Has "The Quest" run its course?

On 8/18/2019 at 7:27 AM, Beachammo said:

We prefer Quest in a lounge also. Studio B on Oasis/Freedom/Voyager class is only suitable for an ice show.....period

Yes, bad for quest, but great for dance parties 

We even saw a comic in there on Oasis 

32 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Yes, bad for quest, but great for dance parties 

We even saw a comic in there on Oasis 

As a participant...I personally would still rather have those dance parties in one of the larger lounges or Centrum. I guess a comic wouldn't be bad or a rock concert in Studio B.

Parties/events in the Promenade are terrible.....

John....where are you guys off to next?

Edited by Beachammo

I have never really understood why Royal don’t change these things up. I know there are new cruisers but there are a lot of repeat cruisers also. If it was changed up sometime it would still be new the new cruisers but something fresh for the repeaters over the years. I do not go to the 70’s party anymore because after so many years you get tired of The village People routine on every cruise on every ship and the rest of the songs that is played and song at that party. Love and marriage same questions on every ship every show. They need to come up with a better idea as far as picking the couples for that. I still like Quest but there is only so many adult themed things you can ask for without it getting too risqué! It’s the participants that make The Quest still fun to watch except for the ones that have played time and time again and are not spontaneous but rehearsed to get a laugh. 

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:54 AM, BillOh said:

Cruise Directors don't seem motivated to change things up. Though Ricky Matthews did call out the cheaters. Ken Rush ran a pretty unique one and put an effort to make it unique.   Casey Pelter goes through the motions and doesn't really keep any score and just gives away a couple of medals to team captains. 

Casey is super boring.   Ken Rush did run a unique quest.  

7 minutes ago, bigque said:

I have never really understood why Royal don’t change these things up. I know there are new cruisers but there are a lot of repeat cruisers also. If it was changed up sometime it would still be new the new cruisers but something fresh for the repeaters over the years. I do not go to the 70’s party anymore because after so many years you get tired of The village People routine on every cruise on every ship and the rest of the songs that is played and song at that party. Love and marriage same questions on every ship every show. They need to come up with a better idea as far as picking the couples for that. I still like Quest but there is only so many adult themed things you can ask for without it getting too risqué! It’s the participants that make The Quest still fun to watch except for the ones that have played time and time again and are not spontaneous but rehearsed to get a laugh. 

I agree with this.  They don't change things up enough.  I like to see new games being introduced.  New shows too.  With Quest, you have to change it up.

There are so many fun  "adult" card games that could be converted into crowd participation events.   I was planning on bringing my Cards Against Humanity on my next cruise, but then I decided that my friends understand my weird sense of humor but I'm not sure I am up to that with strangers. 

I have played CAH at one of our local wine bars if the night is slow.  We had a blast doing that one night. 

But CAH is definitely NOT anything that you want to have kids around for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legaljen1969 said:

There are so many fun  "adult" card games that could be converted into crowd participation events.   I was planning on bringing my Cards Against Humanity on my next cruise, but then I decided that my friends understand my weird sense of humor but I'm not sure I am up to that with strangers. 

I have played CAH at one of our local wine bars if the night is slow.  We had a blast doing that one night. 

I'm fortunate to find inappropriately-minded folks in the Roll Calls for my upcoming B2B on Majesty, so my CAH boxes will be in my luggage!  But yeah, it's DEFINITELY not for kids!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I'm fortunate to find inappropriately-minded folks in the Roll Calls for my upcoming B2B on Majesty, so my CAH boxes will be in my luggage!  But yeah, it's DEFINITELY not for kids!!!

No-one has started a Roll Call for my cruise coming up on Brilliance in December (a Christmas cruise) so I am thinking it's not going to be a CAH crowd.    Should we ever cruise at the same time, I am totally ready for some CAH. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Never heard of Cards Against Humanity, so I had to check out their site. "A party game for horrible people".  I'm in!

15 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Never heard of Cards Against Humanity, so I had to check out their site. "A party game for horrible people".  I'm in!

Had to Google it myself.  Sounds like a blast.  Going on a land vacay with some friends in September.  Might have to get this.

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

1 hour ago, voyager70 said:

Had to Google it myself.  Sounds like a blast.  Going on a land vacay with some friends in September.  Might have to get this.

You just have to make sure that there are NO "snowflake" people around when you play.  Literally NOTHING is safe.... religion, politics, history, sexuality, crimes... if it can offend someone somehow, it's in the CAH box somewhere!

5 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

So when are you cruising again?

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

You just have to make sure that there are NO "snowflake" people around when you play.  Literally NOTHING is safe.... religion, politics, history, sexuality, crimes... if it can offend someone somehow, it's in the CAH box somewhere!

No worries with our group.  College buds.  We're used to busting each other's balls.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brillohead said:

Yep.  Definitely very un-PC.  But it's so fun. 

On 8/19/2019 at 6:56 PM, bobmacliberty said:

I agree that it's not appropriate for younger children, but it's up to the parents to enforce this, not the CD.  The CD can point that out (and does so repeatedly in my experience), and even call out specific people in the audience who have kids.  They should NOT make the game tamer because there are kids in the room.  That spoils it for everyone else there.  Parents need to take responsibility.  

Absolutely agree.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:56 AM, bobmacliberty said:

I agree that it's not appropriate for younger children, but it's up to the parents to enforce this, not the CD.  The CD can point that out (and does so repeatedly in my experience), and even call out specific people in the audience who have kids.  They should NOT make the game tamer because there are kids in the room.  That spoils it for everyone else there.  Parents need to take responsibility.  

I was just making a similar post in a different forum about how parents need to be responsible for their children while on the ship and how they should not expect every activity onboard to be "kid friendly" much as not every activity in the real world would be kid friendly. 

Yes, Quest should be Quest. It is advertised as an adult activity. If you don't want your kids experiencing that, then don't bring them. If you don't have anyone else to keep your kids, then don't participate. It's unreasonable to expect others to tone it down because parents don't want to exercise any responsibility.

• Like 2

We went to Quest on the last cruise because we had a new cruiser in our group and my youngest hadn't ever been either since he'd been too young on previous cruises - they had a blast but my husband and I (who have the medals from our Quest wins of the past lol) said likely if we don't skip it on our next cruise we'll be grabbing on of those high top tables at the top to just watch.  My knees aren't a fan of getting up every time that song comes on anymore lol!  All my kids are young adults now and my older 2 have significant others who have not yet cruised so I expect we still have a few more to attend more passively.  Now on Carnival, I think my girls are scarred from watching us compete 🙂

The Quest is the Best.

You never know what a person will do.

My wife got a grandma to rip off her bra in 2 seconds.

Old guy gave his set of teeth.

Real thong not a flip flop.

Older guys pants in seconds.

We’ve enjoyed many quests and even on NCL. Many first time cruisers are fun to watch. It’s a tradition that I hope continues.

Get rid of silent disco that cost nothing and is a cheap way for cruise lines to say they are providing a party.

From 25 years ago the midnight buffet and deck parties are all gone. Steel drum bands by the pool are mostly a distant memory.  Cruise lines continue to reduce cost and charge extra fees for many things.

On 8/19/2019 at 5:31 PM, bobmacliberty said:

Our daughter and her BF brought it home from college and um  adult, ..............yup, addicting and we had a blast.

If your looking for other card  games take a simple playing deck of cards and play  bull**it.

(google it)

Yup played it at the Embassy suites this past June, and let me tell you it was fun.

Safe travels.