is 15 days to long ?

iggyc

Have done many 7 day cruises and considering suprising hubby with a 15 day cruise on the Star from Miami to Santiago, Chile.  Worried that 15 days may be long.  Itinerary has 6 sea days.  Appreciate thoughts of anyone who has done long cruises before.  Thanks

We’ve  done one 15 day and two 14 day cruises.  The longer ones let you get a better feel for the ship.  I like both - if we do a 7 day we will (usually) spend a couple days before and after the cruise at the embarkation/disembarkation locations. Packing can be more complicated on a longer cruise.

i have yet to ever get bored on a cruise ship no matter the length.

We did that same itinerary (Miami to Santiago) except it was on the Sun.  It was great.

Edited by Stealthdog

Whether it's the mega/+ or mid-sized ship, you get time to explore the entire ship, check out all the dining options, catch all the shows and extras,  sleep in late & enjoy room service without rushing, and, find your own favorite/hidden or secret spots to sit back, relax, read or whatever outside of your cabin & balcony, etc.  

Go for it - odds are you will find the demographics to be a little different than your typical 7, 5 or 3 nighters.  

• Like 2

I did a 15 day sailing this past spring on a different cruise line, and I actually found that I was really burnt out and over it by the time we got back. That said, we had a LOT of sea days. 4 days going and 5 days coming back, and almost all of them were back to back. I also noticed that I was pretty sick of the food by the time the cruise was over, but I can't really explain why. 

• Like 1

We are doing a 14 day SA cruise as well next year  .we did  b2b2b 24 day on the Jade  a few years back% we thought it would be too long when we left . Our kids thought it was too long for us to be away. After laying on the guilt trip , no pun intended, When we got back their response was , it didn’t seem like you were gone that long. We didn’t,t think so either 😂😂

• Like 2

You won't know how you like it or don't until you go. 

We have done several standard 7 nights, a 10 night, a 12 night and a 13 night. 

I find that I am never ready to go home when we cruise 7 nights and dread the last night when you have to pack up. 

The longer cruises feel just right for my husband and I. We have had a chance to fully relax and find that we are ready to go home when it's over.  

• Like 2

I know that my DH would not like to be surprised for such a long cruise.  We did a 12 day to the Baltic and he said it was too long compared to our usual 7 days.  I suppose you could tell what he is like from how you pass the sea days.  For us they are something we have to pass to get to our destination.  We see a cruise ship as a way of travelling from port to port and so a sea day is a 'wasted day'.  Don't get me wrong, we can read, watch tv, walk on the deck, go and have lunch or go to a show in the evening, but it is all just to pass the time to get to the real destination - the next port.  

Horses for courses and cruises for cruisers. 

• Like 2

If you like cruising then a 15 night cruise will be great. After a 15 night you will go back to a 7 night and think its to short.

I've done cruises form 1 or 2 nights out of NYC to a 4 night on the sky 5 night on Spirit, a lot of 7,10,12 nights, and one 14 night.

So far the one 14 night was the PERFECT length.

In January we are doing a 21 night on the GEM. Not worried,  I know we will enjoy the cruise, but 21 nights to be away from home is a long time. Bills, yard work, etc.

We love the longer cruises.  Our longest to-date is 19 days.  We'd love to go longer - but if I attempt to leave work for longer than 3-1/2 Weeks too many challenges arise.  Many times I am able to work from where we are staying - then I can stay as long as I like.  So far, I have not been able to truly work from a cruise (nor do I want the intrusion).  For us to leave Alaska - we generally plan a trip for a minimum of 2 weeks - land, sea or family 🙂

To answer your real question...

Does your husband like to be surprised by cruises &/or other travel?

Other than cruising - how long have your other trips lasted?

6 Sea Days - out of 15 - does not sound excessive.  Are they spaced through out the trip?

We are doing a 15 day in March:  San Antonio, Chile (Santiago Airport) to San Diego.

We are hoping to do a 19 Day this October - still working on lining everything up...

Cheers & Happy Cruising!

My wife complained at the end of our 29 day b2b on the Sun through the Panama Canal and then 10 days round trip to Alaska out of Vancouver.  Her complaint was that the Sun food had gotten boring the last 3 days.  We want to see the world, so our attitude is the longer the better for the most part.  We are going to the the Baltics for 12 days, but the best way to get there is doing a TA of 15 days.  Same deal in Asia, we did a 12 night on NCL Jewel, was just right. Gonna do 25 days Vancouver to Singapore next September, don't anticipate being tired or bored.  Heading West means a lot of 25 hour days.

For me the longer trips with many sea days means we do progressive trivia, meet some great people that way, always lots of fun.  Never forget doing 6 days at sea including a 3 day pirate watch out of Dubai before entering the Suez Canal and ending in Barcelona. There was a Thai couple on that cruise who set up daily duplicate bridge tournaments, the days went very quickly, another great bunch of people.  Gonna do it again in 2 years, hitting more Middle East ports, ending again in Barcelona. The shortest cruises we now book are 9 days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iggyc said:

Have done many 7 day cruises and considering suprising hubby with a 15 day cruise on the Star from Miami to Santiago, Chile.  Worried that 15 days may be long.  Itinerary has 6 sea days.  Appreciate thoughts of anyone who has done long cruises before.  Thanks

You will be going through the Panama Canal, a great destination itself.  Get a copy of The Path Between the Seas to learn the history of the canal.  If you don't want to read a lot of history you could skip the French part.

I say book it! What a wonderful surprise! Maybe bring along more to read or some card games. I’m going on my first vacation EVER that is longer than 7 days in January. 11 days to the Southern Caribbean! I’m really excited for all the ports and for more time to explore the ship and relax. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iggyc said:

15 day is not too long, but 6 sea days makes it unbearable for us.

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

It depends...........

We did a 14 day on the Escape last Feb.  The entertainment was really not up to par.....well, not what we like anyway....and not as many shows as our previous 7 day trip!  DH was not a happy camper. Personally, if I thought "that was the norm" I'd probably not want to cruise as much.

• Like 1

After doing an 11 day cruise in the Caribbean, we only look at cruises that are 10 days or longer, usually 14+ days.  If your cruise has 6 sea days out of 15, you have a good mix with port and sea days.  That is ideal in my book.  You will love the PC if you have any interest in it's history.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

thanks for all the input.  I gave him two choices and he decided 11 day Australia New Zealand cruise was the best option.  We are recently retired.  Did that plane ride to Asia a couple of years ago and it is a killer.  We decided that we'd rather do it again while we are younger.  South America will have to wait  -  maybe next year?  

3 hours ago, mugtech said:

There was a Thai couple on that cruise who set up daily duplicate bridge tournaments, the days went very quickly, another great bunch of people.  

All of the NCL transatlantic cruises I have taken featured beginner bridge lessons, intermediate bridge lessons and a duplicate bridge game every sea day.  About 50 or more turned up for each event.  They made the sea days fly by and I made a number of new friends.  

• Like 1

I think some of it depends upon the itinerary. We did a few long cruises (16,14) Baltic, So America. Our shore excursions had us going from 8am to 5pm and then out again in the evening after a quick bite and change of clothes. After that a sea day is a welcomed change to rest and get ready for the next port.

Some of it depends on the ship. Being on a small ship for that length of time, we made friends with many people because we kept seeing them at lunch, dinner, theater or on excursions.  If the itinerary is Europe or So American, there will be guests from many different countries leading to exciting conversations.

It will be an experience you don't want to miss.