Might miss embarkation in Barcelona

dawnelda

Thank you all for the feedback! In particular:

@grapau27 I called RCL and explained the situation, asking specifically if the room will be held for us. Yes they will hold the room (it seemed like there wouldn't really be anything else they'd do) and yes we can board in Palma (we'd have to call the Emergency Travel Team first to let them know)

@ptf2009 Good idea re: booking private transportation from BCN to the port. Also, yes we are at the front of the plane (row 2) and have just carry-on luggage so we should be quick to deplane.

@Saman Good idea re: booking a flight from Barcelona to Palma in advance, just in case. Do you recommend Vueling or Air Europa?

@neverbeenhere LOL!

Really, I'm not stressed about it. What's the worst that can happen? If we miss the ship then we'll sit back and drink some sangria in one of the most beautiful cities in the world and then hitch a flight (or something) to the next stop. Think of the story we'll be able to tell! Haha.

All kidding aside though, it would be more expensive for us to switch the flight than to miss embarkation. I understand that it's not ideal and I wouldn't be so laid-back about it in all circumstances (e.g. when my 6-year-old daughter and I fly to catch the Explorer in Dec. 2020) but hey, it is what it is.

I landed at 10,15 and I was at the port in the duty free shop by 11:15.  If I’d made my wine selection quicker I would have been on board by 11:15. 

It is a short direct motorway to the cruise port. 

I wouldn't bother booking a driver, you would waste more time trying to hook up than it takes to walk down the slope and straight into a taxi. Hundreds of taxis at BCN. 

If you do land late and “miss the boat”, then I’d get straight to a Palma and spend the night there. Less stressful than catching a plane the next day if things went wrong. Plenty of excellent restaurants and hotels in Palma. 

Good luck! 

Edited by little britain

5 minutes ago, little britain said:

It is a short direct motorway to the cruise port. 

I wouldn't  waste time booking a driver, you would waste more time trying to meet up than it takes to walk down the slope and straight into a taxi. Hundreds of taxis at BCN. 

Agree - it would be quicker to jump in a taxi and be on your way.  Looking out for a driver holding a board with your name on and then walking to his vehicle which may not be parked nearby would waste time.  Taxi's are plentiful and will take you right up to the ship.

• Thanks 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt stress just reading this!!!

At least the OP has options and knows in advance that this might be happening... think of all the first-time cruisers who are also inexperienced travelers in general and book a flight the day of their cruise to land by 1pm because all-aboard isn't until 3pm!!!  

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt stress just reading this!!!

At least the OP has options and knows in advance that this might be happening... think of all the first-time cruisers who are also inexperienced travelers in general and book a flight the day of their cruise to land by 1pm because all-aboard isn't until 3pm!!!  

It's not just cruises.  Land tours are the same.

A clarification here. You need to run to Immigration, which will be first(Passport Check...determining if you are allowed into the country), not Customs (which is about your personal property). Immigration is heavily dependent on the length of the lines. Customs in Europe is easy and fast, but you have to claim your bags first, and that can take 30 minutes or more.

There is significant difference between Immigration and Customs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There is significant difference between Immigration and Customs.

And I think you did a super job explaining it.  I think many people think of it as just one thing.

First we would say that if the OP misses their embarkation it is completely their own fault and they have nobody else to blame.  Given the  percentage of International flights that are late, IMHO they have made a lousy decision (even if it works).   If they must check luggage it could easily take an hour (or longer) to simply claim luggage and get out of the airport.  And if their luggage gets left behind in Canada (or less likely mis routed) they will possibly have to live with their carry-on for much of their cruise.   Catching up in Palma should not be that difficult but it does mean a hotel night (and meals) and the additional cost of airfare (which should be covered if the air was originally booked through the cruise line).  If the OP has to book their own air they will likely get caught-up in extra luggage fees (assuming they have some luggage).  

It is not the way we would want to start a cruise, but if one cannot fly-in earlier then it is what it is.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

First we would say that if the OP misses their embarkation it is completely their own fault and they have nobody else to blame.  Given the  percentage of International flights that are late, IMHO they have made a lousy decision (even if it works).   If they must check luggage it could easily take an hour (or longer) to simply claim luggage and get out of the airport.  And if their luggage gets left behind in Canada (or less likely mis routed) they will possibly have to live with their carry-on for much of their cruise.   Catching up in Palma should not be that difficult but it does mean a hotel night (and meals) and the additional cost of airfare (which should be covered if the air was originally booked through the cruise line).  If the OP has to book their own air they will likely get caught-up in extra luggage fees (assuming they have some luggage).  

It is not the way we would want to start a cruise, but if one cannot fly-in earlier then it is what it is.

Hank

If you had read the whole thread, you'd see that they are traveling with ONLY carry-on luggage, nothing checked.

17 minutes ago, brillohead said:

If you had read the whole thread, you'd see that they are traveling with ONLY carry-on luggage, nothing checked.

While Hank (and I) missed that, the point of his post is still absolutely dead on point.

And some of the misinformation (like "running to Customs" when Customs isn't the issue, Immigration and lines is) only obscures the craziness of this situation.

11 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

While Hank (and I) missed that, the point of his post is still absolutely dead on point.

And some of the misinformation (like "running to Customs" when Customs isn't the issue, Immigration and lines is) only obscures the craziness of this situation.

Did OP ever say why they're flying in then?

10 minutes ago, gooch47 said:

If I had this situation they'd have to sedate me.

Why?  It's not that difficult to get from Barcelona to Palma --there's even more than one option (flight or ferry). The OP is prepared and has limited baggage. And RCL has already assured them they can board in Palma.

I can think of much worse things than spending an evening in Barcelona or Palma. Yes, there would be a little stress but some of these responses are totally OTT.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 11:22 PM, dawnelda said:

@ptf2009 Good idea re: booking private transportation from BCN to the port. Also, yes we are at the front of the plane (row 2) and have just carry-on luggage so we should be quick to deplane.

Which airline are you flying with?

Are you flying business or first class? If you are flying first class contact the airline and ask if they can help you through the airport to make it quicker.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:40 AM, Hlitner said:

Hank

I agree with you that they made a lousy decision.

Lots of flights are late but eastbound transatlantic flights often land early when the tailwind is extra strong so maybe they can hope for that.  

Thank you for the responses! Since it seems to be of interest why we're not changing the flights, I don't mind explaining. Sorry for the Canadian metrics.

Combining Westjet dollars, companion fares and booking early, the flights are $2260 CAD for premium economy, non-stop flights.

Rebooking to an earlier Westjet flight (3 days earlier) would cost $6100 CAD for premium economy (including the discounts for Westjet dollars and companion fare), plus I would have to take 3 days off work without pay, plus my husband can't move his holidays, plus the extra $ for accommodations and food/drink/sight-seeing in Barcelona, plus my mother would have to come 3 days earlier (she lives 500 km away) to take care of our daughter - assuming she doesn't have other commitments for those 3 days.

We could go 1 day earlier (instead of 3) by taking Air Canada - tickets are $6200 for 2 people in premium economy. Same story as previous paragraph.

I'm not flying Economy as I despise airline travel quite enough. Just a personal mantra.

That's why I'd rather catch up with the ship in Palma.

I agree that it's not a good choice in most circumstances but it's fine here. We're packing light, have no mobility issues and don't mind the chance to get a hilarious story out of the possible inconvenience.

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 3:02 AM, sverigecruiser said:

I agree with you that they made a lousy decision.

Lots of flights are late but eastbound transatlantic flights often land early when the tailwind is extra strong so maybe they can hope for that.  

And they can arrive very late due late arrival of the aircraft from Europe.  Or maintenance.  Or maintenance that requires changing aircraft (sometimes with having to reissue EVERY boarding card due to a change in the configuation with the new aircraft), or weather holds departing, or .....

Of if there is a connection before the trans-Atlantic flight, and you miss the connection.

I have had ALL of these occur.  And have arrived from 3 hours to 24 hours late.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SRF said:

And they can arrive very late due late arrival of the aircraft from Europe.  Or maintenance.  Or maintenance that requires changing aircraft (sometimes with having to reissue EVERY boarding card due to a change in the configuation with the new aircraft), or weather holds departing, or .....

Of if there is a connection before the trans-Atlantic flight, and you miss the connection.

I have had ALL of these occur.  And have arrived from 3 hours to 24 hours late.

I said that it was a lousy decision.

But now the decision is made and hopefully the plane will arrive early, which is very common on eastbound transatlantic flights, and they get some extra time.

I have landed late too but most of my eastbound transatlantic flights has landed early.