Venice Cruise Ship Bann

LJJQ

Yes, I would agree that using road transport is probably a limited option, especially when you consider a 3000 passenger ship would require about 54 or so buses to ferry all into the city. Then marshalling them all to get back to the ship would be a nightmare, as afterall we will all want to stay as long as possible, and there won’t be room for 25  busses in the bus terminal solely for one ship.

Hence why the proposal to use docks within the lagoon and then they’ll tender folk back and forth.

Mind you will the canals be up to the increase water traffic and how much damage will all those wakes cause to the infrastructure?

11 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

Plus Amsterdam, recent protests in Kiel and how many new cruise ships are on order 127?

Where are they going to go?

You know, honestly, I hadn't thought of the glut of ships that is on the way.  Truly, where ARE they going to go? The Caribbean is a clogged mess, Europe is overcrowded, Asia a limited appeal (and a long slog to get there for most of the world).  China's cruise market is softening.

One of the reasons cruise lines are investing in private islands or pouring money into upgrading the existing ones.  I think we'll also start to see more "the ship is the destination" cruises.

As far as not sailing up the canal: those who haven't done it won't know what they've missed.  If it's for the good of the existence of the city, they need to do what needs to be done.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 33Minnie33 said:

We’re on the Constellation out of Venice in October 2019.  Nothing from Celebrity.

I think Celebrity may have a problem with Constellation during winter sailings as well. She is due to be sailing in the Gulf from Dubai to Singapore. P&O have already said their ships won’t be in that area during the coming winter season.

14 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Good thing that Celebrity does not register its ships in England!   That is the concern, they captured an Iranian ship in Gibraltar and Iran took an English tanker.

P&O don’t register their ships in England either! (Britannia excepted and she’s not due to go any where near the Gulf)

8 minutes ago, Highpeaklad said:

P&O don’t register their ships in England either! (Britannia excepted and she’s not due to go any where near the Gulf)

but they're all covered in the union jack.  That's all the sign Terrorists or kidnappers need. They won't check a registration.

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Ships do dock in Santorini.  On my last trip there, they let passengers off who were on bus tours, then moved the ship to the more familiar tender location.

Ships of Celebrity’s size do not dock in Santorini. As you said, the let shore excursion people off at a small pier first because it’s the only pier reachable by bus. However, the do not dock there. It’s also done by tender.

Then they continue to the anchor point below Fira.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 2:59 PM, wishuponasea said:

Our travel agent just sent me an article about Venice and banning cruise ships. We have an extended trip planned that includes staying in Venice post cruise (June 2020). I just e-mailed Celebrity since we are in the process of making our plans and looking at hotels. This would really complicate things. Fingers crossed that Celebrity and Venice figure out a good plan.

I don't think you have much to worry about.  It sounds like they will simply dock at a terminal a couple of miles away.  You could likely then take a bus, taxi or water taxi to Piazzale Roma, and then water taxi from there to your hotel.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 5:02 PM, bEwAbG said:

One of the reasons cruise lines are investing in private islands or pouring money into upgrading the existing ones.  I think we'll also start to see more "the ship is the destination" cruises.

As far as not sailing up the canal: those who haven't done it won't know what they've missed.  If it's for the good of the existence of the city, they need to do what needs to be done.  

This post implies (or could be interpreted to mean) that cruise ships sail up the Grand Canal currently or have in the past.  That has never been the case as the Rialto Bridge over the GC has a low clearance.  Ships may sail between the island that we consider to be the heart of Venice and the adjacent island of Giudecca although I'm not sure that waterway is deep enough, wide enough for today's cruise ships.  Certainly the vaporetto ply that stretch of water.  When we were in Venice pre-cruise and staying near St. Mark's and the waterfront, I got up earlier enough to go there and watch our ship "come in".   It was visually quite distant when it turned pretty far south of Giudecca to get to the docks.

The lagoon is actually quite long (20-25 miles) and is created by a several barrier islands.  The most famous one is the Lido and one can ride the vaporetto over there (as I did one afternoon).  It's also one of the longest and is the site of summer homes for Venetians wishing to escape the heat of the city and the summer tourists.  There's a sandy beach on the ocean side of the island.

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

This post implies (or could be interpreted to mean) that cruise ships sail up the Grand Canal currently or have in the past.  That has never been the case as the Rialto Bridge over the GC has a low clearance.  Ships may sail between the island that we consider to be the heart of Venice and the adjacent island of Giudecca although I'm not sure that waterway is deep enough, wide enough for today's cruise ships.  Certainly the vaporetto ply that stretch of water.  When we were in Venice pre-cruise and staying near St. Mark's and the waterfront, I got up earlier enough to go there and watch our ship "come in".   It was visually quite distant when it turned pretty far south of Giudecca to get to the docks.

That waterway (Giudecca Canal, north of Isola Giudecca) is precisely the one that cruise ships sail through to get to the docks. That's where the MSC ship went out of control and hit the shore.  The new proposal calls for ships to sail south of Giudecca to reach Fusina. We have sailed through that canal three times in the past 10 years.

Edited by ischeer
additional material

Will be following...will be on the Constellation in November 2019.  Embarkation is in Venice, with the first night being an overnight.  It is only about 92,000 tons, if that will mean anything.  Haven't seen any effective dates of changes...

22 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

This post implies (or could be interpreted to mean) that cruise ships sail up the Grand Canal currently or have in the past. 

There is more than one canal in Venice.  Giudecca Canal is what many of the cruise ships use.  I've been in Piazza San Marco and watched them sail right past, most recently two summers ago (I forget which line, but it wasn't a small yacht)

The Nieuw Amsterdam in the clip below is similar in size to Celebrity's M-Class

As I said in an earlier post I was up early the morning we were to sail and watched our ship come in from the waterfront near St. Mark's, which is across from eastern end of Guidecca.  The ship certainly did not sail right past me.  I believe we sailed down the Guidecca Canal when we left because I got some very close-up photos of the shore including St. Mark's and the area around it.  The routes may be dependent on the tides and time of year.

Just now, BarbinMich said:

As I said in an earlier post I was up early the morning we were to sail and watched our ship come in from the waterfront near St. Mark's, which is across from eastern end of Guidecca.  The ship certainly did not sail right past me.  I believe we sailed down the Guidecca Canal when we left because I got some very close-up photos of the shore including St. Mark's and the area around it.  The routes may be dependent on the tides and time of year.

You accused me of making people believe that cruise ships go up the Grand Canal, which of course is not possible.  What is your point?  Sailing in versus sailing away?  They go both directions, using the Giudecca Canal.  As evidenced in the video, sometimes they are quite close.  I've seen it with my own eyes.