Has "The Quest" run its course?

On 8/16/2019 at 2:18 PM, karena1 said:

Best we ever saw was with Ricky Matthews.  Have not gone for years now, too late at night for us plus we have seen it so many times.  Cannot even remember the last time we went.

Matt Baker was the best host of The Quest and The Love and Marriage Game Show. I've been on lots of cruises so have many CDs to compare him to. Actually, Matt is my favorite CD of all time. He worked for RCCL but then went to NCL. We first had him as a CD on NCL. His brother worked for RCCL for many years after Matt left the company.

Having said that.....I never had Richard Spacey as CD on any of our many cruises and wish I had that experience. From what I've seen on YouTube, Spacey was a fantastic CD.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 3:08 PM, ryano said:

My favorite Quest was hosted by Graham Seymour.  I dont think Ive ever laughed as hard in my life!   Our last one with Casey was very "meh".   Bing Bong is on vacation so I dont even know who my CD will even be this upcoming cruise.   I havent bothered to look.  Im just looking forward to finally getting to sail on Captain Johnnys ship  🙂

Yes! Quest was the BEST with Graham Seymour.  I participated with him, and participated and watched with others, and it's never been as fun.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruisegroover said:

The Quest has not been on the last 3 sailings Ovation of the Seas I was on ex Australia. Joff said the reason was there was no suitable venue to have it.

On Anthem in 2017 it was held in Two70 and I actually preferred it because you had a much closer view and it was more intimate, for all the wrong reasons. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Andrew89 said:

On Anthem in 2017 it was held in Two70 and I actually preferred it because you had a much closer view and it was more intimate, for all the wrong reasons. 

We prefer Quest in a lounge also. Studio B on Oasis/Freedom/Voyager class is only suitable for an ice show.....period

Edited by Beachammo

10 hours ago, Cruisegroover said:

The Quest has not been on the last 3 sailings Ovation of the Seas I was on ex Australia. Joff said the reason was there was no suitable venue to have it.

9 hours ago, Andrew89 said:

That's funny. Two sister ships and one has a space or Quest and the other doesn't. 

43 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

Who knows why but as I said on the 3 sailings I did no Quest nor on a sailing a friend did before one of mine.

I was not taking a shot at you at all. My point was more that RCI seems to have a track record of making up reasons for things that they do that often have no connection to reality.

• Like 1

I had posted this on a thread in the past, but it applies here, also. My first few cruises on Grandeur out of Baltimore, Paul Rutter was the cruise director. I like his style - involved but laid back. Considering average age on Grandeur 12-days, he ran a good Quest. I went twice. The second time, he was on the South Pacific lounge stage as the crowd was arriving. Just before starting the event for everyone to see and hear, he called out a gentleman who came with a stuffed shopping bag. His words were, "Care to show us what's in your bag?" The guy squirmed and was not pleased. Paul pushed it in a very calm, friendly-like voice; "I really think you should show us what is in the bag." You could see the anger building in the passenger. Paul still wouldn't let it go. "You wouldn't have happened to bring items to give you an advantage in the game" (or words very similar to that). Again he asked, "Are you going to show us?" The lounge was standing room only for the event, and everyone was focused on this. The man said, "No." I can't recall what was said next, but the guy left. 

Paul had my admiration for that.

• Like 3

On 8/16/2019 at 7:24 PM, Virtopia said:

Quest is one of my favourite activites during a sailing and it hasn't become boring to me yet. My next sailings are on the Navigator and Explorer and I expect both to be good.

We'll have to get a team together! 

4 hours ago, Beachammo said:

We prefer Quest in a lounge also. Studio B on Oasis/Freedom/Voyager class is only suitable for an ice show.....period

Depends on the size of the crowd. If there’s a large crowd in a lounge around half can actually see what’s going on. I know because I’ve been there. Studio B isn’t ideal but everyone can get the same enjoyment. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Depends on the size of the crowd. If there’s a large crowd in a lounge around half can actually see what’s going on. I know because I’ve been there. Studio B isn’t ideal but everyone can get the same enjoyment. 

One of the multiple reasons I stay off larger ships. 

The lounges on the smaller ships are actually larger than the Oasis lounges.

44 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

We watched The Quest in Studio B on Indy. After 10 minutes a woman got over excited, leapt over the rail at the front, landed on her back on the boarding covering the ice rink and ended up stretchered off to the sick bay with the ships doctor in tow.

Some people really took it seriously 😁

Edited by Rotherham_Cruiser

38 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

One of the multiple reasons I stay off larger ships. 

The lounges on the smaller ships are actually larger than the Oasis lounges.

Agreed, there's nothing like the Star Lounge or Colony Club.

• Like 2

We come back to watch the Quest anticipating only one question:  "Other than your ears, where is your other piercings?"................yes, we have seen some bizarre piercings. 😎 (Disclosure: I am visually impaired and have to watch it on TV just to "see" it clearly.)

I've seen the Quest several times, participated and laughed. However the last time children were allowed into the lounge and some participated. That was my last Quest. As a retired teacher I was very uncomfortable . It is an adult activity and the rule of Adults Only should be enforced. If the CD does not want to enforce he rule, the game has to be "tamer". you can't trust all parents to enforce it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cardamon said:

I've seen the Quest several times, participated and laughed. However the last time children were allowed into the lounge and some participated. That was my last Quest. As a retired teacher I was very uncomfortable . It is an adult activity and the rule of Adults Only should be enforced. If the CD does not want to enforce he rule, the game has to be "tamer". you can't trust all parents to enforce it.

Agree. We would walk also walk out if kids were able to particulate on the floor. Bad enough they are in the seats during QUEST. 

Edited by davekathy

On 8/18/2019 at 2:16 AM, CruisinCons said:

We were on Grandeur in April, and I agree that John & Katrina's Quest was...unique.  They did not keep score, and the winning team (mine 😄 ) only won because of the teenager who could hula hoop like...10 hoops or something ridiculous like that.  She was given a crown to wear the rest of the sailing. It was more like a "business" event than crazyness.  They did say if you have kids here don't blame us for the questions you'll be asked afterwards, but then there was nothing I'd consider inappropriate.  Especially after some of the others we've attended. 

Were you on the 12 night?

I was not impressed with the Quest.  Nor particularly with John and Katrina.

I was really not impressed when, for the belly flop contest, several females joined.  And one came in 2nd and got NOTHING.  And she weighed about 1/2 as much as the guy who won.  But they gave a additional first place prize to a very nice deaf man who participated.

6 hours ago, SRF said:

Were you on the 12 night?

I was not impressed with the Quest.  Nor particularly with John and Katrina.

I was really not impressed when, for the belly flop contest, several females joined.  And one came in 2nd and got NOTHING.  And she weighed about 1/2 as much as the guy who won.  But they gave a additional first place prize to a very nice deaf man who participated.

No, just a regular 7 night.  I don't usually pay much attention to the CD or AM.  They do not make or break my cruise.  I'm more about what activities they plan than anything else - I don't care who leads them.  The only activity I remember as really standing out was the Dancing with the Stripes.  That was fun to watch!  

18 hours ago, Rotherham_Cruiser said:

We watched The Quest in Studio B on Indy. After 10 minutes a woman got over excited, leapt over the rail at the front, landed on her back on the boarding covering the ice rink and ended up stretchered off to the sick bay with the ships doctor in tow.

Some people really took it seriously 😁

Uh yea...I remember once being behind the railing in studio B.  I hurdled the railing, ran, slide across the floor on my stomach to do the worm.  and yes, our team was first LOL!  (they needed a woman to do it).  I had burns on my knees.  

I'm getting too old for this crap now LOL!  And with recent knee surgery, no way I can participate.  It will be interesting just watching.  

13 hours ago, cardamon said:

I agree that it's not appropriate for younger children, but it's up to the parents to enforce this, not the CD.  The CD can point that out (and does so repeatedly in my experience), and even call out specific people in the audience who have kids.  They should NOT make the game tamer because there are kids in the room.  That spoils it for everyone else there.  Parents need to take responsibility.