New York and Quebec City Hotels

Turk1

There are many hotels in Quebec City. We are staying at the Hilton, but a search of hotel sites will come up with loads of selections.

Have you checked EZ Air for flights? Most flights, not all, have a connection in Toronto or Montreal.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

Out of the three airports, I would choose the airport that has the cheapest fare into NYC.  LaGuardia is closest to Manhattan.  

Regarding hotels, depends what you want to do and how long you are in for.  The ship probably leaves from Red Hook, Brooklyn and there are a few hotels in Brooklyn.  However, if you plan on sightseeing in Manhattan then you should get a hotel in Manhattan,

Loyalty point bookings for hotels in New York City and Quebec City are the best way to go. We used our Marriott points for two nights in Quebec City and for three nights in NYC. 

If airfare is best, La Guardia is the way to go.  It's about only 20 minutes from Manhattan if traffic is good. (don't always count on good traffic conditions but it will be relatively the fastest.)  Cost of transportation will be the least expensive also. 

Turk1

As a native of NYC, I will try to give you some travel advice.

Regarding airports-look at flights into EWR (Newark,NJ) orJFK ( NYC borough of Queens,NY. I would avoid LaGuardia airport also in Queens. I think there is ongoing construction there that could make maneuvering the airport and transportation somewhat difficult.. The airports are a distance from NYC and/or the Brooklyn terminal.

Uber,taxi or a car service such as Carmel Limo or Dial7 are car services mentioned here on CC.

As for hotels, location would depend on the time you plan before the cruise. If you are coming in a day or two before the cruise and are considering sightseeing, I would suggest a hotel in midtown Manhattan or the Financial District in lower Manhattan (Wall Street area) . Chain hotels such as Hilton, Marriot  andHoliday Inn have various properties in both locations.

If you are planning a quick overnight stay before the cruise, those same chains have locations in Brooklyn near the terminal in Red Hook.

3 hours ago, Turk1 said:

Planning cruise from New York to Quebec City. Looking for Hotel recommendations and which Airport works best in New York.

Thanks!

Don't know what your budget is, but I can highly recommend the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City, currently a Fairmont property. Gorgeous hotel, long history,  beautiful location. It was even good enough for Roosevelt and Churchill, as it was the site of the Quebec Conferences during WW2.

• Like 1

Quebec City . Old city or new city ?

I can recommend Hotel Le Priori in the old walled city .

Highly rated in Trip Advisor, 2 blocks from the waterfront where most ships dock.

Not expensive when compared with  the gorgeous Chateau Frontenac $$$.

I just looked at the Can-NE itineraries for this year and next and they all say departure and/or arrival port is either Red Hook or Manhattan.  How is a cruiser supposed to know where to book pre- or post-cruise flight and hotel?  Once you've booked do they then tell you which place?  Makes a big difference!

3 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Quebec City . Old city or new city ?

I can recommend Hotel Le Priori in the old walled city .

Highly rated in Trip Advisor, 2 blocks from the waterfront where most ships dock.

Not expensive when compared with  the gorgeous Chateau Frontenac $$$.

And more convenient to the dock as well!

• Like 1

Hello Turk 1:  My wife and I stayed at a wonderful Boutique hotel in Quebec City in Oct.  of 2018.  It is Hotel Champlain.  Very nice, quaint and not far from the pier.  Hotel and downtown area is an easy walk from hotel. Hotel Chateau Frontenac.  We had a very enjoyable stay.  Any questions I can answer?  

David

6 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

I just looked at the Can-NE itineraries for this year and next and they all say departure and/or arrival port is either Red Hook or Manhattan.  How is a cruiser supposed to know where to book pre- or post-cruise flight and hotel?  Once you've booked do they then tell you which place?  Makes a big difference!

It will be Brooklyn. Princess has been sailing from/to Red Hook for many years now. I don't know why Princess doesn't change their web site. Seems like an easy fix.

Hotels in Manhattan are best for either pier.

• Like 1

Sometimes Manhattan may be used as a port stop as part of a cruise.

For example, there was a July 27 cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Quebec. Not certain what the exact itinerary of that cruise was/is,but someone has posted a live review of it here on CC. Perhaps the poster will mention where the ship docked if it visited NY. 

14 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Sometimes Manhattan may be used as a port stop as part of a cruise.

For example, there was a July 27 cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Quebec. Not certain what the exact itinerary of that cruise was/is,but someone has posted a live review of it here on CC. Perhaps the poster will mention where the ship docked if it visited NY. 

It docked in Brooklyn according to the posts from those on that sailing.

Edited by Mapu

Lots of hotels in NY - decide on the area you want: downtown, Times Square, East Side, etc., then narrow down.

In Quebec, avoid the big names - most are outside the old walled city - so you miss the wonderful flavor.   Chateau Frontenac is the classic, ideal location, but pricy and large.  We loved the  small  Ste. Anne, on Rue Ste. Anne, lovely side street, good restaurant, breakfast included,  reasonable prices, clean and comfortable , centrally located in old city.  

I think Newark is the only NY airport with direct flights to Quebec.

Edited by navybankerteacher
Info

18 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think Newark is the only NY airport with direct flights to Quebec.

OP is cruising from NY to Quebec, not flying. Although the OP doesn't state where they're coming from when flying into NY, I looked up some previous posts they've made and it looks like the OP lives in Texas, so I doubt they're flying from Quebec to NY either.

19 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Don't know what your budget is, but I can highly recommend the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City, currently a Fairmont property. Gorgeous hotel, long history,  beautiful location. It was even good enough for Roosevelt and Churchill, as it was the site of the Quebec Conferences during WW2.

Agree. Chateau Frontenac is tops .... loved it.

Another vote for Hotel Le Priori. Within walking distance to everything we wanted to see. (we even saw Paul McCartney from our window as he was leaving the hotel near us). The staff was very friendly and helpful before and during our stay. I would surely stay there again if I'm ever fortunate enough to return to Quebec City