Reassure me I won’t be bored on M-class after sailing on S-class & Edge

DebInAntigua

Looking at booking our first Panama Canal visit our of Tampa on Constellation post-revolution. We are holding a sky suite which would also be first time in a suite for us. 

Was never tempted before to sail M-class. Will we be bored on such a smaller ship? There are several sea days. We enjoy cultural activities, fine dining (hurrah Luminae!), destination lectures, art, spa, etc. While we will probably spend a bit of time at the pool and join the silent disco one night, we aren’t party people. Do love variety though and I’m wondering if multiple sea days on Connie will get old. 

The major difference between the M & S class aside from size and age is there are fewer speciality restaurants, fewer bars and no lawn.   They have the same type of shows & activities (art auctions, cooking demos, speakers, pool volleyball, etc).

We found the Edge to be quite difference than either the S or M Class.  To us the S & M Class are more alike than different. 

• Like 2

Why are you taking this cruise? Are you cruising for ship life or the destinations. I enjoy the M Class ships for Asia and Northern Europe. The S Class ships for the Caribbean and the Mediterranean. FYI. I'm not sure what Celebrity ship we did our Panama cruise on. Our ship cruised west to California. I booked cabins on the north side of the ship. The sun can be very intense near the equator.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DebInAntigua said:

Constellation, post-renovation. Never been on M-class before (or a suite, but the price is quite good!)

M class ships are nice.  Less crowded.  M class ships are still big and have lots of things to do.  They are not small. With about 2000 guests, they are still big. 

• Like 1

Well, if you like Murano you will be disappointed on M class, since Murano is not an option. Otherwise the M class if very much the same as S. I haven't ventured aboard Edge and likely won't, so I can't offer an opinion on that one. Since you're in a suite I would encourage you to try to get an S1 if you haven't already. As low as you can go. With staterooms above and below you. You can thank me after the cruise! Of course, if you're in a Royal you can disregard my recommendation ref S1. Enjoy! And yes, you will like the 'suite' life.

Did cruises on sister ships summit last year and infinity this year, both times in sky suites,  I just love celebrity suite perks, food and service in luminae is totally great. Suite lounge micheals is a great place to relax and have a couple of drinks from there great staff. Micheals serves drinks from early morning to about midnight, concierge has desk in micheals if you need help with anything, of course butler will also help with anything you need. 

• Like 1

I think that you will be perfectly fine.  We sailed on the Millenium where we renewed our 25th wedding vows.  Great ship.  Having been on the Equinox (which we love) which is like a floating city, the Millenium has a more intimate feel.  And, yes, while they do not have Murano, they have the Olympia which is just as good.  No lawn club, but I never sat on the lawn.  You will be fine.

On 8/14/2019 at 4:55 PM, DebInAntigua said:

Looking at booking our first Panama Canal visit our of Tampa on Constellation post-revolution. We are holding a sky suite which would also be first time in a suite for us. 

Was never tempted before to sail M-class. Will we be bored on such a smaller ship? There are several sea days. We enjoy cultural activities, fine dining (hurrah Luminae!), destination lectures, art, spa, etc. While we will probably spend a bit of time at the pool and join the silent disco one night, we aren’t party people. Do love variety though and I’m wondering if multiple sea days on Connie will get old. 

We have done more Celebrity cruises on the M class than the S.  The layout of both classes of ship are great.  We like the fewer number of passengers.  The main area where the S class excels in design is in the buffet.

• Like 2

We actually prefer M class ships.  Easier to navigate, no lines to speak of, faster disembarkation.  The crew get to know you quite quickly.  Just finished a Med cruise on Infinity and it was wonderful!  You will not be bored unless you choose to.  Have a fabulous time on Constellation!

Olympia no longer exists on Constellation. Tuscan Grill, Qsine  (may or may not have Le Petit Chef post-revolution) and Sushi on Five are the only pay extra restaurants currently.You’ll love Luminae (can order off Main Dining menu as well)-the service is stellar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 6:43 PM, DebInAntigua said:

Actually looking at the Dec 23rd holiday sailing. It's a great time to get away for a small business owner.

We booked that date as well. Got an amazing deal on an S2. I was going to get an S1, by the time I decided, it was sold. We usually cruise in AQ,so this will be nice. 

We were on the Connie for Christmas and New Year a few years ago. Great fun!

We've been on her twice and always enjoyed the experience. On both occasions we were in a CS so we received lots of perks.

To add to this we've been on the Silhouette (in a CS) a number of times and the Reflection (Sig.Suite) once.

We're not party animals but we do enjoy listening to the musicians in Ensemble Lounge, Michael's Club etc etc

Rest assured, there is always plenty to do!

Enjoy the Panama Canal!

We have sailed on M Class because of itinerary or theme (chartered Flower Power cruises and British Isles), but wouldn't sail on them to specifically sail on the ships. We like having more specialty restaurant choices and additional public areas, as seen on the S Class and Edge Class. That being said, we have enjoyed every M Class cruise and felt a kind of peaceful happiness when we return to one. We were never bored.

Being in a suite will open up other areas to you to make it even better. The Retreat will be a second home to chill in the morning with coffee/tea/pastries, a place to talk with a concierge to answer questions and help with any requests or issues, afternoon tea/munchies and pre- and post-dinner cocktails where the servers will get to know your favorite beverages. It is a great place to chill during the day and chat with fellow passengers and more vibrant at night (usually). You will also have the Retreat Sundeck as a place to be pampered - drinks and limited food menu. Our first Luminae experience was on the Connie and we were hooked. The service in Luminae has always been excellent - the menu is more limited, but the quality of the ingredients is an upgrade and they really try to make you happy.

I would not hesitate taking that cruise because of the itinerary, despite preferring S and E Class ships. In fact, I was looking at booking one of those myself....🙂

Edited by vtcruising

Our 10 of 14 cruises on Celebrity have been on the M class.  It wasn't intentional, it just worked out that way.  One of those cruises was a TA.  We have mainly been cruising Celebrity the past few years, but, this is changing.   I intentionally booked a future TA cruise on a larger, newer Princess ship.  We will miss our Elite cocktail hour but we think there will be a lot more to do.  Also, we have a 51 day cruise coming up this Fall on HAL.  It is on a smaller ship, so will so how we like it.  We are mainly going for the itinerary.  Cruising in general is changing, and for us, we will explore more land travel in the future.

Edited by FlorenceItaly