Most Embarrassing Thing YOU have ever done

babs135

Okay, there are a number of threads about things other people have done, said, etc but what have YOU done that makes you still cringe with embarrassment?

On a ship excursion to the Elephant Park in Bali DH and I were sitting at the rear of the coach and, as usual, there were a couple of stops on the way.  Inevitably the coach was always waiting for stragglers and like others 'our little clique' were tutting very loudly as they boarded.  We arrived at the Park and it was amazing but (and you know what's coming next) after a while I glanced at my watch and to my horror realised that we should have been boarding the bus!  So we ran like two demented idiots, arrived at the coach with the guide pointedly looking at his watch, and boarded to a chorus of tutting and shaking of heads.  Never has a walk to the rear of a coach taken so long!!  

We did humbly apologise, but after that I've always made sure we are back at the coach in good time.

• Haha 1

On a Caribbean cruise on now-demised Ocean Village we independently went on the Rum-Runner party boat in (Grenada?). 

We've been on various Caribbean excursions many times when free rum cocktail was provided - always watered-down. 

So we knocked-back the rum on the Rum Runner, not realising that they weren't cheapskating on the rum. 

Got seriously well-oiled.

At the end of the excursion fellow-cruisers kindly dragged/carried us back to the ship & dumped us in our cabin. We slept through the sailaway - apparently a hoot cos sister-ship Ocean Village 2 was berthed alongside.

Unfortunately it turned out that the crew filming the cruise video (DVD?) were around, and it all ended up on the cruise video.

Because they could churn out as many copies as they wanted, we couldn't avoid the embarrassment by buying-up all the videos :classic_rolleyes:, so for the rest of the cruise we were getting knowing grins from other passengers. 

The moral.

Don't mess with the Rum-Runner :classic_biggrin: 

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We were on a party boat cruise.  They brought out the bowl of punch with a bottle or two (or three ... ) of rum next to it.  Ah.  Virgin punch.  Add your own rum.  WRONG.  My husband had to nearly carry me back to the ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jocap said:

Nothing really bad as yet, apart from the frequently trying to enter my cabin- right number, wrong deck...

I actually have dreams about that.  And we don't cruise a lot.

On boarding day went to check out cabin as soon as they were available luggage not yet delivered. All doors along the corridor were wedged open as stewards were apparently putting on finishing touches. After looking around, we went to introduce ourselves to our steward, then came back to our cabin to nap- it wasn’t our cabin,. and we were woken by a very surprised couple who found us snuggled sleepily on their bed

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

who found us snuggled sleepily on their bed

Oh my.  That is funny from my side but embarrassing to y'all.  Did you interact with them later on the cruise?

Was watching the show being put on by the production dancers and the house band in a Royal Promenade. We were having a little dance to the music as we had already had a few bevvies. Some guy walks up to my wife and I and gives us a key chain for no apparent reason. 5 minutes later he comes back and says we have won a behind the scenes tour, so we follow him and we end up on the walkway bridge above the promenade with the production dancers. We then have to do a dance off to some songs but while I like to dance to music, I cannot dance formally, really only what I call a eighties twostep.

Well the crowd is liking what my wife and I are doing so far and several other couples have been eliminated, we are down to just us and another couple. Well they dance up a storm, so when it is our turn, my wife starts to dance and I just start to strip off my Tuxedo jacket and whirl it about my head, throw it to the corner and start to undo the buttons on my shirt. We won. Now the embarrassing part, for the rest of the cruise, everyone would recognise us and congratulate us for the strip tease, and my face would redden and my wife would look at me like daggers. When debarking the CD had a surprise for us as well by announcing who we were and what we had done as we were leaving the ship. All I can say is if someone goes to give you a keychain for no reason at all, decline it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, jocap said:

Nothing really bad as yet, apart from the frequently trying to enter my cabin- right number, wrong deck...

We have sailed 3 times in the same cabin on the same ship, with 2 more booked.  I have decided, unless I can sail that cabin, I cannot sail that ship, as I would be trying to get into the wrong room.

We were joking about this with a couple on the last cruise.  They sailed 2 cruises in the same cabin, but were in the cabin next door this time.  And yes, she had tried several times to get into the wrong cabin. 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Was watching the show being put on by the production dancers and the house band in a Royal Promenade. We were having a little dance to the music as we had already had a few bevvies. Some guy walks up to my wife and I and gives us a key chain for no apparent reason. 5 minutes later he comes back and says we have won a behind the scenes tour, so we follow him and we end up on the walkway bridge above the promenade with the production dancers. We then have to do a dance off to some songs but while I like to dance to music, I cannot dance formally, really only what I call a eighties twostep.

Well the crowd is liking what my wife and I are doing so far and several other couples have been eliminated, we are down to just us and another couple. Well they dance up a storm, so when it is our turn, my wife starts to dance and I just start to strip off my Tuxedo jacket and whirl it about my head, throw it to the corner and start to undo the buttons on my shirt. We won. Now the embarrassing part, for the rest of the cruise, everyone would recognise us and congratulate us for the strip tease, and my face would redden and my wife would look at me like daggers. When debarking the CD had a surprise for us as well by announcing who we were and what we had done as we were leaving the ship. All I can say is if someone goes to give you a keychain for no reason at all, decline it.

We were not on a cruise, but a smallish (200 people) profession conference.  One evening was a group dinner with entertainment.

They had a German band.  My wife (at the time) and I had been dancing a good bit with friends at a local German place so could do a fair waltz and polka, and of course the Chicken Dance.

Now, this was the first time we had attended the conference.  Next day, EVERYONE knew who we were. 😄

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SRF said:

We have sailed 3 times in the same cabin on the same ship, with 2 more booked.  I have decided, unless I can sail that cabin, I cannot sail that ship, as I would be trying to get into the wrong room.

We were joking about this with a couple on the last cruise.  They sailed 2 cruises in the same cabin, but were in the cabin next door this time.  And yes, she had tried several times to get into the wrong cabin. 😄

We have never had the issue of getting rooms confused. But we do sometimes forget to buy a future cruise credit.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

We have never had the issue of getting rooms confused. But we do sometimes forget to buy a future cruise credit.

I have had the issue in hotels.   Back to back to back stays. Not in finding the room, but when asked or needed to sign a bill, I have had to stop and think.

Like right now, I am in room 407.  I just spend 8 nights in 481 in a different hotel in a different country.

Luckily my most embarrassing moment hasn't happened yet!  So far, though, it would have to be the time I was knocking loudly and insistently on my friends cabin door, who was to join me for an early breakfast.  Imagine my surprise when someone else answered the door, none too happy to have been woken up like that!  Yup, I was banging on the wrong door.  Right number, wrong floor.  And yes, I saw them around the ship several times after that.

58 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

Imagine my surprise when someone else answered the door, none too happy to have been woken up like that!  Yup, I was banging on the wrong door.  Right number, wrong floor.  And yes, I saw them around the ship several times after that.

I suppose this is why whenever one of those contentious door decorating threads starts, some say "I do it so I can find my cabin".  In this case, the friend's cabin. 

I retired from the hotel business, and as we so often noted, people tend to leave their brains home when they go on vacation.  It's a common malady. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On a celebrity cruise we went to the martini bar, had 2 martini drinks each, on an empty stomach.... by the time we finished the 2nd one, it was clear we had too much to drink.  This surprised us because at home we make a batch of martini drinks and drink while eating, never feel like we have had too much.  We went off to dinner, had a glass of wine with dinner...but took it slow, realizing we had too much.  By the time we finished dinner, we were feeling better, had some coffee... asked the waiter about a brandy but decided to pass on it.  Next day I was checking our bill, found we were charged for the brandy we never drank....we also found, we had been charged for drinks in another bar besides the martini bar, at the very same time... like we could be in too places as the same time.  With the extra charges on our bill, we wondered, what was in those 2 martini drinks we did drink?   I reported the charges we felt were not ours, but it left us wondering... if there was some hanky panky by staff knowing we had had too much to drink, thinking we would not know the difference.  We were not that drunk.   We decided not to ever do two martini drinks away from home.   When we mix them ourselves we are just fine.  

56 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You realize, of course, that the longer you put it off the more embarrassing it is likely to be.

The thought had crossed my mind.  I actually hope my most embarrassing moment is a piece of food stuck in my teeth, in my casket! 😁😬

18 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

The thought had crossed my mind.  I actually hope my most embarrassing moment is a piece of food stuck in my teeth, in my casket! 😁😬

I guess that's better than a booger hanging out of your nose. :classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

First cruise. SS Norway. International deck where midnight buffets with carving stations, food selections as far as your eyes can see, desserts galore and beautiful colored ice sculptures all aglow. Tables with all these delights line the center of the deck from forward to aft. Ship photographers taking pictures everywhere. Hmmm..those ice sculptures certainly are beautiful and seem to be all colors of fruit. Wonder if they TASTE fruity? OOHHH...look at this long, red, flames- a- flying 5 ft Dragon! Strawberry maybe? Perhaps cherry. A well on her way to slap happy and inebriated me decides to lick that Dragon from head to tail as the ship photographers snap away. The next day all of those candid, free spirited pictures were developed and on display in the photo department! For the remainder of the cruise I was known as The Dragon Licker!

Edited by MamaTene
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, MamaTene said:

First cruise. SS Norway. International deck where midnight buffets with carving stations, food selections as far as your eyes can see, desserts galore and beautiful colored ice sculptures all aglow. Tables with all these delights line the center of the deck from forward to aft. Ship photographers taking pictures everywhere. Hmmm..those ice sculptures certainly are beautiful and seem to be all colors of fruit. Wonder if they TASTE fruity? OOHHH...look at this long, red, flames- a- flying 5 ft Dragon! Strawberry maybe? Perhaps cherry. A well on her way to slap happy and inebriated me decides to lick that Dragon from head to tail as the ship photographers snap away. The next day all of those candid, free spirited pictures were developed and on display in the photo department! For the remainder of the cruise I was known as The Dragon Licker!

LOl, and WOW, that beats my moment.