Tips to the Wait staff

lenquixote66

On 8/27/2019 at 12:04 AM, yorkshirephil said:

"At the end of the cruise, when guests leave the ship, we are provided with lists of our guests who paid and those who removed gratuities" .

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

That's the first I'm hearing the staff finds out afterwards.  I've always heard to the contrary.  In fact, I remember someone here posting a list they saw on a behind the scenes tour....I think it was Carnival....of the people who removed their gratuities. 

The information I got was from the article posted by a another commenter. If the information is incorrect someone needs to correct it😳

On 8/27/2019 at 12:04 AM, yorkshirephil said:

"At the end of the cruise, when guests leave the ship, we are provided with lists of our guests who paid and those who removed gratuities."

42 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

Clearly ilikeanswers doesn't actually like answers if they don't agree with his opinions. 😲

The list is posted daily. It is updated each morning and posted in crew areas where any crew member can see it. Makes no difference when you remove the gratuities - the crew will know as soon as it is done, whether the first or last day, or any day in between. This is standard practice of virtually all cruise ships - whether ilkeanswers likes that answer or not. 😉 

I was going on what the previously posted article was saying. If this is wrong then it seriously needs corrections. And yes I love answers 🤗. That is why I ask lots of questions🧐

12 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

"At the end of the cruise, when guests leave the ship, we are provided with lists of our guests who paid and those who removed gratuities" .

So all the people who have reported seeing this list on ship tours during the cruise are liars? 

That quote is in reference to those who remove the tips on the last day, which according to the same person you are quoting, "is 85 percent, maybe even more". The list is posted on a daily basis with updated information, including on the remaining 15% who remove them earlier, as the cruise progresses. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

14 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

So all the people who have reported seeing this list on ship tours during the cruise are liars? 

That quote is in reference to those who remove the tips on the last day, which according to the same person you are quoting, "is 85 percent, maybe even more". The list is posted on a daily basis with updated information, including on the remaining 15% who remove them earlier, as the cruise progresses. 

I was unaware of ship tours or that anyone has seen a list of any sort until now. The article made no mention of a daily list so I could only assume all this information was available at the end of the cruise. You have to remember I have never been on a Caribbean cruise so I'm relying on other peoples experiences to understand how it works. Why I have to ask so many questions🤣

As for the 85% my understanding was the interviewee was saying that it was 85% of the people in line at the end of  the cruise not 85% of the cruise population. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

17 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

One of the reasons for the list is to inform the crew of those who have removed the tips.  If a passenger is on the list and tips directly, then the crew knows they will have to turn that cash into the pool.  I suspect the crew will have a day or two after cruise completion to turn in the cash.

6 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I was unaware of ship tours or that anyone has seen a list of any sort until now. The article made no mention of a daily list so I could only assume all this information was available at the end of the cruise. You have to remember I have never been on a Caribbean cruise so I'm relying on other peoples experiences to understand how it works. Why I have to ask so many questions🤣

As for the 85% my understanding was the interviewee was saying that it was 85% of the people in line at the end of  the cruise not 85% of the cruise population. 

At least one person on this thread has mentioned seeing the list, and over the years others have also reported it. There are cruise industry insiders who sometimes post comments and they have also confirmed the existence of these lists, not only on Carnival, but others as well. And I expect this to be on worldwide cruises, not just Caribbean cruises. 

I agree that the 85% is not of the total cruise population, but just those in customer service line on the last day. 

13 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

At least one person on this thread has mentioned seeing the list, and over the years others have also reported it. There are cruise industry insiders who sometimes post comments and they have also confirmed the existence of these lists, not only on Carnival, but others as well. And I expect this to be on worldwide cruises, not just Caribbean cruises. 

Well I seem to have missed any reference to this list, and all my cruises have been ones where tipping is not customary so maybe there is no list on those ships. Is there any other information on these lists or is it just for reporting the tipping situation? 

Edited by ilikeanswers

For those that think the "list" is just an urban myth, Cruise Critic member Wennfred  (aka Fred) is the person that photographed the e-mailed list on display in the Carnival Splendor galley and posted it on the Carnival forum. See mention of the incident in the Cruise Critic article titled The Truth About Gratuities at https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=298.

AND HEEEEEERRRRRE'S....... WENNFRED!!!!!  

Cruise Critic Host Randy, now known as Randy & Carmen, was contacted by Carnival. He posted their remarks in post #248 at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/930627-the-prepaid-gratuities-removed-list/page/10/?tab=comments#comment-18158247. And then per Fred's request, Host Randy locked the now archived thread.

Kat 🐱

Edited by TxCityKat
typo

What is the percentage of cruisers who remove the auto tips? And of this group, what percentage tip the crew in cash instead? Finally, what is the percentage of deadbeats who do not tip anything? If the latter is 1% or 2%, these tipping threads are a huge waist of time and effort aren't they?

3 hours ago, TxCityKat said:

For those that think the "list" is just an urban myth, Cruise Critic member Wennfred  (aka Fred) is the person that photographed the e-mailed list on display in the Carnival Splendor galley and posted it on the Carnival forum. See mention of the incident in the Cruise Critic article titled The Truth About Gratuities at https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=298.

AND HEEEEEERRRRRE'S....... WENNFRED!!!!!  

Cruise Critic Host Randy, now known as Randy & Carmen, was contacted by Carnival. He posted their remarks in post #248 at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/930627-the-prepaid-gratuities-removed-list/page/10/?tab=comments#comment-18158247. And then per Fred's request, Host Randy locked the now archived thread.

Kat 🐱

The link to the photo seems to be expired or at least it doesn't seem to be working for me. I don't suppose there is a more recent reference to this list? Ten years is a long time a lot can change.

41 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

The link to the photo seems to be expired or at least it doesn't seem to be working for me. I don't suppose there is a more recent reference to this list? Ten years is a long time a lot can change.

Now you are grasping at straws.  If anything in ten years the information would be more available to the crew with advancements in technology. 

The people who cancel the auto gratuities on the last day should realize that if they travel again on the same line the person delivering their food on their next cruise could well know their history and reasonably conclude they are likely to do the same again.   You can run but you can't hide.

2 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Now you are grasping at straws.  If anything in ten years the information would be more available to the crew with advancements in technology. 

The people who cancel the auto gratuities on the last day should realize that if they travel again on the same line the person delivering their food on their next cruise could well know their history and reasonably conclude they are likely to do the same again.   You can run but you can't hide.

Still I always think it is worth inquiring if there is more recent information especially one with working links😋. Nothing more disappointing on the internet then clicking on a link and finding yourself on a totally different page😉.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 1:13 AM, DarrenM said:

But despite all that I do and will tip extra for brilliant service on my cruise.

I must have you confused with someone else.  I thought I remembered that you've only been on one cruise.  ???

A post a few pages back confused me.  A poster said .....I’m accustomed to tips being increased/decreased (within reason) based on service.  My restaurant norm is 20%.  Terrible service will get 10-15% (10% is for dreadful); outstanding service is above 20%. 

So in America, would you still tip if you got terrible service? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, davemorton said:

A post a few pages back confused me.  A poster said .....I’m accustomed to tips being increased/decreased (within reason) based on service.  My restaurant norm is 20%.  Terrible service will get 10-15% (10% is for dreadful); outstanding service is above 20%. 

In the UK, I don't tip just round up. No need staff are paid well, it is not expected or needed unless someone has done something exceptional beyond what they are paid to do. In the states maybe 10% but never more. If the service is poor/ terrible nothing you do not tip bad service, the only tip they get is one suggesting what they need to do to improve. Anything else is rewarding mediocrity.

3 hours ago, davemorton said:

It seems that many Americans tip even for poor service, no idea why, but that appears to be the case.

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

It seems that many Americans tip even for poor service, no idea why, but that appears to be the case.

The reason as you very much well know is that the waitstaff in American restaurants is grossly underpaid and they depend upon tips as part of their salary.  Assumed tips are even factored into their required Federal tax  withholding schedules.  We Americans and most other people including you know that and most us leave a tip even if the service is not great.  The tips are also shared with the people who clear the tables and with some of the other people in the restaurant who also depend upon these monies as part of their salaries.

In answer to the post that I expect from you, we could change the model to what is done in Australia where the restaurant staff is paid a decent living wage and no tipping is expected.  I like this system but it just isn't going to happen and restaurants where they have tried it usually go back to the old system.  Also, the Australian model significantly increases restaurant costs so they have to raise of the cost of the meal to cover increased salaries.

Bottom line - you ultimately pay the same in the end unless too many people decide to stiff their servers and not leave a tip.

DON

21 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

And why do you think that? Because of your anti-American bias maybe? You never give up on insulting an entire country of people, do you? 

For your information (and I am sure you will ignore it because it doesn't fit your bigoted views of Americans) poor service is not common, so rewarding poor service isn't the huge overly dramatic problem you claim it to be. Best if you would keep your views to yourself. They are mostly wrong and repeatedly show your ignorance about the people of an entire country. 

Instead of posting here on CruiseCritic, why don't you find an anti-American hate group to join. You might find a better fit there. 🙄

Edited by sloopsailor

Maybe you should read the whole thread where your fellow countrymen say they reduce the amount they tip for poor service, so seems hard to accept that there is never poor service and that people don’t still tip for it. 

1 minute ago, davemorton said:

I understand the tipping to supplement income, but surely tipping bad service just encourages it.  Good or even mediocre, fair enough, but bad? 

Careful or you will be accused of American hating bias.

• Haha 1