I hope the good weather and rest and relaxation offer some comfort for your condition too.

Thank you so much, chemmo!

12 hours ago, TNcrzr4life said:

Thanks for all the great responses. I think I will just play it safe and plan on leaving it at home. Cruising cures what ails you any way, right 😉

Totally...a drinks package goes some way to!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
49 minutes ago, bac513 said:

So is cbd cream/oil with no THC allowed on X.

There is a good article on that here on Cruise Critic -

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=4413

excerpt -

Can You Cruise With CBD Oil?

Most major cruise lines explicitly forbid CBD oil. The following lines have a ban on traveling with any CBD oil:

• Azamara
  • Carnival Cruise Line
  • Celebrity Cruises
  • Disney Cruise Line
  • Oceania Cruises
  • Princess Cruises
  • Regent Seven Seas Cruises
  • Norwegian Cruise Line
  • Royal Caribbean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From Celebrity's website:

Medical Marijana and CBD Products:
We do not allow guests who possess medical marijuana permits to bring marijuana on board any of our ships. It is only legal to use medical marijuana in the jurisdiction (state/county/city etc.) where it was prescribed. It's a federal offense to possess it when leaving and entering the U.S. and many foreign countries.

CBD products are considered prohibited items and are not allowed onboard.