Best pizza in Manhattan

A couple guys in our roll call were discussing the best pizza in Manhattan. There’s nothing I like more than a good pizza!  We will be staying at the Courtyard Central Park, looks like it’s at Broadway and 54th St. What are the best pizza places in either that area or near Chelsea Piers?  

8 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

A couple guys in our roll call were discussing the best pizza in Manhattan. There’s nothing I like more than a good pizza!  We will be staying at the Courtyard Central Park, looks like it’s at Broadway and 54th St. What are the best pizza places in either that area or near Chelsea Piers?  

Are you looking for slices?  A sit down place?  Gourmet with table service?  Casual with counter service?

I really think your best option is to google "best pizza in manhattan" and utilize the collected wisdom of the internet.  There are pages and pages of detailed analysis that would really help you more than a dozen or us shouting out our favorites here.

Enjoy!

13 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Are you looking for slices?  A sit down place?  Gourmet with table service?  Casual with counter service?

I really think your best option is to google "best pizza in manhattan" and utilize the collected wisdom of the internet.  There are pages and pages of detailed analysis that would really help you more than a dozen or us shouting out our favorites here.

Enjoy!

Im sure you are correct.  I’ll try Trip Advisor. 

Be more specific in your needs there, but it's the same thing:  You'll get the first dozen replies, or you can use google to find these:

https://www.delish.com/food-news/g22799540/new-york-city-best-pizza/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/nyregion/best-pizza-slices-nyc.html

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/new-york/the-best-pizza-in-new-york-city

etc, etc. etc

Edited by Nitemare

Our favorite is a block from your hotel Angelo’s on broadway and 53rd next to Ed Sullivan theater where they film Steven Colbert, we go there at least once on all our yearly visit, but it doesn’t have pizza by the slice. 

• Like 1

Depends on whether you're looking for slices or pies, as stated. Most of the lists include few if any Midtown locations. I don't know if that means the pizza's just so much better in Brooklyn, or if the folks making lists can't bring themselves to list a place in Midtown.

I've not tried Angelo's. My favorite sit down is John's on 44th between Broadway and 8th Avenue. It may not be the best pizza (it's pretty darn good), but atmosphere is great. The building was a former church, there's still some stained glass, and it's presumably the largest pizzeria in the world.

For slices, it's hard to beat Upside Pizza, info here (you should get one free read before the Times asks you to subscribe).

But seriously, best pizza in Manhattan is like asking for best pulled pork in North Carolina! You wouldn't really expect a consensus answer to that question, would you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Don Antonio’s on West 50th is near you — coal fired (the basic requirement for decent pizza - you need the REAL heat), thin crust so you’re not chewing dough.  Ask for a red, New Haven style - no gobs of mozzarella - simply crushed tomato and tomato sauce with just a sprinkling of grated Romano or Parmesan  - with spinach and bacon. 

It isn’t genuine New Haven  apizza (the pinnacle) — but not at all bad for the wrong side of the Housatonic River.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Don Antonio’s on West 50th is near you — coal fired (the basic requirement for decent pizza - you need the REAL heat), thin crust so you’re not chewing dough.  Ask for a red, New Haven style - no gobs of mozzarella - simply crushed tomato and tomato sauce with just a sprinkling of grated Romano or Parmesan  - with spinach and bacon. 

It isn’t genuine New Haven  apizza (the pinnacle) — but not at all bad for the wrong side of the Housatonic River.

Glad to see people from Connecticut have a sense of humor 😀

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 9:24 AM, markeb said:

My favorite sit down is John's on 44th between Broadway and 8th Avenue. It may not be the best pizza (it's pretty darn good), but atmosphere is great. The building was a former church, there's still some stained glass, and it's presumably the largest pizzeria in the world.

I'll second the suggestion to head to John's of Times Square in the former church building.  I've been a couple of times and it's very good.  I'm sure there are New Yorkers who would disagree, but for the purposes of a tourist from the south, it will give you a nice "NY pizza" to enjoy.  It's also convenient anyone staying in upper midtown as you are...no need to worry about traveling all the way to Brooklyn just to get a slice during a short sightseeing trip. 😉

Edited by waterbug123

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

Casual, easy, fast and by the slice...Ray's Pizza.

There is at least a half dozen Rays pizza in midtown, wife normally get a slice before we go to bed about 1am on one on 7th and about 48th ,not the best but not bad and as said they sell by the slice .

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

How long has it been there ?I worked in that vicinity 27 years and never heard of that place.

The first pizza they showcase is from Joe's Pizza. The person who we see making the pizza says the restaurant has been there since 1975!

15 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

The first pizza they showcase is from Joe's Pizza. The person who we see making the pizza says the restaurant has been there since 1975!

The original location in Greenwich Village opened in 1975.  Their website doesn't say when their four other locations, including the one on East 14th St., opened, but I'm sure it had to be later than 1975.

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

I am trying to visualize the intersection of 3rd and 14 St.I just do not recall a pizza place.The Palladium was on 14 between Irving Pl and 3rd.ave.That closed in 1997.

19 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am trying to visualize the intersection of 3rd and 14 St.I just do not recall a pizza place.The Palladium was on 14 between Irving Pl and 3rd.ave.That closed in 1997.

On the southwest corner, adjacent to Trader Joes.