Has "The Quest" run its course?

3 hours ago, sixesandeights said:

Leigh Xuereb made Quest what it was.  He is now with Carnival and I sailed with him and Quest was every bit as wild and crazy as it ever way.  Very VERY adult themed and insanely funny.  It was this way it was when I did it on Royal when Leigh was there.  I recently did Quest on Grandeur with that married couple (CD and AD......cant remember their names but they were TERRIBLE).  There was no adult warning and they had transformed the game into something that was completely boring.  They allowed children in the Quest, and the hunts were not at all what previous quest had been.  We were seated totally opposite of the door, or we would have walked out.  It was a complete waste of time.  If Quest on all Royal ships is done this way now I have no doubt that it is not well attended.  

6&8

We had Leigh as CD and Frankie as AD a couple of weeks before they left RC and went to Carnival.  Absolutely hilarious Quest!  As you said, very adult themed lol.  They were great together and I'm glad that Frankie is a CD now.  

My favorite Quest was hosted by Graham Seymour.  I dont think Ive ever laughed as hard in my life!   Our last one with Casey was very "meh".   Bing Bong is on vacation so I dont even know who my CD will even be this upcoming cruise.   I havent bothered to look.  Im just looking forward to finally getting to sail on Captain Johnnys ship  :) 

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sixesandeights said:

Leigh Xuereb made Quest what it was.  He is now with Carnival and I sailed with him and Quest was every bit as wild and crazy as it ever way.  Very VERY adult themed and insanely funny.  It was this way it was when I did it on Royal when Leigh was there.  I recently did Quest on Grandeur with that married couple (CD and AD......cant remember their names but they were TERRIBLE).  There was no adult warning and they had transformed the game into something that was completely boring.  They allowed children in the Quest, and the hunts were not at all what previous quest had been.  We were seated totally opposite of the door, or we would have walked out.  It was a complete waste of time.  If Quest on all Royal ships is done this way now I have no doubt that it is not well attended.  

6&8

Couple of resposnses:

John and Katrina were the husband and wife CD , AD. we liked him, her meh! No worse than most of them. 

We liked Leigh and Urky on the Explorer one cruise we took. CD and AD

saw one Quest almost 10 years ago , that was enough. They are too repetitive after that. Besides ,  we go back to our cabin by 10PM now. 😊

We cruise a lot still, but all these stage games they play, like family feud or dating game were a one and done for us. Same questions with double meanings.

We went to Quest both times on a B2B.  I'm pretty sure it was Casey Pelter as the CD - the 2nd week was exactly the same as the first week, same jokes, same comments, same section won, etc.  Fortunately the guests were different so still entertaining.

We were also on Explorer with Leigh and Urky and they were by far our favorites.

Went to Quest recently on a smaller ship that did not have Studio B, it was in a lounge - not nearly as much fun.  Probably won't go on a smaller ship again.

Always hoping it is changed up a bit to keep us coming.  And yes, especially the most fun going with friends who have never been!

It has/will go the way of Karaoke.  Used to be...not now.  Kind of boring with people looking at their watch making sure they don't miss the YMCA production (yawn...over that as well) on the promenade.  Avoid the promenade  usually after dinner its always so congested.

57 minutes ago, ryano said:

My favorite Quest was hosted by Graham Seymour.  I dont think Ive ever laughed as hard in my life!   Our last one with Casey was very "meh".   Bing Bong is on vacation so I dont even know who my CD will even be this upcoming cruise.   I havent bothered to look.  Im just looking forward to finally getting to sail on Captain Johnnys ship  🙂

Dennis Charles is on Harmony currently.

• Like 1

We still go and still enjoy it...even if it is somewhat formulaic.  Maybe we just haven't cruised enough yet.  Fully agree that it is highly dependent on the crowd and the CD.  It's also more fun on the larger ships with cameras and instant replay.

I did it last year on Harmony and loved it... It was very R-rated with many "quests" that aren't appropriate for Cruise Critic. Cruise director Dru Pavlov went all out (I later learned this was his last cruise of his contract).

This year/last week, on Symphony, it was fun, but a lot more tame. The cruise director (Mike) seemed to just be going through the motions and tried to follow a pretty standard script.

8 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I agree, it does not seem as popular recently as it was 10 years ago.  Too many come fully prepared.

Agree, more fun with Quest "Virgins". I vote they bring back Skeet Shooting and Golfing off back of the ships...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Sounds like the making of a Seinfeld episode.

The sea was angry that day, my friend, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

Fish - mamal - whatever.

What, is it a Titleist?

Affirmative nod.

A hole in one!

7 hours ago, ryano said:

My favorite Quest was hosted by Graham Seymour.  I dont think Ive ever laughed as hard in my life!   Our last one with Casey was very "meh".   Bing Bong is on vacation so I dont even know who my CD will even be this upcoming cruise.   I havent bothered to look.  Im just looking forward to finally getting to sail on Captain Johnnys ship  🙂

Dennis Charles is on now. 

Gus is the Captain now as well, but I think he leaves soon

Was on Allure 2 weeks ago and our cruise was packed with a younger crowd, many who I assume had never seen the Quest. I didn’t see anyone with a bag of Quest “stuff”.  We had a fresh CD, Michael something, just back from vacation, and he switched up the questions a bit.  It was a lot of fun.

Ive seen it probably 20 times and will usually go, unless there’s something else going on.  I still find it enjoyable (usually).  I always encourage those who’ve never seen it to go.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:14 AM, twangster said:

Every sailing has lots of new to Royal guests on board.   Listen to the C&A numbers at top tier events, for a typical 7 night cruise often >50% have never sailed with Royal.

That depends on the sailing.  Our last cruise, around 75% not first timers.  34 Ps.

And this was on Grandeur.

I do agree with others, that they need to mix up the tasks. To prevent people from bringing stuff.  Make the list of tasks large enough they would have to bring a large rolling suitcase.

Even mix it up a little.  Not a bra, but a black/blue/red/etc one.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

It's very predictable; they generally follow a script and don't deviate much.  They may switch out  question or two, but if you've been once you know what you're gonna get in the future 

This.

15 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree, more fun with Quest "Virgins". I vote they bring back Skeet Shooting and Golfing off back of the ships...

Technically more trap than skeet. 🙂

When we first attended a Quest game we laughed so hard and it was a lot of fun to watch.  Our next cruise we again went to Quest, but it was totally different as so many people had bags with them with things that would be requested.

We have not gone in years because I have no patience for cheaters.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 10:48 AM, sixesandeights said:

6&8

We were on Grandeur in April, and I agree that John & Katrina's Quest was...unique.  They did not keep score, and the winning team (mine 😄 ) only won because of the teenager who could hula hoop like...10 hoops or something ridiculous like that.  She was given a crown to wear the rest of the sailing. It was more like a "business" event than crazyness.  They did say if you have kids here don't blame us for the questions you'll be asked afterwards, but then there was nothing I'd consider inappropriate.  Especially after some of the others we've attended.