Caribbean Princess starting on July 27

CruiseVA

46 minutes ago, 1stCruiser said:

Overall, the « Ocean » experience is something I could do without. I like the use of the medallion instead of the cruise card, but must we have all those bright blue screens with our picture popping up every time we walk by? Just my opinion...

It's a good reason to use the Ocean app to change your photo before you even board. :classic_laugh:

42 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Here’s the breakdown for this sailing.

Blue: 868

Gold: 371

Ruby: 377

Platinum: 815

Elite: 556

I'll bet the cutoff for the MT function is on the high side this cruise. :classic_biggrin:

We caught some most ot the tecincal presentation by an engineer, quite interesting.He took questions at the end, guess what the 1st question was. He started by saying, "There was no murder!" LOL, there was a 'critical matter', something (he explained in detail what that something was) caused an engine misfire, which cause an unknown (at the time) source of smoke. Thus the announcement. Once they discovered the cause, they announced all clear.  Contrary to someone who couldn't wait to post something over the Facebook Princess Elite page, there was no loss of power.  That group get's out of control, there is some woman on there that really really hates the CB, she took that as an opportunity to most more about CB & constant power outages, how we're lucky we're still moving, blah, blah, blah...

1 hour ago, CruiseVA said:

We caught some most ot the tecincal presentation by an engineer, quite interesting.He took questions at the end, guess what the 1st question was. He started by saying, "There was no murder!" LOL, there was a 'critical matter', something (he explained in detail what that something was) caused an engine misfire, which cause an unknown (at the time) source of smoke. Thus the announcement. Once they discovered the cause, they announced all clear.  Contrary to someone who couldn't wait to post something over the Facebook Princess Elite page, there was no loss of power.  That group get's out of control, there is some woman on there that really really hates the CB, she took that as an opportunity to most more about CB & constant power outages, how we're lucky we're still moving, blah, blah, blah...

An engineer q&a sounds cool. I still like the idea of the murder mystery cruise though 😂

Edited by Jeter02
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

The WiFi router is working great, it's the only way I can connect my laptop for some reason. I have issues with any weird internet logins etc... I connect my phone when I'm out & about, but in the cabin I use the WiFi router - it just works. I just tried watching a Netflix show for about 10 secs, no issue at all!  i did not bring my chromecast, just watched on my laptop.

Thank you for the insight.  Given me a ton of peace of mind.  We're planning to binge a lot for those couple of weeks on board.  We always seem to run out of things to watch in the evenings, especially when they recycle shows.

• Like 1

My kvetch(s) of the day:

1. Ocean Now app clearly noted that everything in today’s dining room rummage sale, was $10, just like yesterday. My wife snagged 2 hoodies that were marked down to $26, expecting them for $10. There was a long line to check out, and quite a few confused passengers as to the price of everything. When I asked a clerk, she stated that prices were as marked. When I showed her the listing on the app, she said it was a mistake. When I asked her to see that they change the wording, she looked at me like I had a third eye, but she did run to a phone to inform management. 
  2. There’s a stir fry station at the back of the buffet during lunch, and it was an absolute cluster *%#€ today. Orders were backed up all over the place. A gentleman brought back his stir fry and said that they gave him the wrong order. They then gave his returned food to another passenger instead of tossing it in the trash. After seeing this, we informed the nearest manager and ate elsewhere.
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It's a good reason to use the Ocean app to change your photo before you even board. :classic_laugh:

My cat was my photo...I thought it was great seeing it pop up every time I walked by a screen.

53 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

They then gave his returned food to another passenger instead of tossing it in the trash. After seeing this, we informed the nearest manager and ate elsewhere.

This is only what you see out front. Who knows what they do behind the scenes.

DR included. :classic_laugh:

Just a few random observations up to now:

Straws, tooth picks, mints after dinner and the celebration balloons are missing.

My last few cruises were on Royal/Regal and now I found Piazza small and crowded, but I am definitely enjoying the promenade deck.

I noticed that the main piazza stairs between decks 6 and 7 are carpeted. 

There is no port presentation live or on tv. 

The afternoons tea is not a pattern listed event; however it appears on the last page of the patter among the dining venues.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pansy2801 said:

Straws, tooth picks, mints after dinner and the celebration balloons are missing.

Did you bother to ask for a straw, tooth pick or mint or just observe that they were missing?

13 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Did you bother to ask for a straw, tooth pick or mint or just observe that they were missing?

I did ask our head waiter after not seeing them and was told that these are part of the changes made by Princess recently. I also asked our steward about balloons as I did not see any at doors.  Today I received a paper straw when I requested one.  

2 minutes ago, Pansy2801 said:

I did ask our head waiter after not seeing them and was told that these are part of the changes made by Princess recently. I also asked our steward about balloons as I did not see any at doors.  Today I received a paper straw when I requested one.  

I had balloons  on my cabin door, during my CB sailing 3 weeks ago.

We've had excellent service in the Palm dining room (Traditional); sorry to hear it's been iffy in the AD room(s).   And I agree about Crooner's being a poor reflection of how it is on the newer (starting with the Crown) ships.  Plus, the entertainer on our voyage was definitely having an off night last night:  long periods of silence as he searched his iPad for a song and then singing way off-key and flat.  But then I cut him some slack since he has this crazy woman fan stalking him.  Last night she drew up a chair right next to the piano.  By the end of the week, I expect to see her in his lap.  

This afternoon we had flyovers by a couple of Navy fighter planes, which was excitingly loud and very fun to see.  We sailed by a carrier, and two attendant ships, what kind I do not know.  The weather was nearly perfect today:  sunny, breezy, no humidity.  It's been way too calm -- I want some bumpiness!!!  The bed is stupid comfortable, and getting up this morning was a struggle:  which may or may not have had anything to do with being up dancing in Skywalker's until the wee small hours  . . . 

I think the average age onboard is quite old; wonder if that's why dining times were moved up, so people could dine before the Grim Reaper carries them off . . .  

Tonight's entertainment was Troy Threadsomething (Threadgill?  Threadbare?).  He was pretty funny, but as seems to be par for the course on this sailing, Club Fusion was jampacked full by 20 minutes before his late show began.  Tomorrow night's show is Broadway music, which I'm looking forward to.  I plan to get there by 3pm.  

My team won trivia yesterday but only came in second today.  Your bonus trivia answer of the day is "water."  Good luck!  

Oh, and the most important bit of news:  the cabin has a barrel chair!  I was extremely excited to see it and have sat in it as often as possible. 

Medallion update:  I continue to have a long pause before the screen recognizes me and deigns to unlock my door.  At dinner, the assistant waiter was unable to sell me a bottle of wine and had to resort to a written ticket.  And, most pressingly, I have been so far unable to buy laundry tokens with the medallion, which the computer fails to recognize when presented and pressed upon the blue circle; instead defaulting back to the "Welcome; Pick a Language screen."  I'm meeting my cousin out for lunch at Per Se in Manhattan tomorrow; I may ask if we can instead lunch in her flat so that I can do a load of laundry. . .   

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Pansy2801 said:

I can certainly live without the balloons but now it's the toothpicks?

Looks like I'll have to add that to my list of items to bring along....with my own plastic straws. 

What's next?:classic_sad: 

Maybe no more lids for the coffee cups or plastic cups for the cold blends? 

9 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

But then I cut him some slack since he has this crazy woman fan stalking him.  Last night she drew up a chair right next to the piano.  By the end of the week, I expect to see her in his lap.  

did she have her own music and want to sing ???:classic_wacko:

10 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

We've had excellent service in the Palm dining room (Traditional); sorry to hear it's been iffy in the AD room(s).   

We currently are confirmed for dinner in the Palm dining room and 7:15 so it was reassuring to read your comment about it. Are you able to get a seat for the shows that start at 9:00pm?

10 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

Medallion update:  I continue to have a long pause before the screen recognizes me and deigns to unlock my door.  At dinner, the assistant waiter was unable to sell me a bottle of wine and had to resort to a written ticket.  And, most pressingly, I have been so far unable to buy laundry tokens with the medallion, which the computer fails to recognize when presented and pressed upon the blue circle; instead defaulting back to the "Welcome; Pick a Language screen."  I'm meeting my cousin out for lunch at Per Se in Manhattan tomorrow; I may ask if we can instead lunch in her flat so that I can do a load of laundry. . .   

I experienced the long pause as well on the CB.

I also had token problems on Caribe, but when I went upstairs it worked fine--could be the machine? Later that day, I was able to use the token machine on Caribe and another passenger said that someone had come to fix it.

2 minutes ago, Mapu said:

We currently are confirmed for dinner in the Palm dining room and 7:15 so it was reassuring to read your comment about it. Are you able to get a seat for the shows that start at 9:00pm?

are you at a 2-top?  if so, tell your waiter(s) and they may be able to reduce the time between courses...

we were in and out one time , on a 'formal night' in about 1 hour