Were your manners left behind at the last port?

kmeeker

I love cruising! I feel fortunate to do so and we try to be very patient and easy going! I mean it is vacation. 

However, by the last couple of days of this past cruise, I was completely over "RUDE" people and the fact they were sharing their behaviors with their children. 

Overall, we met great people and great kids, but there were several people that made you wonder where on earth they were brought up and got the idea that they are so much more important than other people. Entitlement much? 

I think my biggest issue is those that pass an entire line of people with their kids and try to move to the front! Maybe, it's the people that are vulgar and it's not their problem other people's children are in earshot? Or perhaps, it's the disrespect I saw shown to some of the crew! We watched a table of teens dump the salt and pepper shakers on the table with their parents laughing?? REALLY? Who do you think will have to clean that up? Not to mention the sanitary reasons for using the shakers appropriately. Ugh!! 

Like I said, I love cruising, but as in my real life at home, I marvel at the lack of manners in some grown people! Tell me it isn't just me that sees it??

• Like 2

Pardon the pun but you must take it with a grain of salt. I totally agree with you and that is one great reason not to cruise when school is out and during spring break. Cost of a cruise is usually less also. There are parents that have excellent well behaved children and then you have the opposite. Not much you can do about it. One thing to remember. The crew has to put up with it every day and still try to smile.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Pardon the pun but you must take it with a grain of salt. I totally agree with you and that is one great reason not to cruise when school is out and during spring break. Cost of a cruise is usually less also. There are parents that have excellent well behaved children and then you have the opposite. Not much you can do about it. One thing to remember. The crew has to put up with it every day and still try to smile.

Yes! The crew are definitely to be commended. As for the time of year we sail, for the next 12 years, that is job related! LOL

9 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

You also have children with well behaved parents and then you have the opposite.

Currently on the Ovation, and the rugrat numbers are high.  Even in the Coastal Kitchen, parents do not do a thing as their kids run around and yell.  Saw one throw a spoon at their brother and the parents did not do or say a thing.  Try not to cruise in the summer, but if you want to do Alaska you do not have much of a choice.

14 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

This is not particularly a kid issue. I have seen “entitled” adult behavior too. 

Absolutely the the adults feel entitled not to have to control their kids. It’s their vacation. 

• Like 2

I witnessed some very obnoxious behavior on HOTS two weeks ago.   I really don't understand it at all.

I would never act like some of those people did.

Unfortunately there is not much anyone can do about it.😬

1 hour ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Currently on the Ovation, and the rugrat numbers are high.  Even in the Coastal Kitchen, parents do not do a thing as their kids run around and yell.  Saw one throw a spoon at their brother and the parents did not do or say a thing.  Try not to cruise in the summer, but if you want to do Alaska you do not have much of a choice.

Land a few posts down from this one it was stated this not only happens on ships. Yes, I am a bit older however my children and now their children are and were brought up w/manners.  There’s no running around in any restaurant no matter where it is!  I’m really glad to see this post because I always feel so alone feeling the  way I do.  “Entitlement “ seems to be a way of life today, so very sad in my opinion.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

OT...welcome home brother. ✌️

Hehe.....try being on the other side of the equation ;).

Like that time we sailed star....ported in Boston so had to clear customs on the ship...and our Genie asked us what time we wanted to do customs and then met us as the restaurant and proceeded to walked us past 2,000 people to the front of the line.

AWKWARD  😉

Edited by dodgestang

2 hours ago, kmeeker said:

I marvel at the lack of manners in some grown people! Tell me it isn't just me that sees it??

Oh, it's totally not you.  And it's certainly not just on cruise ships.  Far from it.  I also wonder how the parents were raised.  Thanks for speaking out.

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Not much you can do about it.

See, I disagree.  I think one can, oh so sweetly, say "do you understand that you're being a bit rude?"  You should see me when kids kick the back of my airplane seat!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, while you can plan around kids and school vacations if you're lucky, obnoxious and entitled adults are encountered year-round. I try to remember the saying "You can't change other people's behavior, only the way you react to that behavior". If it isn't affecting me directly, or putting someone else's safety at risk, I try not to let some idiot's actions upset me. Oh, I'll judge them alright. And perhaps wish them a speedy visit by karma. Mostly, it's a good reminder to myself not to be THAT person.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, pattiea said:

Land a few posts down from this one it was stated this not only happens on ships. Yes, I am a bit older however my children and now their children are and were brought up w/manners.  There’s no running around in any restaurant no matter where it is!  I’m really glad to see this post because I always feel so alone feeling the  way I do.  “Entitlement “ seems to be a way of life today, so very sad in my opinion.

Brought up with manners -- Yes!!   I recall someone here on CC saying they would not expect their children to give up a bus seat for an elderly person.  Kind of like, "not my problem".    That kind of attitude is just sad.   

• Like 3

While those cruising with children may not want to exercise this option, the other alternative to reduce the risk of this type of situation is to look at cruise lines that cater to a more adult demographic.  As comparison, for instance, while RCI caters primarily to families with all of the activities and entertainment venues geared towards that market, Celebrity does not, and offers more a traditional cruising environment targeted more at adults not traveling with children. 

When our family was young and was with us on most of our cruises, we chose RCI for that reason.  Now as they are all adults and we typically cruise alone, we choose Celebrity for that reason.  Or if we choose RCI it typically is one that would not be a prime family itinerary or time.  Again, I realize this may not be an option for those traveling with their family, but in our situation it works for us.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

9 hours ago, mom says said:

Unfortunately, while you can plan around kids and school vacations if you're lucky, obnoxious and entitled adults are encountered year-round. I try to remember the saying "You can't change other people's behavior, only the way you react to that behavior". If it isn't affecting me directly, or putting someone else's safety at risk, I try not to let some idiot's actions upset me. Oh, I'll judge them alright. And perhaps wish them a speedy visit by karma. Mostly, it's a good reminder to myself not to be THAT person.

That was exactly the lesson I gave my kids when they were growing up.  I would always point out the kids or adults acting inappropriately and told them don't be "THAT person"  look how embarrassing they are not only to themselves but every one else around them.  Worked like a charm with my kids 😉.  The one thing they absolutely hated doing their entire childhood was bringing negative attention to themselves so they avoided it like the plague.  While I never had any issue with them regarding bad behavior, I received a lot of compliments on their good behavior.

My tolerance level to that type of behavior has gone down over the years and I try to stay or look away.  I find people leave their manners or lose all concept of how to act in public when they are on vacation.   Then again, some are like this on a daily basis of their entire life.   The worst for me are the ones that just let their kids do whatever they want and think it's okay to do.  Seriously!! Look after your kids if you decide to bring them with you.

Not a new complaint:

AUTHOR: Socrates (469–399 B.C.)
QUOTATION: The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

Brought up with manners -- Yes!!   I recall someone here on CC saying they would not expect their children to give up a bus seat for an elderly person.  Kind of like, "not my problem".    That kind of attitude is just sad.   

I'm always surprised when an adult man won't give up their seat for an elderly person.  I was at the Rome airport once and an airline employee was pushing an elderly lady in a wheelchair and asking if seats were taken, as they had belongings on it, of course, everyone said they were and no one offered to get up for the lady, so the employee could take the wheelchair back to use for others.  Once he asked everone, I got up and maybe too loudly said "Here, please have my seat since none of these so called gentlemen have the manners to give up their seat for a lady".  Funny after I said that and gave up my seat, four men came over and offered me their seat, but of course, I told them that I was a lot younger than the lady in the wheelchair and I thought since they wouldn't give it up for her they need not give it up for me, so I would decline their offer.  

• Like 11