Questions - returning after 10 years

Xcelsior

14 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

That is probably the best option for you...to upgrade later if you wish. Or purchase your preferred wine by the glass. Or purchase a bottle of your preferred wine and ask the waiter to store it with your stateroom number so you can enjoy it over the course of a couple evenings at whichever venue you choose. Or ask the waiter to send the partial bottle to your stateroom to finish at your leisure, such as on your balcony prior to next night's dinner.

In my opinion once wine is open it needs drinking.

Its never that same the following day even when using a special device to expel the air and cork it, they are unlikely to do that.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

Try the wines on offer. If you dislike try others on offer. 

Ask for club soda as sparkling water is a misnomer. 

Talk to the sommelier who will be happy to suggest other included options.

If after a couple of days you  don't enjoy then upgrade

The crew all aim to please. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Bonnie,

if one purchases the Indulgence package, which includes the Ultimate beverage package, are all wines only by the glass?  Is there any discount on a bottles of wine? If not, it would seem like a disincentive to purchase a beverage package

Hi SoBaycruiser,

yes, all wines in our beverage packages are by the glass. 

I have seen a special offer on bottles of wines but am not sure if that was a one-off.

1 hour ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi SoBaycruiser,

yes, all wines in our beverage packages are by the glass. 

I have seen a special offer on bottles of wines but am not sure if that was a one-off.

I have seen offers on bin end wines which were good value, not sure how often that happens, it's worth asking the sommelier.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Its never that same the following day even when using a special device to expel the air and cork it, they are unlikely to do that.

I think this is a matter of opinion and dare I say that wine snobbery has something to do with it. From my experience I don't even notice a difference between day 1 and say day 3. I've done it on cruises many times. True, if I was paying $200 for a bottle I might concern myself, but don't have an issue with what I spend. I do it at home too. White and red wine in the fridge. Keeps three days no problem.  Bring the red out an hour before drinking. 

Phil 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I think this is a matter of opinion and dare I say that wine snobbery has something to do with it. From my experience I don't even notice a difference between day 1 and say day 3. I've done it on cruises many times. True, if I was paying $200 for a bottle I might concern myself, but don't have an issue with what I spend. I do it at home too. White and red wine in the fridge. Keeps three days no problem.  Bring the red out an hour before drinking. 

Phil 

I did say that it was my opinion, that remains the same, of course you are entitled to yours.

16 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Some younger wines actually improve after being opened for a day, mellowing out the tannins and rough edges.

6 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I found an interesting little article about how well different types of wine stand up to being open for a while

https://winefolly.com/tutorial/how-long-does-an-open-bottle-of-wine-last/

That's is very interesting, my opinion is still once opened drink it , we only drink the occasional bottle at home.

Two of us can soon polish off the bottle but I can understand keeping it for another day if you are on your own.

18 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

That's is very interesting, my opinion is still once opened drink it , we only drink the occasional bottle at home.

Two of us can soon polish off the bottle but I can understand keeping it for another day if you are on your own.

Or if you like different types of wine. I like fruity whites like New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, he likes either a light red (Pinot Noir etc) or a very dry white like Muscadet, Chablis etc, so we very very rarely share a bottle. I rarely drink more than 2 glasses at one sitting (I’m a lightweight!) so a bottle lasts me 3 days.

17 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Or if you like different types of wine. I like fruity whites like New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, he likes either a light red (Pinot Noir etc) or a very dry white like Muscadet, Chablis etc, so we very very rarely share a bottle. I rarely drink more than 2 glasses at one sitting (I’m a lightweight!) so a bottle lasts me 3 days.

I guess everyones circumstance is different, its certainly drinking weather at the moment.

Cheers Grandma 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 3:49 AM, manc said:

Ask for club soda as sparkling water is a misnomer. 

The crew all aim to please. 

Yes, it was our experience this past month that most of the servers aim to please.

They, however, consistently asked if we wanted "sparkling water, or still."  This is precisely why I suggested requesting a can of cold club soda - to prevent the servers running back and forth with their opened bottle of "sparkling" water.

Just a suggestion -

We may be using sparkling water in different ways.  If I want sparkling water instead of still water with my dinner then I have no problem with the server using a large bottle of water.  However, if I want soda with my scotch, then I want a can of cold club soda.  I will be happy enough if Azamara offers sparkling water at all with the basic offerings since many cruise lines just give still water automatically.

Currently on Pursuit and I have noticed on this cruise that there are no big bottles of sparkling water used. Just the small individual bottles and generally they pour half and leave the rest on your table for you to top up. 

While this may use more small plastic bottles, the sparkling water still has "sparkles" in it, which was certainly not always the case with the larger bottles. It tended to go flat quickly when open. 

Not sure if this is another of those 'two peoples separated by a common language' things.  In the US, 'Club Soda' has lots of salt – I avoid that because I don't like the taste.  'Seltzer' (which also comes in cans) is sparkling water without salt.  Then there is 'sparkling water' (e.g. Pellegrino) which used to come from springs that that the bubbles naturally but now more often means still spring water with carbonation added.

Currently on Pursuit and the included wines are by no means "awful". Yes, they are not vintage wines but I can always find something I like. The Chianti and Pinot Noir are good  enough reds and I enjoy the Sauvignon Blanc and Rose at lunchtime. My personal advice is stay away from the Perequita Portuguese wines but I know some people like them. 

I am having a wonderful time on Pursuit and have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The standard sparkling water on Azamara I've experienced is awful. No fizz.  If it's the stuff in a slightly greenish bottle. 

Phil 

They brought a new brand on Journey in Barcelona in May that was fine. The stuff with the red label was awful 

22 hours ago, Lottie A said:

Currently on Pursuit and I have noticed on this cruise that there are no big bottles of sparkling water used. Just the small individual bottles and generally they pour half and leave the rest on your table for you to top up. 

While this may use more small plastic bottles, the sparkling water still has "sparkles" in it, which was certainly not always the case with the larger bottles. It tended to go flat quickly when open. 

We recently sailed on Celebrity for the first time, and I had asked for sparkling water one evening for dinner.  They brought the very large bottle of San Pellegrino and left it on the table for me, which I felt was such a waste because I couldn't drink it all.  I didn't ask for it after that.  Glad to know there are smaller bottles on Azamara now.