Pizza and Burgers on NCL Ships?

SailorMan20

On 7/8/2019 at 5:36 PM, BirdTravels said:

Have you ever had decent pizza on any cruise ship?

exactly and if anyone says "yes" I will wonder what they call good pizza? The burgers out by the pool an O'Sheehans are good but the meat is slightly over cooked for me. I don't even bother with pizza anymore. We have enough pizza places here, we don't need to eat crappy pizza on a cruise. Even worse than NCLs is Princess. 

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

exactly and if anyone says "yes" I will wonder what they call good pizza? The burgers out by the pool an O'Sheehans are good but the meat is slightly over cooked for me. I don't even bother with pizza anymore. We have enough pizza places here, we don't need to eat crappy pizza on a cruise. Even worse than NCLs is Princess. 

Pizza on a cruise ship is like going to the supermarket and getting tomato spattered cardboard and calling it pizza.

OK maybe there will be cheese crumbs with traces of something vegetable edible.

About those well done burgers - best be there when the batch comes from the galley to get a selection - well done

done well and you maybe lucky to get one that goldie locks ordered "just right".

The Topsiders Grill on the pool deck sometimes the food has been out there a bit too long - this can happen too

at the Buffet - be there while the food is right off the grill.

At O'Sheehans you can give the waiter a hint (for health reasons - avoid raw meat) something pass moo-moo.

Medium to well done.

My favorite is the hamburger patty with a pineapple ring on top.

• Like 1

Pizza on the Jewell class ships in the buffet has been universally tasteless (even if

they just put it out) Worse than frozen pizza! As for burgers Cagney's has really good

ones. Between the buffet and by the pool the pool ones are better.

1 hour ago, Noworkforme23 said:

We had burgers at the buffet and Margaritaville, both very good. 

My son really enjoyed the pizza at the buffet. 

Overall, we thought the Garden Cafe was very good, we were impressed on the Bliss.

I thought the Margaritaville burger was decent, and the fries were the best we had all cruise. Haven fries were terrible for some reason. 

On 7/8/2019 at 12:50 PM, Zippeedee said:

Depending on the ship, La Cucina has good pizza. It is extra cost. The buffet pizza can be ok if it hasn't been sitting for too long. Same for the burgers. I prefer O'Sheehans because it is served fresh. If the buffet is cooking them frequently they are ok. I have not had a Margaritaville burger but they look really good. 

I totally agree

14 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

If the standard is merely "decent" then absolutely. Anyone who claims Carnivals pizza is worse than a fairly low "decent" standard is fooling themselves.  Just because NCL can't put out a decent pizza doesn't mean other lines aren't capable. Even Royal has a decent pizza when fresh. It's been better lately.  I'm a pizza snob to the max.  I've been all over. Cruise ship pizza, like most cruise ship food in general, is "decent".  I didn't try NCL pizza fresh out of the oven, to be fair, so maybe it's decent when fresh. But off the buffet it wasn't passable as a product anyone should be eating. 

I had a burger at Margaritaville on Escape and it was above average. As you would pretty much expect at a land based Margaritaville. 

On 7/9/2019 at 5:06 AM, tomk3212 said:

I highly recommend the burgers at O'Sheehan's!  As good as or better than you'll get at Green Turtle (here in MD) or Applebees, IMHO.

Pizza...I haven't done this lately but we ordered pizza on the Gem years ago via room service (we paid the extra $$) & had it delivered to Maltings Bar where my son & I were watching a US football game on a Saturday afternoon.  It was delivered in a standard pizza box & it was actually pretty good!  As I said, I haven't done this lately but someone out there might give it a try...

Tried to do this on the Escape last winter.  Room service would not deliver it to the bar, so I saved a seat at the bar while hubby waited for pizza delivery in the room.  When hubby brought it down to the bar, everyone there was jealous and wanted to know how we got it.  It was kind of a pain to do it that way, but it was fun to have it while we watched the football game.  It was hot and fresh, too.

@ShelleyQT  That is too funny!!!  In the incident I spoke of we were sitting next to some tweens (also NY Giants fans!!) who brought a bunch of chicken wings down from the Blue Lagoon  & shared them with my son & I.  Share-and-share-alike, we shared our pizza with them!  Everyone else was so jealous & were asking where we got the pizza from!

8 hours ago, BNBR said:

If the standard is merely "decent" then absolutely. Anyone who claims Carnivals pizza is worse than a fairly low "decent" standard is fooling themselves.  Just because NCL can't put out a decent pizza doesn't mean other lines aren't capable. Even Royal has a decent pizza when fresh. It's been better lately.  I'm a pizza snob to the max.  I've been all over. Cruise ship pizza, like most cruise ship food in general, is "decent".  I didn't try NCL pizza fresh out of the oven, to be fair, so maybe it's decent when fresh. But off the buffet it wasn't passable as a product anyone should be eating. 

I had a burger at Margaritaville on Escape and it was above average. As you would pretty much expect at a land based Margaritaville. 

decent, crappy, whatever, the quality is simply a matter of opinion. I haven't had a pizza on Carnival for years so am not arguing whether it is good or bad. I just don't think any pizza I have had is worth a second piece. I wouldn't expect it to be great either. 

20 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

If you're cruising and want amazing pizza, do a Med cruise that visits Naples.  Make a bee-line to Da Michele and enjoy the best (and most authentic) pizza in the world.

Just don't ask for pepperoni. 😉

Or go on MSC.

10 hours ago, jcu1210 said:

Anyone have burgers or pizza on the spirit?

Burgers on NCL are pretty much the same across the fleet and very good in size and taste across the fleet.  Caveat is we last sailed NCL over a year ago so things subject to change.

Pizza on NCL generally not very good except maybe at La Cucina for $.  Pizza seems to vary quite a bit in buffet from horrible (Spirit a few years back) to very good on POA with wood fired oven in buffet.  We had great pizza on Star a few years back then two years later not good.  Ordered room service once and it was pretty good.  Late night buffet pretty much now quite limited food overall and not good.  On our Spirit sailing, the pizza at GSC was passable. 

I've never had a good pizza or burger on any of the cruises I've been on however I've never had a Guy Fieri burger on a Carnival ship and I've never had a burger in Cagney's.  I don't go to Cagney's for a burger anyway.  I'm amazed when people get a burger and put lettuce, tomato, pickle, cheese, and a condiment on it and then say how good the burger is.  How can you possible taste the meat with all that stuff on it.  If you think you're getting a good burger eat it without the bun or other condiments and accessories and see if you taste meat.  There's way too much filler in all the burgers I've tried.

10 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I've never had a good pizza or burger on any of the cruises I've been on however I've never had a Guy Fieri burger on a Carnival ship and I've never had a burger in Cagney's.  I don't go to Cagney's for a burger anyway.  I'm amazed when people get a burger and put lettuce, tomato, pickle, cheese, and a condiment on it and then say how good the burger is.  How can you possible taste the meat with all that stuff on it.  If you think you're getting a good burger eat it without the bun or other condiments and accessories and see if you taste meat.  There's way too much filler in all the burgers I've tried.

now that is a very good point. I never thought about it that way. My main problem is with the meat being over cooked, but you are right if we add all the fillers to our burger we really can't taste the meat much period. 

12 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

If that works for you great, but I think normal people want to eat it with the toppings/condiments they like on the burger.

12 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

Dont they call that a steak.  Not a burger?    Just sayin lolol

thats what tastebuds are for.  They help separate the different tastes in your mouth.  

Me personally I don’t eat all the extra stuff on my pizza and burgers.  I’m a meat and potatoes guy.  Being raised in a NY pizza that’s about all I ate.  And I never broke my bad eating habits.  And I’ve tried many things as I’ve traveled all around the word.  

Back to the point     I’ve actually had some decent pizza at 2am in the morning at the pizza bar on carnival     But went on the same cruise 2 years later and the pizza was not as good at all.    All the burgers I’ve had have all been just ok nothing special they all seem to be like a frozen patty.  Nothing special at all. 

• Like 1

All I was trying to say was with a good burger you should be able to taste meat.  If you bite into a bare burger on a cruise ship you will probably only taste filler.  Same with many fast food restaurants, bite into their bare burger and see if you taste any hamburger.

Now that I think of it perhaps that's why people started call them burgers, there's no hamburger in the burger.

On 7/8/2019 at 6:36 PM, BirdTravels said:

Have you ever had decent pizza on any cruise ship?

Just got off the RCL Ovation of the Seas, and their Pizza was actually surprisingly good, and I'm used to good NY pizza.