Door decoration ban

drvmywifecrzy

Does this mean that I cannot leave an invitation to a Cruise Critic function in the "mail slot" beside the door?

If so, can I complain when the "b....... art mob" leave unwanted fliers in it?

Does it also mean that a steward is unable to leave a FD there if there is a Do Not Disturb notice?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Does this mean that I cannot leave an invitation to a Cruise Critic function in the "mail slot" beside the door?

If so, can I complain when the "b....... art mob" leave unwanted fliers in it?

Does it also mean that a steward is unable to leave a FD there if there is a Do Not Disturb notice?

Nothing anywhere that I’ve seen about notes in the mail slot, it’s about door decorating.

28 minutes ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

Most people appreciate how much nicer and more upscale the new ships and refurbished ships look to enhance the ambience on board. And at the same time making hall ways look like ***** with tacky door decorations. If you like decorating stuff you don't own get a job in that field. 

It’s NCL, equivalent to Carnival. Don’t act like the ships are some innovative masterpieces, LOL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lots of people excited by this topic. Just understand this this rule is in place the same way as the rules to not leave a chair unattended for 30/60 minutes, no seat saving the theater, no children in the adult pool, no running in the halls and many other rules that are enforced all of the time on NCL.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Celebrity Equinox has a lawn.  

Mainly just messing around with your comments...they do come across as just a bit grumpy.  🙂

I knew one of them had a lawn, couldn't remember! I'm pretty snarky so I don't mind getting snark back, it makes the board fun!

18 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

Hmmm.  I guess you never decorate the outside of your house for a holiday?  Nary a Christmas or Hannukah door decoration?  Nothing for Halloween?  Nothing for Easter or Passover?  Jeesh-how boring.  Anyway, for you probably  a cruise cabin is a hotel room for your brief vacation.  For others, it may be their home away from home.  Spending 6 to 8 weeks or more on a ship, our cabin becomes our home, and we treat it like that.  So I decorate.

6 to 8 weeks? Do you have your mail forwarded to you as well? Congrats, btw that's a lifestyle many would envy.

And yeah of course decorating your house is different, you own your house. People don't walk literally 2 feet from my front door every single day on their way to work. If you're in an apartment complex (which is a much better analogy) or a hotel room, many of them have very specific rules about door decorating or outright disallow it. I don't see why the cruise lines are any different.

• Like 2

Have our own house, but I know that there are many apartments that would permit door decor.  We love sailing on NCL;in future will not decorate the door if that is their rule.  Yes, we spend half the year on cruises.  We do not have mailed forwarded as we have no need.  Bills and everything are done online.  Great retirement!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Paelos said:

6 to 8 weeks? Do you have your mail forwarded to you as well? Congrats, btw that's a lifestyle many would envy.

And yeah of course decorating your house is different, you own your house. People don't walk literally 2 feet from my front door every single day on their way to work. If you're in an apartment complex (which is a much better analogy) or a hotel room, many of them have very specific rules about door decorating or outright disallow it. I don't see why the cruise lines are any different.

Wow LITERALLY? That is very impressive and makes a huge difference! 😑

16 hours ago, newbe dave said:

Lots of people excited by this topic. Just understand this this rule is in place the same way as the rules to not leave a chair unattended for 30/60 minutes, no seat saving the theater, no children in the adult pool, no running in the halls and many other rules that are enforced all of the time on NCL.  

I don’t think that I have read people say they will ignore this rule if it does in fact exist (although I have limited internet at the moment so may have missed it).

The two discussions seem to be a general one about the reason, and also another discussion about whether the ban actually exists anyway on most NCL ships.

My view is quite clear. If NCL decide to ban any decorations on ships we are on then I’m not going to question their decision and I will certainly comply with it.

However, it is an absolute fact (not speculation in any way) that there is no such fleet wide ban at the moment. It may be coming but it isn’t here yet.

Edited by KeithJenner

On 8/5/2019 at 4:09 AM, UFMOM said:

On our Disney cruises tons of doors were decorated.  We decorated ours for our granddaughter. I usually make our decorations from magnetic ink jet printable sheets. They don’t stick out or fall down because the whole thing is magnetic and it definitely leaves no residue on the door. From the feel of the material, it doesn’t seem very flammable, but I could be wrong. I wouldn’t want to try starting a fire with this material, it’s very different from paper. We tend to decorate our door mostly on Disney or on holiday cruises. So I guess I won’t be doing it on the Encore this New Years Eve.

Mary Ann

Door decorating is a lot of fun on Disney cruises ... along with participating in the FE group gift exchanges that occur on those cruises. :) 

On 8/8/2019 at 9:11 AM, expectthebest said:

we witnessed our neighbor actually ‘painting’ the outside of his stateroom door with black chalkboard paint... he used the in room hairdryer to quickly dry it

Over the top ridiculous!  I think they should have been charged a huge clean-up fee.  It's one thing to post a sign on one's door with a magnet or something easily removed w/o damage, but completely different to do something that is permanent and in need of restoration or repair.  

• Like 3

I'm sad to see the door decorations go.  Do I decorate my door every cruise?  No, but I usually enjoy seeing what others have done.  Have only decorated my door a few times and would say it was boring in comparison to others.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 1:07 PM, C cruise said:

Where is the newsletter that says this?

On 8/8/2019 at 1:07 PM, C cruise said:

all this controversy and we only saw one newsletter from one ship - what if this isn't really a ban...  

• Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 5:59 PM, CruisingNole said:

The notion that it is a “safety hazard” is laughable, just like the NCL cheerleaders blindly defending this.

As you said, if room service dishes, bar glasses, etc aren’t a safety hazard, I can’t imagine how door decorations are. What about all the sales crap they shove behind your room number placard? All the flyers, etc. Those “decorations” are somehow safe but passenger decorations aren’t? LOL, give me a break.

Heck, there are a heck of a lot of other safety hazards that they allow.  Gee, maybe they shouldn't be using the stoves to cook dinner-only cold sandwiches for a week!  LOL.  And I don't mean to turn this into another kind of thread, but if they're so worried about it and they have banned smoking in cabins and on balconies, maybe they should ban smoking altogether!  If a careless smoker is not a fire hazard I don't know what is.

• Like 1

I'll admit to rolling my eyes sometimes at the door decorations, but they don't "ruin" my cruise.

But I guess I can see the cruise line being concerned about damage to the door.  I was really surprised to read about the guy who painted the door with chalkboard paint.  I suppose tape could conceivably pull paint off the door or magnets scratching it.

• Like 2