cruise crew salary,only 100dollars a month?

miketriton

6 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Check it out yourself. Totally bogus.

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Rci/salaries

How much does RCI in the United States pay?

Average RCI hourly pay ranges from approximately $10.87 per hour for Laborer to $40.00 per hour for Administrator.

This  is a time share company  not sure what it has to do with cruise line employees

https://www.rci.com/

Apply for a job at Royal Caribbean cruises  & find out for yourself

https://rclctrac.com/

6 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Average RCI hourly pay ranges from approximately $10.87 per hour for Laborer to $40.00 per hour for Administrator. The average RCI salary ranges from approximately $20,964 per year for Laborer to $32,000 per year for Entry Level Customer Service Representative.

Salary information comes from 137 data points collected directly from employees, users, and past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months.

Please note that all salary figures are approximations based upon third party submissions to Indeed. These figures are given to the Indeed users for the purpose of generalized comparison only. Minimum wage may differ by jurisdiction and you should consult the employer for actual salary figures.

The RCI mentioned in the https://www.indeed.com/ link and the copy/paste information above is about a timeshare company, NOT the Royal Caribbean International cruise line. See https://www.rci.com/ for the timeshare site.

The RCI logo shown on the https://www.indeed.com/ link was not the RCI Cruise line logo we are used to seeing, so I looked further on the https://www.indeed.com/ link. I found the following information in the job description for their RCI Sales and Customer Service Representative at https://www.wyndhamdestinations.com/careers/jobs/sales-and-customer-service-representative-carmel-indiana-1907299?ReqNo=1907299&src=JB-12900&utm_source=indeed&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=job-boards&src=JB-12900.

... RCI is proud to be part of Wyndham Destinations, one of the world's largest hospitality companies across six continents. RCI is the global leader in vacation exchange providing our community of 3.7 million members worldwide with quality vacation experiences at more than 4,500 resorts in 100 countries.

Our phenomenal Sales and Customer Service Representatives have the opportunity to interact with members in planning their dream vacations. That’s why we dub the role a VACATION GUIDE! Pretty fun, huh?!...

I hope this information will be helpful to those reading this thread.

Kat 🐱

Edited to add:

@LHT28 Looks like we both found the same info at the same time.

Edited by TxCityKat
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

How much real difference is there between an employee who gets a “salary” of just $100 a month and tip income of, perhaps, a couple of thousand $, or a sales rep who only gets a commission once it rises above a certain floor amount?  It is the total income that is of interest to the individual - whether it is all salary, some salary and tips, or all commissions.  The employer provides the position, the employee fills it (or not, if he does not like the terms) and the employee comes away with the income — which, regardless of whether it is salary, salary and tips, or all commission, makes it worth the employee’s while to accept the position.

I agree and it certainly is not limited to lower paid employees.  You already mentioned sales commissions.  Those bonus plans for higher salaried management positions can also significantly impact salary.   It is the bottom line income that is critical.   It is all about the incentive.  

7 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Average RCI hourly pay ranges from approximately $10.87 per hour for Laborer to $40.00 per hour for Administrator. The average RCI salary ranges from approximately $20,964 per year for Laborer to $32,000 per year for Entry Level Customer Service Representative.

Salary information comes from 137 data points collected directly from employees, users, and past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months.

Please note that all salary figures are approximations based upon third party submissions to Indeed. These figures are given to the Indeed users for the purpose of generalized comparison only. Minimum wage may differ by jurisdiction and you should consult the employer for actual salary figures.

This has nothing to do with the cruise line industry. This RCI is Resort Condominiums International, a timeshare trading outfit owned by Wydham.

Apologies for duplication, reading further into the thread, I noted it had already been identified.

Edited by Heidi13

9 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Like it or not, mass market cruise companies generally staff their ships with people willing to work for very low stated wages supplemented by gratuities left by passengers.  

Anyone who books a cruise without understanding that has be either very careless or incredibly ignorant.  We all know (or certainly should know) how staff are compensated for their efforts.

I don't say that you are wrong but can you explain why it should be careless or ignorant to assume that the cruise companies paid decent salaries to their staff? 

6 hours ago, Blondilu said:

I am pretty sure there is a similar situation with cruise staff where their "base pay" is supplemented with benefits that must equal or exceed some minimum requirement.

Exactly as l stated in post #31.

• Like 1

I do'n't ask how much my mechanic gets paid. 

I don't ask what my how much my veterinarian gets paid.

I don't ask what the guy ,who takes my money at the gas station gets paid.

They chose to do those jobs at the rate of pay agreed to between their employer and themselves. Are they being underpaid for their economic contributions to those organisations' profit? I don't know. 

For cruise ship employees, all I know is that their is a system in place that mixes salary, DSC (or recommended daily gratuities) and old fashion tipping that makes up the compensation for these workers. I don't have to know the details. The workers seem happy with the system. The cruise lines seem happy with the system, and the total cost to me, the customer, seems reasonable for the services provided. So I pay my fare, leave the DSC in place and tip extra for extraordinary service. 

OK, OK, sometimes I tip extra for expected extraordinary service too. But that's for another thread. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

I do'n't ask how much my mechanic gets paid. 

I don't ask what my how much my veterinarian gets paid.

I don't ask what the guy ,who takes my money at the gas station gets paid.

They chose to do those jobs at the rate of pay agreed to between their employer and themselves. Are they being underpaid for their economic contributions to those organisations' profit? I don't know. 

For cruise ship employees, all I know is that their is a system in place that mixes salary, DSC (or recommended daily gratuities) and old fashion tipping that makes up the compensation for these workers. I don't have to know the details. The workers seem happy with the system. The cruise lines seem happy with the system, and the total cost to me, the customer, seems reasonable for the services provided. So I pay my fare, leave the DSC in place and tip extra for extraordinary service. 

OK, OK, sometimes I tip extra for expected extraordinary service too. But that's for another thread. 😉

I agree with most of what you say but sometimes someone say that the staff "need" the money they get from the DSC to get a decent salary. The only way to know if that is correct is to know how high their salary is. I'm sure that they are worth the extra money and for me that's what counts but do they need it to get a decent salary? I don't know because I don't know how high their salary is.

I personally don't care how much they earn, but hope that it's "enough", but when someone say that they "need" the extra money it is relevant how high their salary is. 

15 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I agree with most of what you say but sometimes someone say that the staff "need" the money they get from the DSC to get a decent salary. The only way to know if that is correct is to know how high their salary is. I'm sure that they are worth the extra money and for me that's what counts but do they need it to get a decent salary? I don't know because I don't know how high their salary is.

I personally don't care how much they earn, but hope that it's "enough", but when someone say that they "need" the extra money it is relevant how high their salary is. 

Most of the time those 'someones' are just guessing the the staff needs the money to make a decent level of compensation. Like both you and I, they don't know if the compensation is 'enough'. What I do know is the the level of compensation on cruise ships isn't enough if you live in Canada, or Sweden but is it enough for those from the countries that the cruise lines recruit from? I don't know. If the system was so BAD, the cruise lines would have staff shortages, so it must be, at least, OK. The compensation system for the modern cruise ship industry might not ideal, but what system is?

Until the system is broken I'm not going to try to fix it. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

The only thing that is "relevant" is that we as responsible, compassionate customers of the cruise lines, take their word for it that the salaries and gratuities are handled in an appropriate manner and the crew is paid what they were promised. It is not your job, or any of ours, to second guess who gets paid what. This is absolutely no different than you purchasing your new outfit for your next cruise and not second guessing how much the person who designed the clothes, or assembled it, or transported it to the store, or who sold it to you, where each paid for their part of the process.

I find it offensive for anyone to think that they are so much superior than the crew that they need to constantly second guess the pay structure the crew has agreed to. And this is especially directed to those who search for whatever justification they can conjure up to try to avoid paying the suggested gratuities that are part of that compensation. Clearly, it is all about them and not about the crew.

It is none of our business how or how much the crew is paid. We should graciously accept the systems in place without passing judgment, second guessing, or looking for ways to get out  of it. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 6

I've met Royal Caribbean employees who have worked for the company for over 20 years, doing 8-month contracts each time.  

If the pay and conditions are so horrible, I hardly think they'd keep coming back year after year after year.  

• Like 4

On 8/6/2019 at 2:17 AM, TxCityKat said:

And here is an article from Cruise Critic titled Gratuities: What's the Point? Cruise Tipping and Salaries Dissected last updated June 6, 2019.

Notably (just quoting what's there, I can't verify it):

For customer-facing positions, gratuities usually come into play. "Gratuities make up most of the compensation for crew in the housekeeping and food and beverage departments," says Collins. The base wage is usually low -- sometimes as little as $2 a day -- but income from tips can represent as much as 95 percent of the take-home total.

17 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

That is what it says. Guess you had to confirm that. Go and see the web site and see all.

Epic fail on that one, considering you picked a time share, not a cruise line. Guess you should stick to your port and starboard lectures. 

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Most of the time those 'someones' are just guessing the the staff needs the money to make a decent level of compensation. Like both you and I, they don't know if the compensation is 'enough'. What I do know is the the level of compensation on cruise ships isn't enough if you live in Canada, or Sweden but is it enough for those from the countries that the cruise lines recruit from? I don't know. If the system was so BAD, the cruise lines would have staff shortages, so it must be, at least, OK. The compensation system for the modern cruise ship industry might not ideal, but what system is?

Until the system is broken I'm not going to try to fix it. 

As long as many people think that the system is ok I will not try to fix it either. 

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

This is absolutely no different than you purchasing your new outfit for your next cruise and not second guessing how much the person who designed the clothes, or assembled it, or transported it to the store, or who sold it to you, where each paid for their part of the process.

That's probably an American thing. I have never, ever, heared anyone say that I have to tip the person selling me an outfit so that they get a decent salary. (If someone did, I should defenitely try to find out how high salary someone selling clothes has.)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I've met Royal Caribbean employees who have worked for the company for over 20 years, doing 8-month contracts each time.  

If the pay and conditions are so horrible, I hardly think they'd keep coming back year after year after year.  

Depending on their age, it is difficult to get a job on land in their country (Indonesia for sure).  One of my workers a few years ago was a middle-age man from Indonesia.  He said he has to go overseas to find seasonal jobs because it is next to impossible to find employment.  He worked the full length of a seasonal work visa, go home, come back.  I have several Filipino workers now who do the same thing.  Some of the bellmen have been doing this for 15 years, they work here and send their money back home.  They go home once a year.  Yes, they are the ones payed the low hourly wage and rely on tips...

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

This has nothing to do with the cruise line industry. This RCI is Resort Condominiums International, a timeshare trading outfit owned by Wydham.

Apologies for duplication, reading further into the thread, I noted it had already been identified.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Royal-Caribbean-Cruises-Salaries-E3579.htm

34 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Yup, contract employees, up to 1k or so a month.    That is what everyone has been stating.     The rest are by profession, and about what the profession industry stds are.   No eye opener there.