Questions - returning after 10 years

Xcelsior

Hello - haven't sailed with AZ since a great 18 night SE Asia cruise in December 2008 for a Xmas and NYE.  Our favorite cruise ever, so we are looking forward to the coming cruise this Xmas on the Quest.    I've been reading the threads but am confused on the beverage packages - we usually sail Celebrity and upgrade to the Premium package because we like a good selection of wines, martinis, bottled water and specialty coffees.  Honestly, if it wasn't for the non-alcoholic inclusions of lattes and waters (pellegrino and still) i'm not sure it would be worth our while.....but I'm seeking the equivalen ton Azamara.  Do we need to get the ultimate package to get lattes and pellegrino included? Also confused if you get a larger of selection of wines on the premium package. Anyone who could answer these questions I would greatly appreciate.  I find the AZ beverage packages extremely confusing.

thanks so much.

You get Lattes included without a package, you get bottled still and sparkling water without a package but if you like water more carbonated like San Pellegrino you need the package. 

You can choose the package only for one person if (like with me and my wife) one like to have better wines and something "nice" with your coffee after dinner or port with chees as dessert.

If it is only for the coffee you don't need it because the special coffee in Mosaic is included and the machine's in windows also have very good coffee.

The ultimate package includes better wines and champagne, along with top shelf spirits.  Also a larger beer selection.  We’ve had the ultimate the last three cruises, and will continue to purchase it.

• Like 1

Thank you all for this information - you answered my questions.  If lattes and bottled water are included then I don't think I'm going to bother to upgrade.  Of course if I feel like I"m limited in choice or not liking the wines offered, it's my understanding I can do the upgrade at any point during the cruise anyway...which is fantastic.  Appreciate everyone's help in clarifying!

My experience on several cruise lines is that it is never worth it (for me, anyway) to buy a package just to get better wine.  You get an even better selection by buying wine by the bottle and having the hotel staff save the open bottle for you until the next night.  But on Azamara I didn't even have to do that, because the choice of 2 reds and 2 whites could be expanded by include selections from other days.  I never had trouble finding something I liked.  

• Like 1

I may be incorrect, but when I went through the list of included cocktails I did not see martini or cosmopolitan.  Do we have to upgrade to get these drinks?  Also, if we are in a suite and we upgrade to the ultimate package, can our butler also upgrade the bottles that are in our suite?  Thanks.

1.  A cosmopolitan is not included in the list IF you want a proper one.  Otherwise you can get a version made with the included drinks.  Martinis are available so long as they can be made with included drinks, which the bar tenders are good at.

2.  No the butler cannot upgrade the brands of the bottles in the suite

Just off a pair of Pursuit cruises; DH likes sparkling water.  The usual pour was never sufficiently sparkling for his taste (our young grandson refers to this as 'spicy water'), and so he took to requesting a can of cold club soda - to be opened at table.  Worked well for him and eventually the servers recognized him, making the request an easy process for all.

By the end of our Greek Intensive 10 night cruise, I'd gone through an involuntary intervention as regards the included wines.  Some nights the reds were so awful, I had to leave the glass after a few sips.  Granted, it was boiling hot but to serve hot red wine is just wrong.

Next cruise was better; I was familiar with the bottles and had learned which servers were willing to seek out prior (or future) offerings.  As an aside, I don't do mixed drinks so wines were my quaff of choice.

7 minutes ago, Lady's Mom said:

uktog:

Since you are from Edinburgh, what restaurant would you suggest before going to the fringe festival in the evening?  Thanks/

I am - wow a very difficult question - suggest to avoid the wrath of the moderator, ask on a new thread and can you give me a rough idea of likes and budget.  If its during the Festival you will need a booking so I will consider ones you can book through Open Table.  We have everything from Michelin stars to local brasseries

There are carton fruit juices and they will make crushed ice mixes with them but I found them way too sweet.  I have to say I was very disappointed at the choice of soft drinks; only coke, Diet Coke or sprite.  No Fanta orange or lemon.  I just think at a time when we know we should limit alcohol; the options are poor.  In an ideal world, you should be able to order coffees, frappes at the bar. 

• Like 1

So much has changed since 2008. Azamara keeps trying to reinvent themselves. In 2009 we took our first Azamara cruise...14 nights Barcelona to Copenhagen.  It was excellent. It didn’t include tips, wine, liquor, Azamazing event, etc. it was a basic cruise, at a fair price with a crew that was friendly and helpful. The crew hasn’t changed. Most things have changed...some good, some bad.  When they first started including wine in 2010, the wines were very good.  Unfortunately, the wines now are awful. One sip and I left most.  Bring your own. After a few days, I started noticing people carrying bottles of wine to dinner.  It looked strange.  When they started to include liquor, you could get most drinks no surcharge. Now there are 2 levels of upgraded brands. The included drinks are fine with me. I like diet or zero drinks...sprite or coke. My spouse did order a few drinks that had a surcharge. If you are a drinker, you may want to look into a beverage package. Azamazing evening can vary depending upon location. I have been to good and not so good. Toiletries have changed several times. I now bring my own. Cabins are still small, but nicely arranged. Beck in 2008, it was Azamara Cruises. A few years later, it became Azamara Club Cruises. Last month it became Azamara. The loyalty club which matches a Celebrity in points does not match in benefits. They cut back on WiFi and laundry. Still enjoying cruising with Azamara.

15 hours ago, Xcelsior said:

Thank you all for this information - you answered my questions.  If lattes and bottled water are included then I don't think I'm going to bother to upgrade.  Of course if I feel like I"m limited in choice or not liking the wines offered, it's my understanding I can do the upgrade at any point during the cruise anyway...which is fantastic.  Appreciate everyone's help in clarifying!

That is probably the best option for you...to upgrade later if you wish. Or purchase your preferred wine by the glass. Or purchase a bottle of your preferred wine and ask the waiter to store it with your stateroom number so you can enjoy it over the course of a couple evenings at whichever venue you choose. Or ask the waiter to send the partial bottle to your stateroom to finish at your leisure, such as on your balcony prior to next night's dinner.

8 hours ago, Redtravel said:

So much has changed since 2008. Azamara keeps trying to reinvent themselves. In 2009 we took our first Azamara cruise...14 nights Barcelona to Copenhagen.  It was excellent. It didn’t include tips, wine, liquor, Azamazing event, etc. it was a basic cruise, at a fair price with a crew that was friendly and helpful. The crew hasn’t changed. Most things have changed...some good, some bad.  When they first started including wine in 2010, the wines were very good.  Unfortunately, the wines now are awful. One sip and I left most.  Bring your own. After a few days, I started noticing people carrying bottles of wine to dinner.  It looked strange.  When they started to include liquor, you could get most drinks no surcharge. Now there are 2 levels of upgraded brands. The included drinks are fine with me. I like diet or zero drinks...sprite or coke. My spouse did order a few drinks that had a surcharge. If you are a drinker, you may want to look into a beverage package. Azamazing evening can vary depending upon location. I have been to good and not so good. Toiletries have changed several times. I now bring my own. Cabins are still small, but nicely arranged. Beck in 2008, it was Azamara Cruises. A few years later, it became Azamara Club Cruises. Last month it became Azamara. The loyalty club which matches a Celebrity in points does not match in benefits. They cut back on WiFi and laundry. Still enjoying cruising with Azamara.

Thanks so much for your insight.  Will definitely be comparing to our previous experience which was excellent.

7 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

That is probably the best option for you...to upgrade later if you wish. Or purchase your preferred wine by the glass. Or purchase a bottle of your preferred wine and ask the waiter to store it with your stateroom number so you can enjoy it over the course of a couple evenings at whichever venue you choose. Or ask the waiter to send the partial bottle to your stateroom to finish at your leisure, such as on your balcony prior to next night's dinner.

Bonnie,

if one purchases the Indulgence package, which includes the Ultimate beverage package, are all wines only by the glass?  Is there any discount on a bottles of wine? If not, it would seem like a disincentive to purchase a beverage package

7 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Thank you Bonnie. Appreciate it.

4 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Bonnie,

if one purchases the Indulgence package, which includes the Ultimate beverage package, are all wines only by the glass?  Is there any discount on a bottles of wine? If not, it would seem like a disincentive to purchase a beverage package

On our last cruise we had dinner several times with people who had the ultimate package. On each occasion they had wine by the glass.